This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Late 200 Power Director

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Late 200 Power Director
    Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 5:09pm
Posted in a new thread so it could get the traffic needed. See "what should I do" thread

ok, I was able to get over and save this poor tractor, sn 4758, so cost reduced 200. I am thinking the PD issue is a hyd issue, not so much a PD clutch issue, yet. It acts as it's just doing the usual creep in N, L or H. It will move under it's own power, but stops easily with the brakes, and pto keeps going. It's a 2 speed mechanical pto. I stuck a gauge in one of the 2 small ports on the PD valve, and it showed 0 psi, no matter lever position.  I now have a pressure gauge on the tee ahead of brake pedals. Start it and run about 1600 rpm it has 150 psi, no matter the lever position also. The spool moves in and out, but you can feel a spring resistance at each end of travel. At no point does the gauge show the 60 psi neutral spec. Parts books shows the 4001 sn and up having a revised pd valve. Is this a common problem? This tractor did get laid over on it's side, so I suspected linkage issues. Thanks for any input in advance! One other thing I noticed, is while it's running, it sounds like the hydraulics are buzzing more than should be at the front oil cooler, which is the same circuit as the pd & steering. The cooler is not bolted down to hood though, but it just sounds like something is dead heading and going into relief. 

Edited by injpumpEd - 05 Oct 2022 at 5:10pm
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 7:19pm
What's the power steering like ??????
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 7:09am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

What's the power steering like ??????
You know, a lot like regular steering, only easier, because the machine helps you!Wink
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 7:14am
steers what I would call normal. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 9:07am
Oil leaves the left rear corner of the hyd pump and goes forward to the oil cooler. From the cooler the oil then goes to the orbitrol inlet. Orbitrol outlet port goes to the Power Director valve. The "tee" connection does nothing until the operator cramps the steering wheel hard left or right, which stops oil flow thru the cooler. Oil then comes from the pump thru the tee connection to keep the Power Director alive. I guess I'd start with the priority valve spool making sure it is free and has the orifice in it. Zero pressure at the P.D. valve means oil is free flowing thru it ?? or there's no oil getting there.....
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 9:45am
It's getting oil flow to it, but not sure if the PD valve is just relieving, or if one of the spools are stuck. I want to get some insight before I just start taking pd valve apart. I am guessing the 2 small 1/8" pipe taps are for checking each side of the pd. I checked the rear port and had nothing, but didn't check front one yet. I went ahead and did the testing at the tee as my manual shows. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 10:54am
One port is for LWO and the other is HIGH. Cannot be pressure at both simultainiously.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 11:32am
I'll stick the gauge in the front port for giggles. When in the rear port no matter lever position the gauge read 0. In the tee just upstream it has 150 psi no matter the lever position. 
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 3:42pm
ok, finally got to spend some time on this, and as I suspected, the pd spool was really stuck, i was able to get it out, polish it, clean the bore with a brush and get it moving better, still not perfect. The hyd oil is not the best lol! I kept thinking the spool was stuck and the rod and lever was just moving against the springs, springs not strong enough to overcome the stickiness. So put gauge in each port and get about 150psi, and in low it will pull the engine down, and hi I can stop it and make it slip. Guessing the hi side is worn from it being stuck part way in hi. It creeps pretty bad in N and pulls engine down when stopping with brakes. At least it's usable now lol! Thanks to all that chimed in with ideas. This cost reduced pd valve is it's own animal.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 8:41pm
I would pull valve and side cover. Put air pressure in two small pipes coming out and listen for bad air leek and a clash when clutch engages.
Clutch plates should be evenly spaced.
I'm guessing  you have broke  plates and seal rings that is worn.             MACK
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 8:28am
I was wondering about broken plates too, but even in N it still has about 100 psi, so that is definitely enough to make it drag. With the gauge on the tee, at no point could i move pd spool to get pressure down to the 60 psi my IT manual calls for, on the early style valves. Is the late 200 similar? I'd think it should be nearly 0 in neutral no matter the valve. At least it's a usable tractor now lol! It was pretty useless before I free'd up the pd spool. It still is dragging. I may slide it out and take the springs off and replace with solid spacers to get it working better, temporarily. 
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 9:48am
Also, I need to get the pressure up to 275, so shim the relief that is under the pd valve on this? This tractor has mechanical 2 speed pto, I see the specs vary for pd pressure on tractors with hyd pto clutch. 
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 10:37am
Good morning, Ed. Glad to hear of progress being made on your 200. Can't say as though I'm going to be of any help to you, but just going to add this observation; on my one ninety gas, and one ninety XT diesel, the power directors (after they are warmed up) when put in neutral, are almost as good as stepping on the foot clutch in regards to dragging. Neither have much drag at all, but both grab good in high or low. My 200, on the other hand, is much more like you describe your 200; lots of drag in neutral on the PD, and takes a good hold on the brake to make it stay put. Not sure if this is something out of whack, or just an inherent trait of the 200.....???
Darrel
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 11:46am
This is what I'm questioning Darrel. Is your 200 a later gated PD tractor? The PD valve is unique to those. I don't need it to neutral on the pd, just want to make sure the spool is working right. I'm guessing there's different pressure specs for setting the neutral position on the late 200. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 12:06pm
Yes mine is gated.
I have to split mine for a clutch replacement, but after that it'll get used on various things such as feed wagon and snow blower, will neutral on the PD will be used a lot. I had used it prior to my clutch issue, and was able to get by using neutral and holding the brakes, but just don't want to be damaging anything.
Clutch plate must have piled up some of the fiber. My son was using it, he stopped it with the foot clutch just like normal in front of the barn to pick me up
When we got back behind the barn by the chopped hay pile, he stepped on the foot clutch again, and it acted as if he never stepped on the clutch at all. I've looked up into the bell housing and everything, throw forks and such, all seem to be moving properly. Stepping on the clutch, and applying the brakes hard will not stop it. Splitting it to see what's up is my only option, from what I can tell.
Darrel
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 4:31pm
My 200 is the later model with "gated" PD and it works flawless. Had trouble couple yrs. ago with it jerking like h*ll when shifting, but cleaning and light honing of control valve totally fixed it. Dead stop in neutral with very little drag when cold. A few yrs. back the throw out bearing wore through the fingers, and I fed cattle all winter shifting gears with PD in neutral with no issues. I still say the 200 with gated PD control is the easiest shifting manual PD control AC ever had. The short lever with the hand guide make it so easy to shift smooth.     
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Ky.Allis Ky.Allis wrote:

My 200 is the later model with "gated" PD and it works flawless. Had trouble couple yrs. ago with it jerking like h*ll when shifting, but cleaning and light honing of control valve totally fixed it. Dead stop in neutral with very little drag when cold. A few yrs. back the throw out bearing wore through the fingers, and I fed cattle all winter shifting gears with PD in neutral with no issues. I still say the 200 with gated PD control is the easiest shifting manual PD control AC ever had. The short lever with the hand guide make it so easy to shift smooth.     

You're describing my XT right down to the letter; hope I can get my 200 to that point. I had the same throw out bearing issue on my xt one time, and still baled hay with it like that for two nights. Not sure what causes the "neutral drag" in my 200, but I haven't used enough yet to get 100 percent feel for it. Hopefully soon.
Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic