This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shovel handle ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shovel handle ??
    Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 10:05am
Found an old made in the USA shovel with a broken handle laying outside the home place barn . Seems nobody sells handles much anymore . Guy at the hardware store said a handle is $12 and a new shovel is $9 . Guess everything is disposable these days .
Sponsored Links

JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 10:12am
Our tractor club was given a bunch of replacement handles for shovels, hammers, axes, etc., from a commercial store owner who just couldn't sell them anymore and was taking up too much space,  The boxes full of handles filled an entire wagon, we stored them in a barn and pull the wagon out every spring and fall and sold handles at our swap meets.  Didn't sell a lot but a few each time, finally a vendor offered us money for the entire load and we have the use of our wagon again.
Maximum use of available resources!
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 12:10pm
Yeah JW , I can believe it . Thanks
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 5:27pm
I get 'em at farm auctions, seldom pay more than a buck apiece...Wink
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 7:23pm
Those handles represent a modern day dirty word... WORK.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

Those handles represent a modern day dirty word... WORK.

That's no joke, I bought an old 11lb post hammer last summer to drive the pins out of a crawler tracks.  I was replacing some cedar rail fence posts a while back and grabbed that post hammer and gave one of the posts several whacks.  Didn't take long to put the hammer down, crawl in the bobcat and commence whacking on the post with the bucket.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 7:43pm
Gettin old doesn't help either...Unhappy
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 7:55pm

General store few miles away that has big rack of all kind handles.Store goes back over 100 years .Owner past last month hope family carries on .E N Washburn General Store.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 9:17pm
Probably could find one at a store in an Amish area.  I finally just bit the bullet and bought a nice spade with a fiberglass handle.  Don't plan on ever buying another one!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 10:24pm
An older guy at the what Cheer Iowa flea market spends all winter making them. I've bought a couple and they fit pretty good.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:03am
keep the fiberglass handles out of the sun, or you will be replacing them, plus picking fiberglass splinters out of your hands.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 6:58am
My Dad's gone and I'm guessing he was the last one to use this shovel. Just wanna fix it and maybe it'll be useful for many more years . I'll find one sooner or later . Thanks
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 7:29am
If you get impatient and decide you need to get it done, I'll bet you can order one from Lehman's Hardware in Ohio, they have online ordering.  I've called them about a hard to find replacement item, they didn't have it but gave me a phone number to a hardware store a few miles away that did.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 8:55am
Thanks JW . I'll check it out.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:22am
good luck finding wheelbarrow handles !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

good luck finding wheelbarrow handles !!

Menards
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:33pm
Best thing for a broken handle on a wheel barrow is to fill it with dirt and plant flowers in it.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 1:02pm
EJ, local hardware store near the farm still sells wood handles, I might even have one in the shed here at the house, just put one in neighbor's shovel a month or so ago. If you don't find one send me an email or pm and I will see if I can get one for you. Brand new shovel is usually close to the price of a wood handle but it doesn't have any sentimental value.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:25pm
Thanks Hubert . I still have a couple more stores to check . I may take you up on your offer .
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:46pm
Seems I have about 10 or 12 shovel heads here now and the lack of a handle at a decient price will probably mean I will have them around for a long time yet .
 To good throw in scrap and a one of these days job . 
I had garden tools for years that belong to my folks (from the 50's) then somehow in all the changes of storage and use of shop - things have become disposable items as handles are rough and open grained wood or fiberglass now that has turned from yellow to a off white . ( Somehow my sons seem to have adopted the everything is replaceable tomorrow attitude) Sure isn't something they were taught by me !
  When i was doing the sewer work needed some shovel handles and sent oldest son to fleet farm to get a couple handles (they still stock them) he came back with one handle and about 6 low cost shovels - seems 2 shovels were the same price as 1 handle - but it seems those handles would not fit into the good heavy shovels  
 Remember one day my uncle was using a shovel that was my grand dads - he finished digging with it he scraped it clean - grabbed oil can and oiled the blade , then hung it up in machine shed - said his dad had whipped his but when he was young for leaving a shovel outside when he finished using it and the lesson has stuck for 60 years, well in his memory  

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 03 Feb 2019 at 2:50pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 4:22pm
Coke, good lesson there. Back when everything was not "disposable" people had to take care of their tools. I try to take the time to clean and oil mine and also use linseed oil on the wood handles. Got some shovels at the farm that need handles.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 5:14pm
Lord have mercy on anyone caught spankin a kids bottom now days.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:05pm
Ain't that the truth Elliott!!

Best way is to go to farm auctions.  You get a whole handful of shovels, rakes, brooms for usually a buck $.  Take the old worn out ends and put your good ones on.  Takes a little labor, but well worth the end piece.

I'm like Hubert, when you're done, rinse it off GOOD, let it dry and then add oil and wipe down the handle with linseed oil and HUNG UP!  Not sitting on the ground in a corner....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Robert Musgrave View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Musgrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 11:01am
House Handle Company and Link Handles have an "on-line" presence and also have available the wooden and steel wedges that go with the handles.  Worth it today, as steel in these old tools is so much better than today's products--steel will scour and hold an edge--definitely worth replacing. www.SeymourMidwest.com ;   R. Musgrave
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 5:35pm
Thanks Robert! My son just sent me that house handle link today . I will call them soon .
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 8:47pm
A stout Hickory branch and a 6' lathe, a belt sander and 20 minutes...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 5:37am
Some years ago I started putting a heavy coat of varnish on my handles. Haven"t replaced one since. Plus keeping one clean and inside really works good also.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:07am
 My son bought a shoval with a fiberglass handle,,,got done with it and forgot it on the sunny side of his house  and the FG ones are even worse than wooden ones bout falling apart when left in the sun,,,,,,,
 I like Leon's idea of the varnish,,but you can't beat puttin em up INSIDE,,,,,Clap
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 1:53pm
Just ordered a shovel handle from House Handle Co . Should have this shovel in working order soon . Thanks
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 8:43am
Mailman brought my handles yesterday . I also had a plumb hatchet with a broken handle . I've got both fixed now . Thanks for all the help
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic