This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Starter question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MELCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Starter question
    Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 6:06pm
1952 CA distributor tractor. New battery 6 volt positive ground. Battery will barely turn her over. Very slow. I hooked up a 12 volt battery to the starter via jumper cables ground to frame positive to starter post and……Nothing. Nada, no result at all. Cleaned all connections new ground cable with same results.
Is there a good way to determine if it is the starter? Not sure what to try next.
Acts like a very weak battery which is why I jumpered it.
All suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links

Ken Mn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Mn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 7:38pm
The battery cables for 6 volt must be heavy gauge. Cables for 12 volt application loose too much power. The cable ends that connect to the battery should be molded on not clamped on. That is also point of lost energy. Jumping in a 12 volt battery is a good idea but it is difficult to get good connections using jumper cables. I would try placing the 12 volt battery in the battery box for a quick try. 
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 7:45pm
look at the cable ends that clamp onto the battery.. Should not have any corrosion or black oxide coating inside the clamp.. wire brush, sand paper to get clean......... if cable check out OK... blame the starter motor/ starter switch............. installing the 12v battery would be a GOOD test.

Edited by steve(ill) - 07 Aug 2023 at 7:45pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 6:13am
Pull starter out of tractor, 
inspect on bench, 
bypass solenoid/switch and test spin ( secure it first !!! ),

if it spins fine..try with solenoid/switch, if it doesn't spin... swtich/solenoid is bad.

My 51 had the 'push to start' switch, many were 'upgraded' to a solenoid....

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
MELCA View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MELCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 8:07am
Thanks much for the responses. I will pull the starter and bench test. Need to get it going. Will try 12 volt battery installed first though. Cables are 4 gauge but they are TSC generic brand.

Edited by MELCA - 08 Aug 2023 at 8:10am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 8:18am
4 ga is 12volt battery I think.....
1,2ga for 6volt....

Steve@B&B will KNOW !

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 10:29am

Along with the previous suggestions, also check the bolt that secures the Starter to the Tractor.

Loosen the locknut and remove the bolt.

Clean the threads and also the nose of the bolt.

This bolt is usually the grounding between the Starter and the Torque Tube.

G
MELCA View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MELCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 7:15pm
Thanks Gary, will do that first as it is easy. Good to know…
Mike
DMac View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 8:26pm
4ga wires definitely too small. I like 1/0 or 2/0 cable with soldered ends for 6v.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 9:04pm
My WD became slow to turn over even with new fresh 6V battery. I removed all battery cables and replaced them with 1/0 welding cable, crimp connectors for the battery and the ends for the starter and the ground. Took a wire wheel to the area where the ground attached. Now it spins over like it should. Starts so much easier. That’s been 3 years ago and it was such an improvement. Most battery shops have the crimp tool and connectors. Cut the cable to the appropriate length and take it to them to crimp.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 4:32am
I know I am king of "off subject, but I bought one a cable crimper a couple years ago, that I really like.

I use mine in the vise rather than hitting it with a hammer. I find that it is much easier to keep everything in place in the vise than it is while hitting it with a hammer. 

it fits big cable and I think it does a nice job. I just crimped a cable for the "Sportsman" race car that my nephew works on. They were impressed.

Edited by WF owner - 09 Aug 2023 at 4:34am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 5:38am
If you're going to 'make your own', you should 'tin' the copper ends into a solid 'mass', then crimp or.... use a 'liquid rubber' once crimped to SEAL the connection.
Any moisture, even condensation, gets in between the zillion strands of copper and corrosion begins ...and never ends...

rrr..rrr..r

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 6:35am
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 10:21am
The crimp clamps that I use for the battery and the ends for the starter and ground are closed on the end. Slip heat shrink on the cable before the crimp and then shrink after the crimp is done.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic