This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD VS WD45:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD VS WD45:
    Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 8:27pm
What is the difference in these two tractor series? I was at a place today delivering a used compact tractor and a gent was heading to the field to haul hay with probably the nicest WD45 pulling a wagon I've ever seen. It is a fresh rebuild and the paint is almost deep enough to walk into. Much nicer than original. The guy I was talking to purchased the tractor new and it was his son operating it. Said he also had two WD tractors in the barn but I didn't see those. The really clean one had callouts that stated WD45.

Later in the day I was following another tractor pulling a New Holland square baler and when he turned to enter a field I noticed it was a 185 diesel. I had the windows down and it sounded nice. Tractor looked in nice shape and original. Obviously kept inside when not in use from appearance.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 8:59pm
biggest difference is probably the WD had a 201 CID motor at 30 HP and the 45 had a 226 CID motor at 40 HP .... other small differences ....... over the years some WD rebuilt to 226 spec.... WD45 has a 1/2 inch longer STROKE on the crank.

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Jul 2023 at 9:01pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 6:01am
All WD45’s had Battery Ignition, helical gear transmission, bypass thermostat, and Snap Coupler. Most WD’s lacked these except for very last year of production.

I think wider rear rims and tires were also on WD45.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 6:24am
Originally posted by TramwayGuy TramwayGuy wrote:

All WD45’s had Battery Ignition, helical gear transmission, bypass thermostat, and Snap Coupler. Most WD’s lacked these except for very last year of production.

I think wider rear rims and tires were also on WD45.

I have seen very few tractors with helical cut gears in the transmission. Even very new ones in for warranty repair. The WD45 series had these that long ago? Helical gearing is much quieter in operation than spur gearing and this gets me wondering if they were also constant mesh and full, or partially syncronized?

Thanks,
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 6:37am
The WD-series (late WD and all WD-45's) got the constant mesh/helical gear transmission at chassis s/n 127007 and up.  The early WD's basically had a spur gear/sliding gear transmission nearly identical to the WC tractor. The newer transmission was to tolerate more torque and power and was quieter running. This same transmission transitioned into the early D-17's. The only real negative to the new constant mesh/helical gear tranny was it did not like being constantly ground into gear !!! which is an operator issue.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 7:21am
Most important differences to mw would be 2 plate VS 3 plate hand clutch and engine stroke.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 7:52am
Actually, the 2-disc hand clutch was used in early WD-45's up to approx s/n 165,000.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2023 at 12:09pm
If you really want in detail, the gas distributor had a different oil fill cap, the fenders are taller on a 45, and a 45 (I don’t think) has a hole in the radiator shell for a fins in there…
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2023 at 12:40pm
The WD will burn less gas doing the same job.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2023 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

But......it will take longer to accomplish. In some cases "time is money".
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2023 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Brian G.  NY Brian G. NY wrote:

Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

But......it will take longer to accomplish. In some cases "time is money".

Only if you are using the maximum HP of the WD45 which for most jobs isn't doing.Like raking hay,mowing etc,I have both and for 95% of the things I do with them no difference.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2023 at 5:50am
If you are doing anything that takes power, the difference is very noticeable. 

In today's world a 35 or 45 horsepower tractor typically doesn't do many jobs that require much power, but back in the day, running a sileage chopper, plowing, discing and other higher power jobs, the WD45 was head and shoulders above the WD.
John Phillis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Phillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2023 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

The WD-series (late WD and all WD-45's) got the constant mesh/helical gear transmission at chassis s/n 127007 and up…

…This same transmission transitioned into the early D-17's. The only real negative to the new constant mesh/helical gear tranny was it did not like being constantly ground into gear !!! which is an operator issue.

So my D17, which is under #1000 on the serial number has the same transmission as the WD45? I noticed that several decal sets for sale include a shift pattern decal that has reverse in between 78 and 46, however my D17 has reverse all the way to the right and down, outside of 1,2,3,4 in an H pattern. It is a smooth transmission with no real noise to speak of. At what point did they change the transmission in the D17? 

We never had a wd45 on the farm, only WC, WD, and D17 in that size family. I guess I should look for a WD45 for sale, feels like I am missing something now LOL  Oooh maybe a WD45 diesel! Going to have to watch for the Mecum auctions. It seems like every time I see a Mecum gone farming auction that features a bunch of Allis Chalmers, they all sell for less than what it cost to restore and maintain them. I have a feeling that if I ever went to one of those auctions, I would be coming back with a full trailer and an empty wallet.

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2023 at 6:14pm
D-17 chassis serial numbers started at 1001, so yours can't be less than that. Yes, the D-17 transmission is basically the same as a WD-45 (in a different housing and different input shaft) and even closer to the WD-45 diesel model which has a slower ratio ring and pinion, altho I wouldn't consider the ring and pinion the transmission. The shift pattern is the same between them 1-2-3-4 and R off to the right and back.

Edited by DrAllis - 09 Jul 2023 at 6:15pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2023 at 6:18pm
You get a 1 inch long pipe spacer on top of that coil spring and this will all be worth the fight....I promise.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2023 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by 55allis 55allis wrote:

If you really want in detail, the gas distributor had a different oil fill cap, the fenders are taller on a 45, and a 45 (I don’t think) has a hole in the radiator shell for a fins in there…

Yeah I have two transition year ('53) WDs and they both have different oil fill caps (one has a tab on top, the other does not). Both were said to have come from the dealer with the distributor ignition system on them though. One has an M&W piston kit upgrade with the stock hitch setup, the other was upgraded to a Snap Coupler.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Phillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2023 at 2:55pm

D-17 chassis serial numbers started at 1001, so yours can't be less than that.

Serial number 1928, or under 1000th one built.

I have the 192nd One-Ninety built also. I can’t remember off hand but the engine has a serial number also and it is in the same range, but not identical. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2023 at 9:35pm
Straight One-Ninety ??   I had a customer that had One-Ninety s/n 1048 many years ago. Had the old original transmission and never had any troubles with it or the rear end.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Phillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 12:11am
Yes, it’s a straight One-Ninety diesel. It’s got about 2200 original hours on it. It hasn’t been used much. I think the majority of the hours on it are from brush cutting, 3 point hitch log splitter, and raking hay. Probably 6 hours a week in the winter with the log splitter, and maybe 40 hours a summer with the brush hog. I did use it for about 300 hours pulling a 13 foot allis disc from about 2007-2011, but that is when something in the rear end or transmission locked up and ever since that it jumps out of gear going down hill. The brakes were always a problem from sitting so much. Most of its problems are due to lack of use and it spent close to 20 years sitting outside or in a shed with very little protection. it also sat on a dealer lot from the time it was new, until March of 1968. I think it was bought for $8800. Priceless to me with lots of sentimental value. Great tractor, just haven’t had the time to get it apart and fix it. At this point, I would like to fully restore it. Always gets put on the back burner, especially now that the D17 is in many pieces on the shop floor. 
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 4:35pm
I believe that the real early WD45 came with a magneto not a distributor. Also I think the very early WD45 had the Snap Coupler as an option and not as standard equipment. Of course I could be wrong but that is what I remember reading once.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 6:42pm
Don't think so. Dad had a late WD with the curved gearshift and tall cylinder head and it had battery ignition from the factory, so I don't see any WD-45 having a mag. One other thing I remembered was the WD didn't have a bypass hose on the thermostat hsg and the 45 did.
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 7:04pm
I think a lot of the older, straight gearshift WD"s were converted to distributors-I know Dad's was.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 7:14pm
But, they used the mag governor housing. Dad's was the same governor housing as the 45.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 7:49pm
Just getting a memory jog but I think the mag may have been an option on the early WD45. I'd have to find one of my books (Norm Swinfords maybe) to be sure.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 8:00pm
OK Doc, you are right. The mag was dropped in '53 at serial number WD136318. I thought the mag was an option for a bit but haven't seen anything to verify that thought. Haven't opened that book for a couple years.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2023 at 7:49am

But, they used the mag governor housing. Dad's was the same governor housing as the 45.
My '52 has the tall head and distributer ignition but NO curved shifter. 114,xxx serial number.
Learning AC...slowly
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2023 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

OK Doc, you are right. The mag was dropped in '53 at serial number WD136318. I thought the mag was an option for a bit but haven't seen anything to verify that thought. Haven't opened that book for a couple years.

I have a WD136XXX serial number and grandpa got it brand new and said it came with distributor/no-magneto straight from the dealer (his older '48 WD and his WCs all had magnetos). So this would seem to match up?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic