This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers 444 Baler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super Mario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers 444 Baler
    Posted: 26 Jul 2023 at 12:17pm
The subject baler has a two piece PTO driveline, and the original hanger support broke a few years back.  I rigged a pillow block bearing in its place, but now the original yoke has broke.  In the future, I would like to have a piece of steel machined to replace the hanger support and find an appropriate bearing, but for now I need to get the baler operational for the next cutting.  I'm having trouble locating a generic two piece PTO driveline with a center support bearing.  Can anyone help me out with an idea to replace the original hanger support, original bearing, or an aftermarket two piece driveshaft?  Thank you.  
Sponsored Links

DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2023 at 2:43pm
It's been a while since I looked at a 444, so correct me if I err. But what I think you have is a shaft coming from the baler flywheel with a round (not splined), keyed end on it that goes through the hanger bearing, then into the keyed yoke for the front (short) section of shaft?

Hmmm, the pillow block you did is what I would have suggested. The only problem: I'm guessing the pillow block was a lot wider (longer length through the bore) than the original hanger bearing, so there probably wasn't a lot of keyed shaft left sticking out to go into the yoke on the short section. Is that the yoke that broke? Did it break because of too little shaft into the keyed bore?

If there's a wrecking yard nearby, an option might be to just grab a while PTO shaft with the carrier bearing off a scrapped NH or Deere baler and modify to suit. But if not, I'd be tempted to continue with your pillow block arrangement with a new yoke. It'll be a standard size yoke (probably a Weasler), and any dealer or supplier worth their salt should be able to measure it, look it up, and get a new one. If the problem resulted from too little shaft sticking out from the pillow block, maybe you could cut the set-screw part of the race off the bearing to allow the yoke to slide on a little more, and lock the shaft into the bearing bore with some retaining compound. It's a pretty crude fix, but it would get you by.

The 444 was one of the US built balers (unlike the 442 & 200), and I think they probably used the same PTO carrier bearing that Allis used in a lot of their stuff. So you might find one in a wreckers on another piece of Alis equipment. See this video (this is part 3, but parts 1 through 4 are all good stuff) where they're machining a new carrier bearing and fixing a PTO shaft for an Allis rake:

Super Mario View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super Mario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2023 at 8:03pm
Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your response!

Yes, you're correct.  The end of the main shaft goes through the hanger bearing with a round keyed shaft were the yoke attaches to with an end bolt.  My first break was the yoke ear (15 years ago), which was welded with a high nickel rod, the second break was the hanger (5 years ago), and the third break wasn't really a break, but a crack near the weld on the original yoke.  That's why I took it apart again because I'm not going to wait for it break in pasture.

I did find a replacement Weasler round keyed yoke.  However, it will require a machined surface at the inside end of the yoke for the bolt and washer that retains the yoke onto the shaft from axial forces.  It would be just right to also cut the original bearing surface into, but not if I have to cut it shorter because of the pillow block width.  So, I can set it up with the pillow block bearing again.  

I'd like one of two long term solutions:  1)  to find a modern two piece driveshaft with known and available components.  2)  create a new hanger support with a similar to original bearing. 

I like your idea of finding a baler graveyard.  It's not likely in my state though.  I'll change my search key words to try to find an old Allis Chalmers driveshaft.  You know it's a shame that when Allis Chalmers was disintegrating they didn't release all their patents. 
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2023 at 11:03pm
I would have everything you need for the original replacement. Except I may have to look rather hard to find that rear yoke with the key way. Most of them are cracked through the key way. I know there is a setup sitting in the front of the shop now and Will check and see everything is there should you be interested. Thanks. Dale
Super Mario View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super Mario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2023 at 8:01am
Hello Dale,

Yes, I'm very interested.  Not to worry about the end yoke because I have a Weasler replacement.  I can have it machined to be exactly like original, if I can match the original bearing.  Post or send me a photo, please.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Super Mario Super Mario wrote:

Hello Dale,

Yes, I'm very interested.  Not to worry about the end yoke because I have a Weasler replacement.  I can have it machined to be exactly like original, if I can match the original bearing.  Post or send me a photo, please.
xxxxxxxxxI have the pic but could not find the posting....I will post pic in the morning...Dale
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by orangereborn orangereborn wrote:

[QUOTE=Super Mario]Hello Dale,

xxxxxxxxxI have the pic but could not find the posting....I will post pic in the
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 3:43pm

[QUOTE=Super Mario]Hello Dale,

xxxxxxxxxI have the pic but could not find the posting....I will post pic in the
JOHN N/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOHN N/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 1:20pm
Hey dale I want to thank you in the parts u sold me for my baler,444is back in action
D-15IIG65,D-17IVG67,D-17D58,620
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic