This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Classifieds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WC with LeRoi Engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WC with LeRoi Engine
    Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 5:07am
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 7:42pm
I've never been able to get really accurate information on the relationship between LeRoi 4 inch bore engines and the A-C W-201/W-226 engines. They are soooo similar and yet they are NOT the same. I have been told by some tractor puller engine builders the LeRoi cylinder head has a combustion chamber for each cylinder (like the B/C/CA 115/125 engines) where the Allis engines were always a flat cylinder head. I've been told certain versions of this family of LeRoi engines had a 5 inch stroke, making it 250 cubic inches. The intake and especially the exhaust manifold is definitely different. I think the connecting rods are longer too. It would be nice if someone could write an accurate essay paper on this subject.
steve fischer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve fischer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 1:09pm
overhauled one year ago , was a 201 used a wd45 kit and crank ,had a flat head just like allis . All head parts fit ,  the block front main bearing lock was like the others with a tab lock instead of the top pin lock ,made my own tab in the wd45 bearing . the oil pan bolts had nuts on and a cast pan , have one in shed if someone looking for one , wild manifold 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 6:31am
Yes, I remember one person saying something about the front main bearing but I forgot exactly what he told me. So, they must have had a couple different versions with yours having a flat cylinder head ?? Maybe the 250 cube LeRoi engine has the non-flat cyl head and longer conn rods ?..  And the manifold is quite stylish..!!!
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 5:19am
I  have a 201 LeRoi motor in a WD it has the combustion chambers in the head.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 11:26pm
The advertisement heading is a bit misleading- the LeRoi is in a power unit.

I've always found this for LeRoi as a marketing manufacturer, but they were NOT shy about producing products for the other companies, nor were they married to internally-sourcing everything.  I would not be least bit surprised if there was a significant manufacturing contract between AC and LeRoi, particularly in these 'small' engines (LeRoi's 'big' engines were significantly larger)... and keep in mind... Allis-Chalmers was making engine-driven generating systems where THEIR specialty was the GENERATOR end...

The flat combustion chamber, in conjunction with a dished piston, was actually an 'inverted hemi'... and to AC's design merit, a much EASIER design to produce accurately, than trying to shape a cylinder head with a 'combustion chamber'.    Engine designers had a heckuva time getting castings to provide a consistent chamber shape cylinder-to-cylinder... but it's easy to get a consistent piston dish, and VERY EASY to get a flat cylinder head with two valves and a spark plug in it.  I don't recall seeing an Allis patent reference on that concept, but my gut says they probably did, and they probably guarded the heck out of it, as it yielded one of the most balanced (cylinder-to-cylinder power wise) line of engines out there.

I'm certain that LeRoi's LARGER engines was doing (with their chamber design) what Waukesha's larger engines were doing too-  running more chamber volume, changing piston height and dish, to get a final CR that was appropriate for the fuel type.  Frequently, an industrial engine manufacturer who did this, was expecting they'd run natural gas or propane, under higher compression ratio... or swap the head with a much smaller chamber, or a precombustion  (like a Lanova) design.   For gasoline or gaseous, a Ricardo chamber design would be the choice, and I think this may have been what LeRoi might have been aiming for...  but this is simply historical speculation on my part.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
daveingreenbay View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveingreenbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 11:13am
I was told by Lon Lefebre a former Allis Dealer at Lena Wisconsin that a Leroi Engine on a Gehl chopper was good for 75 horsepower
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic