This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Atlanta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atlanta
    Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 5:14pm
After watching Daytona last week I figured it was too wet to do anything today so I watched the Atlanta race. I have to say the new rules cutting back horsepower has helped with the racing looked like the old days and three wide for most of the race
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 6:53pm
I missed it but glad to hear this.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 4:38am
Yeah maybe it'll turn back into racing rather than riding
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 7:26am
I still miss the old Atlanta track.  It was so unique, what was it, 2/3 of it was curve?  Demanding, a challenge, different!  Now another Speedway Motorsports Cookie Cutter.  Oh well.

They had to change the rules again, eh?  From what I hear, nobody could beat the Fords last year.  Figures.....every time somebody begins to figure out the best of the current rules and dominate, they change the rules so everyone has a chance again.  Now I'm remembering so many of the reasons why I lost interest.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 8:50am
 Hey TBone,,,thats kinda how I feel  bout racing  "You run what you brung", "If you can't run with the big dogs,Ya gotta go home" , "Leavers lose" ,,,,,  I always figured Racing was all bout the best drivers, the fastest race cars, The Hemi Superbees come to mind,,The 427 Fords,,,and the best pit crews,,,,,,There have been "eras" when the different mfgrs produced the faster engines and I never liked for nascar to bend the rules to make things all equal,,,CHIT,,,,  thats what we got goin on with our education system now, in that they want everybody to receive a prize,,,
  I always been proud of the  "individualism" that has made America Great and produced all the inventors and world renown scientists, entrepenuers, and world leaders that have made America the best country in the world. Where would we be if everybody was held back so the others could "catch up",,,,???
  OK,,I'm done,,,sorry for the rant,,,,,
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 10:16am
Not sure about what races you been watching.  Seems like Toyota has been right up there in the domination department!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 10:26am
Not sure who your comment is directed at, if at me and the Fords, I was specifically talking about 2018.  As Joe says, there has always been "eras".  What I don't like, is historically he who cries the loudest gets the rule change, and that happens regardless of brand.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 10:32am
I remember late 90's.....Rusty Wallace had changed from Pontiac to Ford.  Which left Pontiac with a bunch of also rans.  After a couple of years, Pontiac hadn't won a race.  Now if you like or hate Rusty is irrelevant, fact is he won races.  So going into The Winston All Star weekend, Pontiac had cried so hard about the rules, they got a big rule change that could be practiced for 2 weeks since the Coke 600 was at Charlotte the weekend following The Winston.  Rusty rankled a lot of feathers when he called the rule change ridiculous and stated he would lap the field if he got to drive a car with those rules.  Everybody cried BS, so his team built a Lincoln Mark VIII that resembled the rules a Pontiac could be built to, and he was tearing up the track pretty much proving his claim.  He did not race the car obviously, as it was not Nascar licensed/ sanctioned whatever. 
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 11:08am
it doesnot matter what the rules are , racing is racing and you still have to be the best to win.   i does not matter what form of motor sports they all have rule packages and they change from year to year.   its also about putting on a good show, without fans there would just be some back yard grudge matches ,   also automobile motersports are trying hard to keep veiwer ship up  , cars arnt cool any more like when most of us on this site grew up  (american graffiti era ) i would call it   any one who dosnt think racing isnt hard hasnt raced on any kind of organized leval
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 11:31am
Ya Hud, there's that.  I guess it isn't so bad when they change rules from year to year.  It's when they change rules mid season that ticks me off.  Obviously, someone can take the rules package and be fast, so get to work and come up with a way to beat them rather than crying about it.  This doesn't happen so much anymore, with the pretty much "everyone-drives-the-same-car" chassis and body rules there are now. Er.....as I understand it.  Been out of interest of it form over 10 years now.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 11:39am
As for popularity?  The Donny Allison v Cale Yarborough fight in Daytona 1979 launched the beginning of the rise in popularity.  A snowbound east coast had nothing better to do than watch the race (only part of it on ABC's Wide World of Sports probably), but the race and the fight and the aftermath were exciting!  Now you have a bunch of same car driving robots who aren't allowed to express any emotion or displeasure with "The Nascar" or each other.  Get out of the car, thank "Godyear", and that's it. 

When Jeff Burton was asked why his brother Ward had such a stronger accent, he said he grew up in the south end of the house!  Probably be labeled a racist if he said that now!!! Haahaha  There's just no character in it anymore.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 11:46am
re:
you still have to be the best to win

not really.. according to the 'math' you can take the crown and not ever win one race.

I don't watch anymore cept the last 10 laps,cause the 'stage ' racing ,is, well, silly and childish, probably 'sponser' driven. As far as I'm concerned ,drop the green,race 200-250 laps, and see who grabs the checkered flag.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 11:57am
When they adopted Plate restrictors and all the accidents occurred I quit watching, run around the track in a pack just boils down to pit crew car setup and tires after that.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

re:
you still have to be the best to win

not really.. according to the 'math' you can take the crown and not ever win one race.

I don't watch anymore cept the last 10 laps,cause the 'stage ' racing ,is, well, silly and childish, probably 'sponser' driven. As far as I'm concerned ,drop the green,race 200-250 laps, and see who grabs the checkered flag.
So in your opinion, it's easier to be consistent for 10 months than it is to win by a nose one weekend??? 

Edited by Tbone95 - 25 Feb 2019 at 12:14pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 12:37pm
yup, according to the math..it's about 'points'. youcan probably goto 'nascar.com' and figure it all out.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 12:47pm
I know that.  That's not what I asked.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 4:33pm
I don’t think the France family likes Ford much. I really think they don’t like Jack Roush oh oh and I don’t think they like Jeremy Mayfield. That stunk up nascar more to me than anything.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 4:38pm
I don’t think the France family likes Ford much. I really think they don’t like Jack Roush oh oh and I don’t think they like Jeremy Mayfield. That stunk up nascar more to me than anything.
As far as being good to win well I ain’t buying that. Michael Waltrip could win in a DEI car and run 37th in anything else.
I was a dirt tracker for years. In 2012 I was racing for a points championship at NWA Speedway. The other guy and I were neck and neck all season. He drew a smaller number than I 12 weeks in a row. I got a good idea how racing works.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 8:51am
That's an excellent point Thad!!!
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 9:44am

Pretty sure NASCAR is anti Ford, pro Chevy. They banned big blocks after the hemi Fords and Dodges were killing the chevies. When the T-bird arrived and became the most dominant car ever, the only reason chevy won is because nascar handicapped the Fords. I remember mid season one race the chevies got to lower their cars one inch Ford had to raise theirs one inch and the next race Ford finished first, second, third, Hotrod had the article about the race on the second to last page. After that they started messing with the spoilers till chevie caught up.

The whole restrictor plate deal was to keep the superior high flowing boss Ford heads from reaching their potential. With no restrictors at full rpm and bigger cams the chevies couldn't compete. Did you notice Dodge dropped out because their small block head wasn't that good and nascar could care less. As Engine Masters magazine and their engine competition have written the hemi and the boss heads are the best ever designed for a passenger car.
The new chevie and Toyota heads are excellent heads but they are race inspired.
Toyota never made a pushrod engine till they designed one entirely for NASCAR,baffeled by that one. Stock car,yep.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 10:45pm
I don't think any body that watched racing years ago is going to like it today. Unfortitly the sport can't go backwards. Much is becouse somebody got hurt or killed and they implemented some kinda safety thing. But nothing like the win on Sunday buy on Monday days
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 1:32am
Yep the old run what ya brung days. I remember an interview with Lee Petty years ago. He said, they would drive their race car to Sears, buy 4 tires on Friday, race Sat or Sunday and go back to Sears next Friday and get new set of tires free, under the milage warentee. Sure don't do that today.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 3:09am
RACE??? How can you call it a race when all they do is turn left? Along with limiting what can be done to the cars. I see more heart stopping excitement every day just going around the stupid circle around Washington D.C.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 9:34am
any one think they can drive a foot from each other at 200 mph for 3 or 4 hours in a 100 degree car and not crash or just get lapped ?
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 1:20pm
Right anyone that has the balls to get out there at the speeds they run is doing more than just turning left. I will say it's not what it used to be but they weren't running 200 MPH back then either
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic