This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D14 valve Lash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D14 valve Lash
    Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 10:56am
I had a machine shop do a complete valve job on the head of my D14.  How do I set the value lash?  I have an original AC service manual but it doesn't describe the process just says the clearance. Can anyone help with the process?  This is my first attempt at a complete engine rebuild.  Thanks
Sponsored Links

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 4:42pm
Here is a link to an I&T manual, you can download and save, for the D14 and others that will give you a method of adjusting the valve lash.  There are other methods some may prefer, but this one will give you a starting point.

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 5:11pm
Basically you want the piston at top dead center with both valves closed.. If you can see the timing mark, use that... If you pull out a spark plug, you can check piston at TOP with a dowel thru the hole... as you rotate the motor, the intake valve opens, then approx half a crank rotation and you are at TDC on the compression stroke... Easy way is to do that 4 times, once for each cylinder.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 5:26pm
The crankshaft pulley (if you can see it) has a setscrew that retains it to the crankshaft. When that setscrew is straight up or straight down, two pistons are at TDC and the other two are at BDC. Set all valves at .015" COLD.
Dean View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 5:48pm
Thanks, that will work perfect, I have the engine on a stand!

another question:  #1 cylinder is closest to the fan, Correct?

The engine turns clockwise when looking from the flywheel forward, is that correct?
Dean View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 5:50pm
thanks very helpful!
Dean View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 5:51pm
Thanks the manual is helpful
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 5:53pm
yes...#1 at radiator... and you should be able to start with #1 at COMPRESSION at TDC.. adjust.. rotate 180 degrees as Dr said to get #2 to the top.. set, then 180 degrees to #4... then 180 degrees to #3........ 1-2-4-3

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 Feb 2023 at 5:53pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 5:58pm
ENGINE TURNS CCW when sitting in the seat.
Dean View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 10:49am
Thank You, I have a lot to learn.
Dean View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 10:50am
Thank You
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic