This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pole barn machinery shed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pole barn machinery shed?
    Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 10:07pm
Couple of questions about builds. Are laminated post better than solid post? Is there a post that won't rot in ground in twenty years?What is best fastener to use attaching girts and purlins? I have looked at several builds around here and wasn't impressed by any.Thanks, Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 10:12pm
normally laminated posts will be straighter.... We take pressure treated 4 ft, 6 ft, 8 ft and laminate them together, then stick 3 ft in the ground... Above that are regular 2 x 6 laminated above the PT...

Edited by steve(ill) - 04 Mar 2023 at 10:17pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 2:12am
Lookup Perma ? dang can't remember full name. It's a concrete base that the wooden uprights set in above ground level. They look like a good thing, can also be put in to replace totting in ground wood. 
 Morton & others offered them shortly after I had mine built. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 6:19am
I have a friend that is a contractor that has built a lot of pole buildings. When I built mine (2011), I tried to get him, but he was already booked for the next 18 months, but he did give me a lot of advice.

We started out digging the holes to a depth of a minimum of 5'. "Frost line" for our area is 4'. We tamped the bottom of the holes, then put in about 6" of 1A (small) crushed stone, then about 6" of concrete for the pole to set on. Next we set 12" cardboard sonotubes, placed the started poles in the tubes and poured dry concrete mix in the tube. He told me to be sure to have straight sides for the concrete (sonotubes). He claimed tapered holes would eventually result in the frost lifting the concrete and thus lifting the poles. 

His recommendation was laminated poles. He advised using 12' pressure treated 2x6's. Cut one into a 4' and 8'. Put a full 12' 2x6 in the middle with a 4' on one side and the 8' on the other. Space them 8' apart. After you are out of the ground, used not treated 2x6's to your desired height. I used 2x8's. His (sarcastic) comment was "It's your money. If you want to waste it, go ahead".

The poles are positioned so the 2x8 laminate goes the same way as the purlins. The top beam (where the rafters set) is also laminated, but 2x10's at the top of the post, the center 2x10 fits directly on top of the middle 2x8 of the post. One side of every post goes flush with the top of the beam. I used 16' 2x10's starting with the joints spaced evenly.

ON ALL LAMINTES (POSTS AND BEAMS) DON'T SCRIMP ON CONSTRUCTION ADHESIVE!!!

My building (28' x 60' with a 16' ceiling) is a little different than most because I have an upstairs. I have clear span 28' floor trusses with 3/4" tongue-and-groove OSB flooring upstairs. I have 2' of straight walls above the floor and ledger board rafters with a 7.5/12 pitch. The rafters are 24' 2x6's with about a 2' overhang.

Edited by WF owner - 05 Mar 2023 at 6:23am
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 6:25am
Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

Couple of questions about builds. Are laminated post better than solid post? Is there a post that won't rot in ground in twenty years?What is best fastener to use attaching girts and purlins? I have looked at several builds around here and wasn't impressed by
any.Thanks, Tracy

Tracy before using laminated posts read what the treatment is.
Some is rated for above ground only.
Timberlocks for attaching the purlins.
They’re expensive but quick and easy.
If I was going with laminated I’d tar around each board before laminating. Tar at least 6” above the ground.
Flex-seal spray is a good alternative to tar. It gets in every crack and void. We do two coats and let cure before dropping in the concrete.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 7:13am
Next trend maybe? A return to a old method?

Saw several sonotube columns go into a leveled site last summer, had post anchors in them squared and trued to wall dimensions. Not huge, just 16 or 18” units. Steel supports extended about a foot above the concrete with a shelf about 6” above the concrete. Old boy had them made and then painted with epoxy. Shed is up, appears to have poured a floor on a gravel prep and wrapped those brackets on the three inside sides. Has heated water floor tubes in the slab. Saw those being set as he was prepping for the Concrete. Building went up as Laminated post uprights.

Cannot get on the property to see how it turned out, just a view thru the trees from the roadway so not worth a picture.
No idea how critter tight it is as still has side rolling ag style doors.

Edited by DMiller - 05 Mar 2023 at 7:14am
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 9:02am
mine is done like Steve's 23 years ago.  Not a prob as of this date,  Trusses sandwiched in between the two outer 2X8 at top.
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 9:13am
I have ab FBi building that was put up 30 tears ago using laminated posts and have had no problems with it.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 9:37am
They recently changed the codes in my local area. No wood below grade. Have to pour a sonotube and mount bracket on top and mount post to bracket . There are plenty of pole barn buildings that have been around for a long time with treated wood in the ground. Have been told no matter how well treated or coated wood will eventually rot. Probably long after we are all gone.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 10:08am
Some sooner than that Pat!!  Replaced one lower sectioned on my barn is only 12 years in place.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 10:14am
Another notable issue.  Buddy of mine built his own, did conventional Pole Barn, posts set in Quarry Fines, or Minus, he then built up from there using Pressure Treated Lumber at Toe or Rim board, primarily for bug control as that is what is for followed with conventional there up.  All the tin sheeting he placed against the Treated Toe Board chemically burned inside out, anywhere came into contact with treated even as on post or boards around door frames tins ate away.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 6:00pm
Some guys get lucky. A old 60x80 barn nobody real knows how old, my father guessed 1880. All the external post have rotted before my time, but inter posts are all good today. Native California white oak, charred when still green, hand squared with axe, about 12x12 some bigger. The outside of the lean to mostly replaced with redwood sitting on concrete peers. Leaving me to think the redwood rotted and the concrete is the second repair. Nothing level or straight anymore. But still keeps a few horses and lots of hay dry. Hoping I out live the galvanized tin roof put on in the 1930's. In the last 20 years rust has started, by now most galvanizing is gone. But starting much thicker than modern tin still very heavy.

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 7:54pm
I like the Perma Column type of piers. They are supposed to be really good. Most likely I will build my own for wet set into concrete. I am not cutting any corners on a build.  I already had my cad drawings of the Perma Column copy I will make with weldable rebar feet on them.I am thinking of doing laminate for having a straighter wall. Not sure if I will do 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 yet. I do want every bay on open side with a 16 foot span. Thinking 3 sides enclosed with 4th side with bypass doors. Not sure how deep yet but looking at 30 foot plus. Wondering what the best way to header over the clear span is?Don't want any sag. Could bar joist them, or sandwich a piece or flat sheet between header boards. Any comments welcomed. Tracy
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

I have a friend that is a contractor that has built a lot of pole buildings. When I built mine (2011), I tried to get him, but he was already booked for the next 18 months, but he did give me a lot of advice.

We started out digging the holes to a depth of a minimum of 5'. "Frost line" for our area is 4'. We tamped the bottom of the holes, then put in about 6" of 1A (small) crushed stone, then about 6" of concrete for the pole to set on. Next we set 12" cardboard sonotubes, placed the started poles in the tubes and poured dry concrete mix in the tube. He told me to be sure to have straight sides for the concrete (sonotubes). He claimed tapered holes would eventually result in the frost lifting the concrete and thus lifting the poles. 

His recommendation was laminated poles. He advised using 12' pressure treated 2x6's. Cut one into a 4' and 8'. Put a full 12' 2x6 in the middle with a 4' on one side and the 8' on the other. Space them 8' apart. After you are out of the ground, used not treated 2x6's to your desired height. I used 2x8's. His (sarcastic) comment was "It's your money. If you want to waste it, go ahead".

The poles are positioned so the 2x8 laminate goes the same way as the purlins. The top beam (where the rafters set) is also laminated, but 2x10's at the top of the post, the center 2x10 fits directly on top of the middle 2x8 of the post. One side of every post goes flush with the top of the beam. I used 16' 2x10's starting with the joints spaced evenly.

ON ALL LAMINTES (POSTS AND BEAMS) DON'T SCRIMP ON CONSTRUCTION ADHESIVE!!!

My building (28' x 60' with a 16' ceiling) is a little different than most because I have an upstairs. I have clear span 28' floor trusses with 3/4" tongue-and-groove OSB flooring upstairs. I have 2' of straight walls above the floor and ledger board rafters with a 7.5/12 pitch. The rafters are 24' 2x6's with about a 2' overhang.

I would like to see pics of how it ties at top of laminates with floor. Thanks, Tracy
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 7:58pm
For a 16' span, I would definitely look at LDL's or a manufactured truss for a header.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 8:30pm

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 10:57pm
Morton guy told me if built up where water gets away there's no problem with treated laminates in the ground. My building was  32 yrs old when end wall was removed for add on. Those laminated posts were solid as a rock so I think he knew something. Considering building a farm storage building. It will get the perma columns for what they cost and no worries about rotting. It will be raised but not as much as my Morton.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

That looks impressive. Super heavy looking! First time I have seen laminated column turned that direction. Thanks, Tracy
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 5:27am
I was lucky to find used floor trusses on Ebay for $30 each. I had the trussed a couple years before I built the garage. Since we do a lot of lawn decorating for both Halloween and Christmas, the upstairs storage is handy, but a few trips up and down the 35 steps is tough on an old man!

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 5:41am
Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

I do want every bay on open side with a 16 foot span. Thinking 3 sides enclosed with 4th side with bypass doors. Not sure how deep yet but looking at 30 foot plus. Wondering what the best way to header over the clear span is?Don't want any sag. Could bar joist them, or sandwich a piece or flat sheet between header boards. Any comments welcomed. Tracy

If you are thinking that you might ever want to put two vehicles side by side (like in my picture above), consider going to an 18' door, rather than 16'. A friend of mine that had a 16' door in his garage suggested it to me and the door you see in the picture is 18'. I have never regretted the decision for the wider door.
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 6:45am
Some good info here. I was tossing the idea around of building a "garage", or a 24x32 building with 10ft sidewalls. A place to park the cars to get them out of the snow. One thing I always struggled with is the top beam that the rafters sit on, guys up here fasten it TOO the post. Im no engineer, but it seems like it would be a lot stronger if that beam was sitting ON the post......
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 7:00am
My Morton lamented post, the trusses sit in the posts.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 7:12am
It's tough to tell in the pictures, but at least one of the 2x8's in every pole goes through the top beam.
scott View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 9:37am
The treated wood lesser grade is called a .4 treatment and the ground contact HD stuff is called a .6 treated. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic