This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

F,M,L Straw Walker ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: F,M,L Straw Walker ??
    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 5:09pm
I have been driving past a M2 that's sitting along a fence row. The more I look at it, it sure looks like the walker area is "roughly" the same width as our F2, the housing is WAY longer. Do the larger machines have more walkers? Seems like a K series only had 3 walkers, but didn't know if each successive model added more walkers Smile. Thanks
Sponsored Links

Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 6:30pm
F and M had 4 but each were different width and or length. L had 5 and are different width than M.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 7:04pm
On a side note, what % 'age of cleaning is done with the walkers, or does ALL of the grain end up on them ??
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 8:57pm
Depends a lot on the crop, amount of materials going through combine and speed of operation.       MACK
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

On a side note, what % 'age of cleaning is done with the walkers, or does ALL of the grain end up on them ??
In the case of a 7700 Deere it's about 10% on the ground Wink
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 9:18am
Correct me if need be, but isn't grain loss over the walkers is pretty hard with a Gleaner, due to the 3 stage separation (on the L&M, 2-stage on everything else)...at the cylinder, then the separator raddle, then the walkers...by the time it gets to the walkers, a lot has already been separated out. 
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 1:58pm
The sidehill MH Gleaners I put up pictures of a week or 2 back (or 3???) all had the Allis grain loss monitors. For calibration you could turn off chaffer or walkers. In the crops we cut (barley,safflower,and oats) 90 % of the time loss was the chaffer rather than walkers.

With climate being dry crops did not grow a large amount of straw. As well a harvest time being hot and dry,I am sure this had a big affect on how crops flowed in the separator. So other conditions may have had different out comes.   

I thought I had heard or read the L and M where the same separator,just one straw walker width wider on a L. Any truth to this?

Edited by Ray54 - 11 Apr 2020 at 2:08pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 2:13pm
In 200bu corn I can carry kernels out the walkers (F2 4-30's). That's running over 3.5mph. Too many shucks to sift it through.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

ad heard or read the L and M where the same separator,just one straw walker width wider on a L. Any truth to this?
Yes sir. Most everything is the same, which is why some people say the M series is a more durable machine...same size shafts/sprockets/bearings/etc, but in a 1 straw walker narrower package
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 3:42pm
I don't think you get much walker loss, an old timer told me once if it gets to the walker it is gone. I am sure that is not 100% true.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 4:26pm
Depending on crop and/or conditions, each straw walker can be adjusted forward or rearward.
Moved forward, the walker can grab more crop residue from raddle.
Moved rearward, the walker grabs less crop residue from raddle chain.

But usually , if grain is moving into walkers, it probably hasn’t been threshed properly at cylinder or walkers are too far forward. If threshing is proper, but walkers are too near raddle, then the grain filled residue isn’t allowed enough fan air to float straw/shucks between raddle & walkers, letting grain fall thru to cleaning shoe/chaffer.

Edited by AC7060IL - 11 Apr 2020 at 4:44pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 5:20pm
Sadly, my original question was HOW MUCH crop/grain got thrown onto the walkers of ANY walker GLEANER Cry .Not sure where you guys are coming up with "walker/chaffer" loss Confused.
This wasn't my intention at all Smile.Mack made an observation though, I will narrow down my question to soybeans and corn crops, yields/ground speeds are "undetermined" LOL
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 7:33pm

Not sure where you guys are coming up with "walker/chaffer" loss Confused
I guess I started that. Sorry. From my experience, when I discuss separation and cleaning amongst my farmer friends, loss is right there with it, so I guess that's why I subconsciously took it down that path. 
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 7:53pm

Sadly, my original question was HOW MUCH crop/grain got thrown onto the walkers of ANY walker GLEANER Cry .Not sure where you guys are coming up with "walker/chaffer"
That is nearly impossible to answer. It depends on crop condition, operator settings, speed and without taking a camera and watching it myself and then deciphering what I'm looking at..... to get a percentage...... from my prospective..... no can do and it would be only a guess on my part. That said I'd say in corn or soybeans there would be a lot less grain on the walkers vs small grains. That's the best I can do.

Edited by Lonn - 11 Apr 2020 at 7:55pm
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic