This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 power director lever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 power director lever
    Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 7:03am
Up into this point my lever has worked for high and low without any issues but over the weekend while moving some round bales things changed. Now the only way that I can get any gears to work is if the lever is pulled back towards me in low position( it won't even go in reverse and move unless the shifter is in low) lever pushed forward I've got nothing? Did something break or where should I look for first? Thanks Matt.

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 05 Oct 2021 at 7:05am
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 7:30am
I would guess hi side plates all broke.                MACK
Gatz in NE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 8:07am
Probably what Mack says, but easy things first
Is the set screw on the bottom tight?

Edited by Gatz in NE - 05 Oct 2021 at 8:09am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 9:15am
Set screw where?
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 9:21am
Set screw and locking nut is on the bottom of the handle where it pivots on the shaft. Loosen up nut and tighten the screw (actually a bolt) then lock with nut.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 9:23am
Two important questions: #1. Can you pull the hand clutch lever any farther rearward than normal??  If not, there is no loose setscrew. #2. Does the hand clutch lever feel just fine when placed in the forward position and does the lever stay fully forward without you having to hold it there and does it "snap" when pulling it out of high side ??  If so, you have broken driving discs in high side.

Edited by DrAllis - 05 Oct 2021 at 9:24am
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 10:24am
Anyone have any experience with TRIBCO power director clutch discs?
Tribco Inc. - Home of Clutchtex and Braketex, the first 100% KEVLAR fibered textile composite friction materials.

Power director clutch for models D-10, D-12, D-14, D-15, D-17, D-19; 170, 175, 180, 185, 190, 20070261212, 70257672(old)700
OD7
ID3.89
THICKNESS.120
32 teeth wet
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 10:55am
Ok, I believe by the two important questions that my high plates broke.why would it not move in reverse with director in high then?( Only moves in reverse with handle pulled back in low now?
I don't even want to think about fixing right now so can I just keep in low till next spring when done using it to move round bales?
Thanks Matt

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 05 Oct 2021 at 10:58am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:30am
Reverse transmission gear has nothing to do with your complaint. Your complaint (as I read it) is the tractor will only move in LOW range of the Power Director clutch. HIGH range doesn't do anything. So, you didn't answer my question as to whether the Power Director lever feels normal and "snap" in and out of engagement in HIGH range ??????
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 1:00pm
Oh, I did answer by the 2 important questions.
All I know is no movement in forward position (high) and no reverse movement unless in low.
My next question was can I use it the way it is until next spring when I can have time to break it down and fix it?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 1:15pm
Is this a SHUTTLE clutch tractor ??????
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 1:54pm
It's a 1959 series 1 d17 wide front. What I'm speaking about is a large lever on the right hand side when you're sitting in the seat that you have to push a button in with your thumb to get the lever to move either forward or back. I'm not sure what that means about a shuttle clutch? I've always used it as a high or low variable speed...

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 05 Oct 2021 at 1:56pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 2:18pm
Not a shuttle clutch. One more time.....does the hand clutch lever "snap" in and out of high range ???????
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 2:29pm
I don't know I'm not with the tractor right now but what I'm asking is can I use it this way for a while until I get it
It does stay in low range in any gear, just drives slower obviously

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 05 Oct 2021 at 2:35pm
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 8:01pm
There’s a very good chance it’s like MACK and Doc says, broken clutch plates in the high side. I had that happen to mine.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 5:18am
Can I use the tractor if they are broke on the high side If I keep it in low?This happened about halfway through moving around bales and once I realized that it would still go in low everything seemed fine no noises or anything. I know it's not the perfect scenario to be using something that has broken parts inside but I really don't want to have to break a tractor in half to fix if it will work in low till spring?
How much of a job is it to do?

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 06 Oct 2021 at 5:19am
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 9:16am
I don't know for sure but suspect can use in low without hurting anything. However I am not certain. The broken plates may harm the steel plates. Wouldn't matter if you want to replace it all. Im pretty sure you can upgrade plates to a later,larger tractor for bullet proof PD...but maybe i'm confused.  Doc and MACK know and maybe they'll eventually answer your "can I use it" question.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 10:50am
Yeah, like I said earlier nothing seems to make any noise or acts badly in low but I'm just not sure about a long-term use like from now till spring before I can get it fixed
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 5:20pm
It’s hard to say if continued use in low would make it worse. When I pulled my D17D apart, the friction plates were broken but the steel separators were still useable.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 9:39pm
That's like asking how long is a piece of string. If all hi plates are broken, they can stack up and try to engage, worping the steel dividers, or pieces of broken plates will be running through gears and bearings. Best to fix it. Not a big job.                      MACK
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 4:57am
I moved lever back and forth last night. It seams to snap in tightly in low but feels very loose/ disengaged pushing it into high
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 5:57am
That's the answer I was waiting for. It sounds like linkage that may have come undone if high side feels funny. Id be pulling off the side cover and inspecting it. EDIT** Could be the compartment is very low on oil and the brass throwout bearing has burned up on the high side ?  Quit using it in the meantime.

Edited by DrAllis - 07 Oct 2021 at 7:21am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 7:19am
Ok, can you tell me/ show me how to go about removing side cover( need to drain oil or do anything else first?)
Any drawings on this linkage?
Thanks Matt
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 6:38pm
I'm gathering from reading other people's posts that I may have to drain the oil out to remove this side plate? Then that will give me access to the linkage?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 7:47pm
Drain plug is directly down from the foot clutch pedal and takes an 1 1/8" wrench. You should get 2 to 2 1/2 gallons of oil if it is full.  Before you do that, why don't you place the hand clutch lever fully into LOW range and gently move the lever forward and backwards a little bit and tell me how much sloppiness/freeplay there is. I don't want you to hit neutral !! I'm just trying to figure out how loose the brass bearing is inside. The top of the lever shouldn't move more than a couple of inches.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 6:31am
I'm not sure where I would notice any sloppy -ness or Freeplay? Tractor running you mean?( Meaning sideways play ? )If I push button on top and slowly move forward I'll hit neutral...
One thing I've noticed is with tractor in neutral( before this happened with no high range)as it's sitting there running the whole tractor rocks back and forth slightly ( probably a different problem?)
I'm hoping I don't have to split in half b/c I don't have over head hoist strong enough to hold both halves separately/ stabilized...
Thanks Matt
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 7:34am
The lever only moves forward/rearward, not sideways. Sloppiness (if there is any excess) will be more than usual forward/rearwards. No overhead hoist is needed to split that tractor.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:44am
I've been swamped with other projects so I'm getting back on this soon. From what I can tell I should possibly be looking to see if just the linkage came loose, but to do that I will still need to drain the oil correct?
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 8:24am
I'm liking this thread Matt.  I've got a Series I that has a problem with the PD.  It won't move at all, it's stuck in low, I can't shift it.

DrAllis, you said; "No overhead hoist is needed to split that tractor".  How do you do it?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 10:01am
Block the wide front axle pivot so the front half cannot lay over sideways. Jack under the hydraulic sump using a 2 x 4 block of wood to bite into the casting. Block both sides of the front wheels so it cannot roll. Split the tractor at the instrument panel. Slide a 4 ft long pipe (1 3/8" I.D.) over the PTO shaft as a balance tool. Three people....one on each rear tire and someone to steer/balance the pipe. Tractor will split nicely and balance pretty close. Place safety jacks under the rear end after rolled apart 3 feet or more. The straighter you roll it apart, the easier it will go back together. I did a series 3 by myself (on concrete) a couple of years ago. Went back together by myself too, using some pretty long line-up dowels.

Edited by DrAllis - 19 Nov 2021 at 12:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic