This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 gas vs. diesel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 gas vs. diesel
    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 5:26pm
I would like to add a D17 to my collection. Ultimately I hope to be crop farming up to a whopping 40 acres someday. I know, I know, pretty much gardening compared to todays mega farms.  But, its going to be my little hobby farm.

What would be better, a gas or a diesel? I know the diesels had problems with headgaskets and liner heights, has there ever been a solid solution for that. I have no problem fixing the engine on one.

But on such small scale farming, does the economy and lugging power of the diesel outway the higher cost?

Just spitballing here, so I can figure out what I should be looking for when I start my next treasure hunt. Lord knows I can't buy anything turn key, I always have to find one with something wrong with it to get it down into my price range.

My cousin had a Series 1 with a loader and snowblower and a really nice homemade cab on it that needed a clutch. I told him I would buy it if he didn't get any bites on Craigslist. He put an ad up, asking like $4000 for it, some guy showed up the next day and plunked down the cash. Yikes.
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sponsored Links

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 5:55pm
I'd buy s GAS tractor, PLEASE leave don't get one of them old 262 Diesels and farm with it. I rebuild them a lot and they eat dollars by the truck load. 
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 5:55pm
Nebraska Test shows the following fuel consumption at varying HP levels:   Gas uses 4.5 GPH @ 53 HP--- Diesel used 3.7 GPH @ 51 HP.        Gas uses 1.8 GPH @ 2 HP--- Diesel uses 1.4 GPH @ 2 HP.       Gas uses 2.9 GPH @ 26 HP--- Diesel uses 2.1 GPH @ 24 HP.   There's no doubt diesel uses less fuel, but there's also an injection pump and injectors to maintain versus spark plugs and ignition points on a gasser. Back in their day, diesel fuel was 10 cents per gal and gas was 15 cents. Not so any more.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 6:08pm
I have a series 4 diesel, wide front-3 point. You could not get it away from me. In the 35 years I have ownd it, 1 injector pump/injector clean up and 1 head gasket. The only reason I would buy a gasser would be for ease of starting in below zero weather.
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 6:11pm
Using those numbers on fuel usage the gas at 4.5gph x $2.09 gas = $9.41 per hour to run

The diesel at 3.7gph x $2.97 farm fuel = $10.99 per hour to run

The gas would have a few more hp, start easier, run over $1.50 an hour cheaper and be easier to find parts for in my opinion.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 6:16pm
And those numbers are at 100% load, which would be like plowing.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 6:50pm
For 40 acres, you may want to bump up your hp a little. The d17 will be on the light size for most more modern equipment. These tractors are 50 years old now so I don’t like to pull the guts out of them, maybe help keep them around a little longer. If you stay determined on a d17, I’d go for a series 4 w/3pt and a gasser. Just my opinion.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 7:31pm
Tractors must be high in your part of the World,if I had $4000 to buy a tractor that'd be the only one I had to farm with it wouldn't be for a series I D17.
Joe(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 7:47pm
Buy yourself a nice 190 XT diesel and be done.  D-17 is a fine tractor, but a 190 can be had for a similar price. 
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 8:42pm
On that kind of budget you can get a decent 7000 series and have a lot more tractor, but I know that wasn’t the question.
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 9:44pm
I guess I think all Allis stuff is high around here... I pert near shed a tear when I see other guys haul a tractor with attachments home for a couple hundred dollars.

This is all good information. I was worried about this turning into a "what kind of oil is best" kind of topic.

A 190 would be sweet as well. But here is my train of thought. I have smaller equipment that we use for a food plot. Three bottom plow, 8' disk and drag, grain drill, and two row corn planter. I plan on starting with a 10 acre field and see where it goes from there.  Can I farm up to 40 acres with a WD and that size equipment? Sure, but its going to equal a ton of seat time.

I don't know. It may not ever even happen. If I would get a 190 I would have to get all bigger tillage equipment to go with.

I just don't know. Awhile back I looked into the inputs, and even without having to pay rent, it seems like a fellow would do a little better than breaking even in a good year? Sometimes I think of setting up a small farm for a tax shelter of sorts?

This is all just supposition, I'm mostly looking for ideas and advice.

JBergie View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBergie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

Tractors must be high in your part of the World,if I had $4000 to buy a tractor that'd be the only one I had to farm with it wouldn't be for a series I D17.

Tractors around here (MN/WI) seem to be a little higher priced here because of the shorter 'working' field season (or so I've been told by a few farmers). Regardless, I'm in the exact same boat- searching for a D17. *Missed out on a good one up for auction that went for $2,200- it was a great deal because of all the work that had been done on it.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 10:49pm
I love my D17D, but it cracked the head recently. Unless you have a check book that can tolerate these unexpected expenses, find a good gas powered tractor.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 11:47pm
Are you guys saying a gas powered D17 would have more horsepower than a diesel D17? I've never been on a diesel, but I figured it would be the other way around. I once had a guy tell me his diesel D17 had 80 hp.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Brian Jasper co. Ia Brian Jasper co. Ia wrote:

I love my D17D, but it cracked the head recently. Unless you have a check book that can tolerate these unexpected expenses, find a good gas powered tractor.

Your experience brings up another good point when you own only one tractor it needs to
be something that is easily repaired and parts are easily found.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 6:33am
To Ranse:  A D-17 gas had 53 HP and the diesel had 51 HP at the PTO as tested by Nebraska Test in Fall of 1957. Your friend forgot to mention the 80 HP version must have had a turbocharger on it ?? even at that, a D-19 turbo diesel was only 66 HP and was known for blowing head gaskets. I'm afraid your friend didn't know what he was talking about.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 7:19am
Like the Dr. says or if he did an engine transplant. My neighbor put a 433i out of a combine in a D17 that produced 80hp on the dyno.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 10:48am
Marv,
You have several other tractors that can do some of the light work on your 40 acres too.
 The D17 would be the big dog. I like the Series I that I have with gas engine. I helped farm about 120 acres for years with two WD45's. The D17 would have been a nice upgrade and as you mention the equipment fits. I hope you can start to work the 40 acres!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:44pm
Don,t know how much time you have to farm, but people used to farm a half section with a D 17, would think 40 acres would be easy with a D 17.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:51pm
Series 4 Gas would last you a long time and be the most versatile with heavy duty 3 point.

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 1:11pm
D-17 gas, for cost control. Plus it is quieter.
How about a 175 diesel. Parts are easy for the Perkins.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 3:50pm
Since you mention up to 40 acres someday, and have plenty of smaller equipment now, may want to consider a decent D15II SC gas tractor that you can add a 3-pt. adaptor to. This would get you started and a decent D15II can be had for 2500-3000.00.Easy enough to sell later as you expand but bettin you would keep it. I own 25 acres with 100 additional attached to mine on lease for running beef. After getting my seeding done and established with a D15II when I bought the place, still reach for one of the D15 units 95% of the time. I have some trees and the D15's are easy to maneuver but I have no hills to speak of. D17IV gas w/ factory 3-pt. was used this year for cultipacking winter wheat/oats/rye and she has now had a whopping 25-30 hours put on her over the last five years. Wanted to keep her lubed and she played with a 1350# Brillion. 
Just be careful as it is addicting when one A-C is brought home.
I have plenty that just never get used like I thought I would, including a 185, 190XT and a D17DIV as the D15's still get it done including just putting out round bales tonight.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 8:23pm
Growing up, we had a WD45 and a CA.  We farmed 120 acres, 90 tillable.  We had corn hay and wheat.  The wheat was a hold over from the horses.
Those two tractors had a lot of hours on em but were never down in the 20 years I was with them.  Just normal little things (usually carelessness from the operator) and the normal maintenance.
We milked 25 cows, raised chickens, pigs and horses.
With what you have already, you have PLENTY of tractors to work 40 acres.  Granted the WD has less horse than the 45, but it really wouldn't matter.  If you were to add a D-17 or WD45 to the fold, you'd have more than enough to handle whatever the Good Lord can throw at you.
I've got a D-17 gas that didn't even get started this year.  But then, I'm not farmin either......just hobby farmin.  Playing mostly,,,,,I'm too old to be working honestly any more..Wink
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 9:40pm
That's something to consider too. Big brother has a D-14, and if junior helps out to boot, we can cover a lot of ground, literally. Maybe I should save my money for seed and fertilizer!

The main attraction to the D-17 for me is two fold. The hi low, and the seat is ahead of the axle.   More gears and more operator comfort with less catapult!

dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 11:02pm
i use a wd45 an a d17; on 60 acres. works fine; by rights should be farming 160 but o well' work ground with the 17 an plant with the wd; the gas tractor has more power' an your not at the head land working on it.

Edited by dawntreader74 - 26 Nov 2018 at 11:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic