This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woman Auctioneers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woman Auctioneers?
    Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 11:46pm
I don't know why I think of these things but what the heck.Has any one here ever heard of a woman Auctioneer.I mean one that sits in the back of a truck like the ones at most farm sales.I dont ever remember one.There is a lady in town who does upscale Home and personal estate auctions,but she's not stepping in any cow@#&%.Just curious for some reason.Just can't picture one.A pretty one could probably do well for herself.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Sponsored Links

clovis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clovis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 4:19am
I have seen a few women auctioneers.

One of them was decent, and the other one would put you to sleep. The second one was not nearly as good as she thought she was. I'm not sure who she thought she was fooling.

It was funny to see her sell tools. She would never identify the item, except to say "You are buying this one, that one, and what Tom is holding in the air." I never heard her say anything like "Let's sell the Craftsman breaker bar, the Snap-on ratchet, and the Matco 1/2 inch extension." When she cries, it sounds like she is selling to a group of idiots because she talks to loud, with the wrong tone, and literally pronounces each and every word completely. Some folks might like that, but her arrogance about herself is very off-putting....if you have all day to sit and listen to her to sell half a tool box worth of tools, and still stay awake for the afternoon.

The one thing I liked about the first woman auctioneer was that she didn't put on any airs. She'd say stuff like "Fella's, I don't know anything about these three items, so speak up and tell me what we're selling next. Jimmy here says this is an '52 Allis WD-45, and it is going to sell today, regardless of what it is. Who'll start me at $500?" 

Oh, and I know of lots and lots of bad male auctioneers, but only a handful of really good ones. Where would I ever start with that list of bad ones? Oh, maybe I'll start with the guy that says "farty" instead of "forty".        
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 7:10am
Got a couple around these parts. 
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 7:25am
Had one locally, she had quite the following and attractive.  She had more at her ring than the auctioneer at sales.  I think she married and no longer sells at auctions

Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 8:01am
Pat

I think you got the labeling wrong.  I think they are called auctioneers.  Kinda like all the flagman warning signs being changed to flaggers. :-)
DaleG/SIL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaleG/SIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 8:26am
There are a couple in this area.Both will get there hands dirty.Will do more for you as buyer and seller than a few past auction association presidents will.
steelwheelAcjim View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 7:50pm

As an auctioneer myself, I have worked along side  both men and women auctioneers.  In my opinion, a female auctioneer is just as qualified as a male auctioneer, so long as she has the knowledge to market what she's selling properly.  In regards to farm equipment (which is mostly what I sell) there are very few women who have the knowledge to know the difference between a combine and a corn picker. It's comes down to education.  When I went to auctioneer school, I met a gal from Illinois who really knew her stuff.  She was born and raised on a farm so she was always around this enviroment. Every chance we got we would talk and compare storys about tractors and combines,(she didn't much care for Allis').  Without knowledge of the items thier selling (and a good sounding chant) they will not get any respect from buyers.  

1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 9:36pm
weve got one in our area thats been doing it for about 40 yrs. her husband lost his auction voice some yrs back & just works the wagons & ground now. their daughter auctions too for about 10 yrs now . their considered to be one of the best in our area.
Anthony View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 10:44pm
We have one in our area and she makes you want to pull your hair out, the WORST call I have ever heard, and she thinks she is good. She is kind of shinny though. Her call gives me the the same feeling as when somebody runs their nails down a chalk board........... 
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 11:05pm
Thanks for the response's guys.I knew someone on here would know.Glad to hear there are a few out there. Lack of knowledge of the Items selling would keep quite a few from suceeding,Male or Female.I figured there would be some Daughters of Auctioneers out there that took up the family Business.God knows enough sons take up there father's businesses

Edited by Pat the Plumber CIL - 22 Sep 2010 at 11:08pm
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 11:13pm
There was a young gal out here a couple of years ago that had won awards in national contests, I haven't been to one of their auctions lately, so I don't know if she is still at it. I know it was hard to keep your mind on what she was selling LOL!
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 3:10am
<<<<agrees with clovis, nevewr heard a good female crier....but would like to!
Brian S(NY) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian S(NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 3:43am
Mcfaddens brings in a chick from penn. to help with the auctioneering at his auctions. She does ok I guess.
God made man.Sam colt made man equal.
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 4:50pm
My grandmother was an auctioneer back before her passing....she was good....and if she didnt know what something was....she'd ask....she was pretty sharp on most things though.
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic