This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7000 park and reverse

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcusburd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7000 park and reverse
    Posted: 23 May 2023 at 5:46pm
My 7000 was fine raked hay today got in it this afternoon and there was no park or reverse the linkage is moving but it doesn’t feel like normal. What could be the culprit of this?
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 5:52pm
Gearshift on the floor ??  or the twist shift on the console ?? I'd imagine a broken shift fork. Don't even start it !! Pull the cab floor and shift cover and see what's going on.
Marcusburd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcusburd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 6:16pm
It’s the twist console. It’s an open station.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcusburd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 6:21pm
I did start it and put it in the barn it wasn’t till I tried to go in reverse did I realize it wasn’t there but I drove 100 feet maybe
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 6:33pm
Any time there is a broken fork on any transmission, there is a chance of it getting wedged between two spinning gears. If this happens, the transmission is trashed and on a 40 yr old tractor probably not work fixing, due to some parts not being available anymore and hired labor rates at $80 an hr or more.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcusburd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 6:48pm
Okay I just won’t start it right now it didn’t make any sounds or anything it drove right in. But yes normally you can kind of feel it catch when you put it in gear and this it goes straight in and does nothing.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcusburd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 6:57pm
Also what does changing the gear shift fork entail on that?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 7:03pm
Just make sure your linkage from the Tee handle to the shift cover (behind the batteries) lever is all connected and nothing visually broken. You might have someone shift the lever while you watch what happens. Can't tell you what it will take until you figure out what's wrong with it,,,,external linkage or internal forks/shift rails. I've never seen one do this.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcusburd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 7:09pm
I did look into that the linkage is all moving and looks like it’s moving down into the cover atleast.
Wes (VA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes (VA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 8:26am
You have all other gears?  Or are you still in Park from being there when you shut it off last and cant get it out of park?  Either way, pull top cover sounds like a set screw backed out of a rail??
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcusburd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 10:43am
I had all of the other gears. Just not park or reverse

Edited by Marcusburd - 24 May 2023 at 10:43am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcusburd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 6:10pm
Got the cover off and reverse fork is broke off at the bottom. So maybe I did have park after all. Are these available new or do you just get a junkyard one
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 6:42pm
Check with an AGCO dealer. Used ?? I'd weld it before I'd trust a used one. Just remember don't get rough with it. I've welded probably a half dozen over the years (not on a model 7000) when I didn't have a new one on hand. Never had one break.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcusburd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 6:47pm
The reverse gear is a little chewed on but it went into reverse fine before this. Is this something I should look into addressing while here or just put it back together.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 7:14pm
Well, if you didn't have the shift cover off, you wouldn't know how that reverse gear even looked, would you ?? There are THREE reverse gears, and only ONE can be changed in chassis. So, I'd advise throw it together and be much more gentle when shifting into reverse. Grinding gears is NEVER a good thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic