This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D15 Limited Lift Travel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ric44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D15 Limited Lift Travel
    Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 8:39am
Guys I have a Series II D15 I've owned for a couple years now but has always had a aggravating problem . The lift works ok and is strong but seems to have a very limited amount of travel on raising and lowering . It doesn't seem to pick up as high as it should nor does it lower the lift arms anywhere near the ground . I do own a shop manual (if I could find it )  but no operators manual that would tell me how to use the lift . I'm sure its probably an adjustment it needs but have no clue where to start . Oh BTW it does have the factory 3 point hitch . Any help would be appreciated . Thanks

Edited by ric44 - 24 Jun 2020 at 8:40am
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 9:08am
How many implements are you using on this tractor?? Does your complaint involve each and every one of them?? or just one ?? Raising the top link connection point on the implement will make it raise higher off the ground. Lowering the top link connection on the tractor will also do this, but I don't think you have multiple holes on a D-15 top link anchor. I don't expect the draft arms to drag on the ground when fully lowered, altho some tractors might do this, but not all.
ric44 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ric44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 9:19am
About the only implement I use is a bush hog and a blade . I realize I can change the pitch of the hog with the top link but that doesn't really affect the lift arm travel . I don't expect the arms to go ground level but they are a foot and a half from ground at lowest point . could the top link be holding them up too far or limiting the upward travel of the lift ?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 9:28am
The top link position does indeed affect the lifting height of an implement, especially at the rear of the implement. To get the draft arms closer to the ground, you can lengthen the adjustable lifting links, but that will then make it not raise as high. Are there two holes in the draft arms for the lifting links to connect to?? Maybe try the other hole....
ric44 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ric44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 9:46am
Yes there are indeed 2 holes in the draft arms and at present they are bolted through the outboard hole .  After looking at it just now it seems in the proper position to lift fully just really needs the lift arms to go lower as I cannot hook to the hog without really blocking it up .

Edited by ric44 - 24 Jun 2020 at 10:55am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 10:04am
Move to the inner hole and the arms will go down farther. Lengthen the adjustable lifting links too.
ric44 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ric44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 10:26am
Any easy way to free up the adjustable lifting links ?  They aren't really frozen but impossible to turn by hand . Penetrating oil daily for a week or so might do it ? The grease fittings both took grease but those fine threads on the coupling seem to be the problem .
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 10:50am
For what it's worth I just checked my Series 1 D 15 . At it's lowest point the lift arm is a bit over 7" from the shop floor . Should add that mine is a Cross 3 point conv . HTH

Edited by ACinSC - 24 Jun 2020 at 10:54am
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 11:29am
re: adj links....
take them 100% apart, CLEAN them !,  40-50-60- years worth of builtup grease,dust,'hard pasty stuff' on BOTH internal and external threads will make them really hard to adjust, Once clean then apply a light coat of oil. probably 'like new' after that.....

Edited by jaybmiller - 24 Jun 2020 at 2:28pm
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 2:24pm
Fired my D 15 up today and the lift arms are about 27" high when it's up all the way . That's about 20" of travel I'm thinking . HTH
ric44 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ric44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 4:29pm
Maybe someone with a factory 3 point hitch will chime in with some lift arm travel measurements . Be interesting to know if it corresponds to mine . I plan to take the hog off tomorrow and get the draft links freed up . Thanks for everyone's help .
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 6:11pm
Have you tried the simple stuff?  Mainly hyd fluid level, on dipstick near your right foot.Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 8:58pm
Here you go, factory 3 point hitch arms unscrewed to the lowest position.  I am willing to bet that your threads are jammed full of crap in a higher position.

Here is the amount of threads I have showing on the arms...

'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
ric44 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ric44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 8:17am
Thanks to DSeries4 for excellent post and pics . Shows me exactly what I need to know . Y'all are great .

ric44 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ric44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 10:12am
Ok back at it this morning . Got one of the draft adjusters free the other one is coming around . Here is a pic of the lowest my lift arms will go even with me standing (300lb) on them . As you can see its nowhere near as low as it should be . I pulled the dash lever lift control down past its detent and I can hear the valve unloading but the lift arms only go down this far and thats it . Took a pic of some more linkage thats hooked to the quadrant arm and I assume it has something to do with the traction booster ?  This  has me puzzled for sure .uploads/19309/IMG_0099.jpguploads/19309/IMG_0098.jpguploads/19309/IMG_0100.jpguploads/19309/IMG_0106.jpg

Edited by ric44 - 25 Jun 2020 at 10:21am
Gatz in NE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 10:44am
If nothing else resolves the issue, there's a remote possibility that someone has repositioned the lift arms on the splined shafts in an effort to raise an implement higher, thus limiting travel in the lower position.

Also, be aware that there is a roll pin inside the threaded link . It's only accessible when the link is threaded in.  You don't want to force the link out of thread engagement when unscrewing it; doing so will really jam things up.

Edited by Gatz in NE - 25 Jun 2020 at 10:59am
ric44 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ric44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 10:51am
After looking at the linkage in the third pic it seems to me that someone may have repositioned the piece that clamps on the rockshaft and that the linkage rods are in a position that prevents any further downward movement of the quadrant (upper) arms . Gonna try loosening the 2 bolts to see if it will let the arms drop lower .
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 10:54am
The "lift" arms should go a little below horizontal when fully down. If they can't go below horizontal, something is wrong. You were told yesterday that about 20 inches of total UP/DOWN travel should be expected. This would be at the draft arm pull ball. Use this good information !!    The large screwdriver slot adjustment, tighten it up (clockwise) several turns. The lift/lower lever (long lever) has to be pulled all the way down as far as possible and maybe even below the quadrant and left there while standing on the arms.
brettssac View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettssac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 11:00am
And remember a factory 3pt 15 has position control combined with the traction booster. My 15 looses adjustment ever so often and does this
BX2,IB,WC,D15IG, D15IIDX3,D17DI,IID,IIID,IVD,D19DX3,D21II,HD3,185,AND GOD ONLY KNOWS THE EQUIPMENT
ric44 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ric44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 11:05am
Ah yes brettssac I can see that . I think I'm homing in on the problem now . I think that clamp on my rockshaft is in the wrong position and keeping the arms from dropping any lower .

Edited by ric44 - 25 Jun 2020 at 11:06am
Gatz in NE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 11:06am

looks like that bracket is bent ....

Edited by Gatz in NE - 25 Jun 2020 at 11:06am
ric44 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ric44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 11:09am
Gatz  it was bent up against the axle housing this morning and I took a crowbar and bent it back down to more or less where it should go . I have no pic or diagram to go by however .

brettssac View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettssac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 12:11pm
Yes the clamp on the rockshaft is what always moves on mine it’s just clamped with those two bolts and yours looks like it is clocked wrong like it has slipped I’ll look at mine when I get home
BX2,IB,WC,D15IG, D15IIDX3,D17DI,IID,IIID,IVD,D19DX3,D21II,HD3,185,AND GOD ONLY KNOWS THE EQUIPMENT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic