This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electric Tractors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Tractors
    Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 7:25pm
I know California politicos have officially stated that starting somewhere around 2035 no more gas vehicles will be sold in the state. I'm not sure how many other states have made similar mandates. My question is are the tractor or heavy industrial equipment manufactures working on electrical powered equipment to meet these requirements? It's time to rejuvenate the A-C fuel cell tractor. 
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 8:23pm
JD has a few prototypes out.........

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 8:36pm
The big thing with electric EVERYTHING, is our electricity grid cannot begin to come close to being able to charge batteries, while providing our current electric needs. I guess the children running the country (Biden & Company) are happy with brown-outs all the time, but it will never affect their lives, just like $5 dollar gas doesn't affect them now. How stupid can people be ??  This kind of technology needs to be gradually brought in over 20 years or more, but by then China and Russia will be ruling the world.
Leadoff View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leadoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 11:22pm
Germany has been forced to revert back to burning coal to generate power after moving aggressively into solar and wind for the past 20 years.  The big challenge with solar/wind is reliability making them unsuitable for base load power generation.  Battery storage capability for the scale required in the world to manage base load storage is just not practical

And power costs increase when solar/wind facilities are installed,  but need to backed up with coal/gas/nuclear to provide base load reliability.  A very expensive way to provide power..........double the generation capacity required

The green solution is to live with blackouts.  I am not ready for that solution!!!

Dr Allis has noted the challenge for the Grid Infrastructure..........another detail the Greenies do not address 

Germany has learned some very expensive, embarrassing lessons chasing the green dream

1963 D17D Series III. 1965 D15 Series II. 1965 D17 Series IV. 1975 185. 1978 716H. 1979 716H. 1965 780 Harvester/1R&DC. 1957 Model 73 SC 4 Furrow Plow
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 5:59am
General Electric had an electric Garden Tractor/Lawnmower back in the 70s. Didn't sell all the well as I recall and the ones that did, were not in use for long. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 6:10am
Dr. Allis nailed it. Wait till these morons plug in all the new-electric cars and burn the grid down. 
Trinity45 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinity45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 6:43am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

The big thing with electric EVERYTHING, is our electricity grid cannot begin to come close to being able to charge batteries, while providing our current electric needs. I guess the children running the country (Biden & Company) are happy with brown-outs all the time, but it will never affect their lives, just like $5 dollar gas doesn't affect them now. How stupid can people be ??  This kind of technology needs to be gradually brought in over 20 years or more, but by then China and Russia will be ruling the world.
I agree, renewables like solar and wind cannot handle what the industry calls peak loading, the only sources that can handle peak loading are nuclear, steam and Hydro.  But these fools in Washington don't seem to care that the infrastructure for green energy is not even in place yet nor do they seem to care that electric cars are too expensive for a large portion of this population to buy.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 7:19am
AND, I heard the other day (heresay) that a replacement battery on a new F-150 electric pickup was $18,000 bucks  !! Could this even be possible ?? and if it is, what will the price be when the truck is say 5 or 6 yrs old when actual battery replacement is needed ??

Edited by DrAllis - 24 Jun 2022 at 7:20am
A&Sfarms View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A&Sfarms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 7:57am
A few years back I talked to a guy from Tesla at the Auto show in Detroit about their battery. The battery is a part of the subframe of the car. There is no battery replacement in an economic manner. You scrap the car and get a new one. I don't know if things have gotten better with reman since then or not. I know France has a huge problem with this. They went all electric years ago for taxis, government vehicles, etc. and now they have scrap yards full of not so old electric cars that are worth nothing because it is too expensive to replace the battery. The only way I see an electric tractor be feasible at all is if it has quick change batteries similar to power tools or electric forklifts in a factory. But then you go back to charge that mammoth of a battery and you'll need a mammoth of a charger for it and we are right back to the problem with the grid. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 8:57am
France, Germany and Italy ( and more) are reopening their old coal fired power plants.. There is NO REPLACEMENT until they develop the new "NUKES" .... working on units that will power a small city of 10,000 homes... Will be hundreds of them SOMEDAY... probably take 20 years from now.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 9:07am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 9:29am
JCB of Britain has video out of there electric loaders and backhoes.  But then they easy you into hydrogen is better option for mobile equipment, and are putting lots of effort into it.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 9:53am
I keep hearing Green Hydrogen is Coming, is no such thing just a invented idea.  To be green it would have to take less energy to produce than delivers and that just does not happen.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 10:29am
RE: Europe re-starting coal power plants.
At least they have the old coal plants. In the US the Dimwits would create a hair brained "Cash for Clinkers" program that would require you to destroy the old coal fired plant.

Seems to me the utility/grid people are keeping mum about grid collapse.
But it could just be the news don't want to talk about it.

DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 11:30am
It would be ok for a chore tractor that runs a couple hours a day then gets parked close to or in a shed to recharge. But not practical for a custom crew running 6 big combines and a couple cart tractors and a fleet of semis, running between 12 and 24 hours a day. Or a road construction crew running 20 big bulldozers,track-hoes, and off-road dump trucks to recharge every day.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 12:33pm
"Green Energy" is a pipedream of the scientifically ignorant and the mathematically inept.
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 12:45pm

How many you-all are using battery powered drill drivers?
How do the construction guys get through a day with battery powered nailers?
Electric weed whackers?
Factory fork trucks?
Swap battery packs... Or swap machines.

Home/Farm solar is a solution. It might take ten acres of panels to charge custom combine business  every day.

What I think would be cool: Tesla motor kit and battery block to convert an old stuck motor Allis WD over.

Or retired farmers that don't use their panels much after planting and harvesting to sell the power to the local city.

That's where I changed my attitude about electric everything. A farmer can control his fuel.

Edited by jvin248 - 24 Jun 2022 at 12:47pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 12:58pm
BUTT, BUTT......... WHO is PAYING for the Solar Panels ??  and they crap out in 10-15 years also ...... coal fired power plant has a 60 year life.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 1:11pm
JCB sells a backhoe that they target towns/cities that is battery. Mainly used as it does not disturb people with engine noise. 
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 4:18pm
As usual; Doc hit the nail on the head. But the far left liberals have complete control of the "Energizer Bunny" and "Laughing Hyena" occupying the White House. 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 5:48pm
from JCB's own website for the mini excavator...
The 3 battery pack will last  for 4 continuous hours, equivalent to a full day's work, subject to the type of job.

Since WHEN is FOUR hours considered a FULL days work in heavy construction ?????

Everyone I know usually works 10-12 hrs a day....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 6:00pm
For a 400 Hp tractor running on battery, to work a 12 hour day, would require a 3600KWh battery. I was able to find a 3000KWh battery, and its cost was $280,000.00.
A friend of my Wife's, was telling us about the solar panels they put on their roof, with a three day battery backup. The cost of the solar panels was $34,000.00, and they save $240.00 a month. At 5% interest, the solar panels will be paid for about the time they need replacing.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 6:19pm
Must be the NEW MATH that tells you spending $34,000. NOW will be a better idea, than spending $240. a month for the next 12 years and KEEPING MOST OF YOUR MONEY DRAWING INTEREST in the mean time.... Wink   Clap
jeickman01 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeickman01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 7:59pm
This probably belongs in the other forum re political crap but what you all are missing in this conversion is the magical fairy dusting of federal funding that comes out of nowhere until it bites you in the a..  in the form of inflation or worse yet,
 the ultimate downfall of this country.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 8:02pm
local COOP was going to get a 1 MW wind mill about 10 years ago.... I questioned the COST......... Director reply to everyone...  "Well, if the FED pays for 50% and the State pays for 25%... it is ALMOST WORTH WHILE" !!!  LOL 
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 8:57pm
The guy that put all that coal and oil in the ground, meant for us to use it.              MACK
Leadoff View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leadoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 9:55pm
An old quote comes to mind.......

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help" ,,,,,,,,,,,,, President Ronald Reagan, August 12, 1986

1963 D17D Series III. 1965 D15 Series II. 1965 D17 Series IV. 1975 185. 1978 716H. 1979 716H. 1965 780 Harvester/1R&DC. 1957 Model 73 SC 4 Furrow Plow
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 6:03am
also...
'defecit budget' (all guvs....)

and..
'minimum payment $10' (on credit cards)
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tenn allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenn allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 7:00am
Just heard our county school system has applied for an electric bus. Has a 100 mile charge takes an hour to charge it and battery replacement is $100,000 and they talking a 5 year life
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 7:13am
And, where do all those batteries go when they are used up ?? Nuclear waste material doesn't take up nearly as much space as batteries, does it ????
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic