This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Working on the trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Working on the trailer
    Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 9:43pm
After 8 hours of sanding I think a good wipe down with the lacquer thinner the thing will be ready for a coat of primer. I had to take it down to bare aluminum in places. I've never enjoyed sanding before but with the new sanders and the 3M decal erasure, 2 hours on top of the sanding, it wasn't too bad. I wore out the 3m unit and the old gal bought some cheaper ones on line. That was sorta a mistake. They left sticky yellow rubber dust all over the side of the trailer. I've never used a hvlp gun before so I'm gonna check out some U tube and drop out and see my pal at the body shop. Gotta rebuild the whole walk in door too. Rotted out at the bottom, Iowa winter salt has eaten into the aluminum skin. I got a deal on some sorta plastic to glue to the new plywood. Old boy I got it from told me to get some help to do this . Once the glue on the plastic touches the glue on the plywood you aint gonna repossition the plastic. Its some sorta glue made for this plastic. Not common stuff. About 50.00 per qt. Wish this darn old gal would quit getting these ideas. Unfortunately she wants IHC type red with hardener on the sides.
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 2:47am

Hey Tom,,,even tho I ain't doing much of the body and paintin anymore,,I done a chitload of it in my time,,,and sandin was my least liked part of the whole thing,,!! One thing to keep in mind is to run your fingertips an all the sanding and what edges you can "FEEL",,,you will see em when you paint..
 Whatever gun you use just remember "Two Light Coats are much better than one heavy coat. and dependin on the kind of paint you are usin,,allow some flash time between coats and you are less likely to get a run.
 Harbor Freight carries a $25  HVLP gun that paints as good as a $500 gun I used to have.
  PRACTICE  is the key word here,,,just get you an old metal barrel and practice so you can get your gun settings how you like em before you start throwin paint on the motor home,,,,just practice some and you'll be OK,,,,Good Luck,,,,Clap
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 8:22am
I will second that on the HF paint gun. It's cheap but it works good. My only suggestion is to make sure the air source has a good water filter on it. I had a descant filter and still used a couple of those little red in line filters from HF connected at the end of the air hose to stop any moisture right before the air got to the gun.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 6:09pm
if your painting aluminum, you need an ETCHING PRIMER to get it to stick good long term...I wipe things down with acetone on a rag... It dries in 2 seconds... Lacquer thinner can desolve some original paints and primers... watch it..  Hf paint guns seem to do a good job. Have painted a couple trucks and couple trailers  / tractors over the last 12 years..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 8:15pm
Thanks guys. I was wondering about the lacquer thinner. I could not remember if it was lacquer thinner or acetone. I'm gonna head to town tomorrow and pick up some and some hardener for the final coat. I did pick up the HF gun a couple of months ago. Now I gotta figure out what brand of air dryer to pickup. Will probably stop at Northern tool tomorrow or maybe NAPA. They used to have a lot of painting stuff.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 9:14am

Well,,,Tom,,Don't be like ole Shameless and get us some pics,,,OK,??
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:48pm
I heard that!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 3:40am

UMMmmm,,Shameless,,,,did you get the camera phone O sent you,,,,?????WinkWink
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 7:54pm
I wish I could figure out how to post pictures. Gots the primer on and 1 coat of this red paint. It is ugly. I'm gonna head in to NAPA tomorrow and gets some GM or Dodge Red. Old gal wants to go with me and pick out paint. I think its gonna be a long morning tomorrow.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 7:57pm
Tom........... can you send pictures in an e-mail ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 8:01pm

Tom, Tom, Tom, just stop your belly achin,,,you've been givin a way out,,,and,,,and,,,,you gots to take advantage of it,,,,!!  From now on,,,,it's gonna be HER CHOICE of paint and you be home free,,ClapClap
 Ummmm,,,you don't have to thank me just yet,,,,,,LOL
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 9:06pm
DJ. Well I just spent another $130.00 for red paint today. I was able to get a single coat on her. It was not quite ready for a wet sand at 6.00 this afternoon. It sprinkled a little, just enough to be a good wet sand. Ya I gotta do it outside on my new cement slab. Maybe in the morning after the dew dries up. I gotta pull the walk in door and rebuild it. If its raining I may pull it tomorrow and take it inside. Should be easy, lay it on plywood, trace and cut. Tough thing will be getting the wood center core thickness right.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 9:32pm

Hey Tom,,,what  "IS"  your hurry with wantin to sand that FRESH paint,,,??? lots of factors in setting the time needed for the paint to dry enough that you can start sandin...things such as amount of thinner or reducer added,,amount and quality of Hardner used, ambient temp, humidity,,,while some painters limit those parameters,,,they KNOW what sandpaper they can get away with and "how" to use it ,,,Take your time,,give it at least two days to dry so you don't have to do it all over again,,,,,,Clap
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 10:04pm
Yep Joe I am not in a hurry. She is. I forgot the hardener. Any problem just putting it in the 3rd coat? I will wet sand this 2nd coat with 600 grit. 3rd coat will be with 1200 grit, then a darn good scrubbing down and 3 or 4 coats of clear. Now she wants her emblem on each side.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 10:27pm
Tom...me thunks...yer "P" "whipped"!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 2:05am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

Tom...me thunks...yer "P" "whipped"!

Well,,I ain't sayin nuttin bout that,,,, Shameless,,,,he,,,he,,,just gots his priorities pretty much layed out,,,,WHICH really ain't  too bad an idea,,,saves him the need to do any "figurin",,,,,there,,,,thas better,,Clap

Hey Tom,,,I'm not sure bout addin the hardner only to the final coats,,,maybe some of the shore enough painters here will chime in. I've always mixed up all the paint, reducers, hardners ect in a 5 gallon bucket beforehand  just so you don't have to remember what you did or didn't add,,,,
 I'm thinkin the 600 might be a tad aggressive,,I've always started with 1000 cause all you want to do is knock off any imperfections and give the rest of the paint a flat surface to lay on. Follow with 1200 or 1500 on a good sanding block. You HAVE to get real close to SEE what you are doing while sanding. The scratches you leave,,,are the ones you will see in the finished product.  GOOD LUCK,,,,!!!!
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 9:40pm
Depending on which modern paint you use, if you wait 2 or 3 days to sand you'll be kicking your back side for waiting that long. Two hours can sometimes be plenty. Just feel of it and see how it feels. Get a can of cheap black paint. Stand back a couple of feet and spray a guide coat over your new paint about like the speckles on a turkey egg, not heavy. Sand it with a light hand and then buff. You'll love it.      Leon
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 6:39am
If you haven't top coated it yet, you can contact the paint company rep and ask the question. I know when I was painting cars 40 years ago for a living that would have been a no no as the hardener less paint needs to cure by evaporation of solvents out of the paint, and the hardener added paint would cap that process off creating problems for the paint underneath.  Hopefully that's all changed with new high tech stuff for every occasion.

Edited by chaskaduo - 20 Sep 2019 at 6:40am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 10:45am

the hardener less paint needs to cure by evaporation of solvents out of the paint,

All Right,,Chask,!!!!,,,It was true back in your days 40 years ago as well as in my days 20 years ago,,,,,Clap
 You HAVE to allow the thinning substrates to "Flash Off" before puttin more paint on. whatever thinning agent you use HAS to go somewhere and if covered up before it all flashes off the paint over it will mostly result in tiny holes in the next coat of paint. Talk to your paint supplier as they all pretty much use 15- 20 minutes between coats as a guidline.  Good Luck,, Clap
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 12:33pm
Like I said its been a while, things must have gotten better. I remember when Imron first came out, that was the cats meow, 2 coats coverage. I think I still got my Binks #7 out in the pile I mean garage.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 3:30pm

Yeaah Chask,,,the imron was good paint and the shine would last longer than anything of those times,,,
 Yep,,them Binks 7's was good guns,,,,ooops gotta go,,,,
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 4:43pm
I learned on Synthol, and the newer acrylic enamels at the time, and of course the laborish lacquer.

STOP CHEWING THEM PALMS!!!

Edited by chaskaduo - 20 Sep 2019 at 4:48pm
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 5:27pm

STOP CHEWING THEM PALMS!!!

Well,,,stop posting them horendous pictures,,,,you better don't,,,,,Wink

I  do deee,,,clair,,,,them legs gots to be 57-58" long,,,,whooooeeeeee It'd take a pretty long while to work you way all the way up,,,,,,,,UMmm,,,NEVER MIND,,,!!  You gonna get me in trouble,,,the wife wantin to know what I'm lookin on this site,,,,she done noticed my poor ole palms too,,,,,Wink
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 6:20pm
Well we wouldn't want to get youz in trouble, poke poke. LOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 1:12am
awwwww Joe...quit yer slobber'in, it's prolly a tranny dude anyway!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 2:27am
   Well,,,,"it",,,UMMmm "she",,,,UMmmm,,,,"her",,,,him,,do gots a kind of manly look to thet face,,,,but I figured a nice thick towel would do the trick,,,,,,

What YOU doin lookin at the nasty pic,,Shameless,,,???LOL

them are nice ,,,,,Ummm,,,things up there too,,,,!!! chit I better go check out youtube,,,see if they's any new videos on tractors,,,,,,,,WinkWink
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 11:05am
Prolly a Tranny. Ha, Ha, Ha LOL. Wait a minute that might be why only the rear side angle Stern Smile. Hide that Michelle bump Dead.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 9:18pm
Gots the paint on it. Old gal bought some Menards painters tape. Mistake #1, it came loose in a couple of spots. Was able to clean up decent. Was using Marten Senior(sp) enamel. For not having painted in 35 years it isn't too bad. It was painted this way for recognition. We can Tell the folks to look for a white trailer with a big old Red stripe on the side. Tomorrow I gotta head to church then head south and help mom celebrate her turning 97 years old. Then turn around and travel to Menards for 2 sheets of 1/2 inch plywood and 2 sheets of 1/8th inch hard board to rebuild the walk in door. Gonna be a real long day tomorrow. Dog gone retirement anyway.

Edited by 200Tom1 - 21 Sep 2019 at 9:19pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 12:12am
tell yer Mom Happy Birthday from me too!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 1:39am

OH Chit,,,Tom,,,I had no idea you were gonna use Enamel,,,,you are one brave fellar to go after a paint job with Enamel ,,,,can be done but it does have it's own set of rules for application. Havin said that,,I prolly sprayed more Acrylic enamel in my days than anything else with Imron a close second. You done good,,,!!! So,,don't be a Shameless and get us some pics,,,,Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic