This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winter project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter project
    Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 6:23am
OK guys am I nuts or brilliant ? I'm tired of the stones and small rocks in the wife's 1/3 ac garden. Soil is loamy, fluffy, LOTS of 'ponypoop' added past 4 years.
My idea is to make a trommel with a scoop up front to get rid of the stones. Like a potatoe digger, but instead of the wide spaced bars, a rotary trommel for screening. I'm thinking a small(5-7HP) gas engine for spinning the trommel so any small tractor can pull it.
 comments ?
ideas ?

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 7:16am

Howdy Jay,
   Better off getting rid of the pony poop instead of the rocks ! Horse manure good for some garden plants but not in most garden plants.

Kurzy
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 8:18am
The 'ponypoop' is actually 'stable sweepings' (mix of poop and shavings)from local farm, maybe 50 horses. I'll turn it once a month, then afte ra year that goes into the garden.Everything is better since it went in, hoping to get 2000# pumpkin next year.
Have a cover crop of rye on the garden, it'll get turned under come early spring.
The stones are my ememy..dulling the hoes in a few minutes...sigh.
Jay

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 9:53am
I never had a problem with horse manure.  Some of the best years of my gardens.

Find yourself a couple of scrap clothes dryers.  The rollers inside and part of the drums might be a start.  Then build on that.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:07am
Everything in moderation. Manure is geat, but 3" every year put on and you're going to get an excess of some nutrients.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 1:48pm
The pony poo/compost is working for Jay,if it works don't fix it. I have the best garden when I clean my corral and barn of horse/ cow poo and hay leavings. 

Hang on Jay my turn to poke youWink. You could of used them loaders you junked for the D14. Just slotted the bottom of the bucket and sifted the top foot of your garden. LOL  

I am the wrong guy to have a clue how to get rid of rocks,that is the crop I can grow best. I had a guy that was doing landscaping that use to help hauling out of my fields if I let him have them.

BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 3:25pm
He wants a way to remove the rocks and stones. And leave his nive soil where it is.
I think the 'RockHound" skid steer attachment is what a landscaper would use.
I had heard they only get rocks about 2" deep at most.  So moldboard plow (or potato plows, big shoe cultivators), Rockhound, plow, Rockhound.... 3 or 4 times?  And you need a place to dump the rocks. See www.rockhound.com. ; A local rental place would have let me have a tracked skid steer with the attachment for $450 dollars per day. I ferget if they delivered and picked up. But they rent trailers for $85 per day. Perhaps find a local contractor and make a deal.

As for building your own soil screen device, sounds like a lot of work. But an idea I had was to build a large peat roller type device (3-4ft in diameter, 5 ft wide). With loader tractor dig up and dump rocky dirt in roller basket , close door, drive the roller tractor around garden till only rocks in the basket,  drive to dump area, open basket, door, drive fwd until rocks dump out, close door. Repeat. The door would be the trick.  I was thinking a split door that opened in. Looking axially, common door hinge at 12' o'clock, sealing door jambs at 10 and 2 o'clock.  When open the doors drop in towards the center axle it can be latched in that position, and also in the closed position.
Sounds like a 3 person 2 tractor operation. And rocks get concentrated in some other area, to be cleaned up later. Also basket will be running over previously dumped  rocks at some point and that may kill it eventually. It was only half-baked, needs more refinement perhaps, or forget it. But no PTO shafts, chains sprockets, gearboxes and stuff like that. All Flintstones technology.

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 4:20pm
I'm  a big fan of back yard engineering, at least 50% of the stuff I've built over the years didn't work but some ideas did so I say go for it!!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 5:31pm
If I were making a small scale screening outfit, I would find a vibrating plate tamper, with a wore out motor, and put a 'lectric motor on it.  Then mount to a table, and frame, using springs for the screen base to table base connection. Often thought of doing this, as I keep lookin at that damn wore out tamper, sitting outside one of the barns...
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 7:59pm
Rent a rock rake for a day and be done.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 12 Nov 2018 at 8:04pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:04pm
That's what I was thinking Dave, but up where he lives, the best crop they get is rocks....they just keep pokin out of the ground!
As for horse manure, it is one of the best things you can put into a garden.  A LOT better than cow because horses don't eat weeds.
The bad part of it is if it's hot.  That'll burn up nutrients and plants.  Just leave it sit for a while and let it decompose.  It works GREAT.  My Mom had the BEST garden!!!  Sure wish she'd of given me a LITTLE bit of that green thumb though.  I'm so bad, I can't hardly grow hair....Big smile
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:53pm
Might help if we knew what size of rocks you are trying to get rid of. My chain type potato digger only let's stuff under an inch fall through. When you say it dulls the how's in a few minutes, I picture gravel, (1/2-3/4" stones).
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 11:52pm
friend of mine commandeered sum kids, said he'd pay them a nickle for every rock they picked up outta his fields, he has piles at the fields edges that will fill straight trucks. said it was lots cheaper than paying for repairs or buying a rock picker! plus he's been selling them rocks to people that want them to make fireplace faces.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 6:10am
OK more details. Wife's garden is about 50 by 350, more or less making it 'fun' to turn the D-14 at the ends. East 1/3 where giant pumpkins grow is great,can't member a stone in that section. Naturally, the West end  for veggies has my enemies lying in wait. Most are 'gravel' sized stones like TF says 1/2-3/4 though there's a lot that 2-3". There's a few mamas and papas that'll bust the shear pin of the 5' tiller.Been thinking and maybe next Spring I'll use subsoiler, then 3f plow, then cultivators, then rototill, then use the landscape rake. I'd still like to build a mini trommel. I do have a 100+yr old potatoe digger in working condition all stead treads are perfect ! I'll look at the spacing on it though I have to duck around the 'presents' Shamless is sending me...

Jay

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 7:08am
Hey Jay-

You and I are on similar projects here.  My dad lives down on the river, with about a foot and a half of beautiful black dirt, on top of limestone.  He built an addition onto his house about eight years ago, and all that beautiful black dirt, with plenty of limestone rocks, came up here to my farm.  I recently moved the pile to the front yard, in a long stripe, where I'll be separating out the rock.

My first gadget, is a vibrating screen... the whole thing made from salvaged parts.  It's a small single-axle trailer on 12" road tires and springs.  The deck surface is expanded steel, with 3/8" holes in it (not the coarse stuff).  I've mounted a shaft across it with offset weights swinging on the outside, driven by a little Honda engine rescued from the junk pile (was for a trash pump, but the crankshaft end broke off, and the remaining portion of shaft was strangely metric, so nobody could figure out how to make better use of it).

So I've got this trailer that I just park where I want dirt, and I dump a few scoops from the loader into it, it shakes all the dirt out.  When the trailer is full of rocks, I roll it over to my rock-pile and dump it, then back to the yard and run more dirt through.

Since I finished it at about the same time we got all this rain, and then the frost came... I haven't had opportunity to give it a good test, but once the dirt is dry enough, it SHOULD make quick work of it.

I've got a rough idea for a pretty large trommel, as it's tumbling has the inherent advantage of being able to pulverize dirt that would otherwise stick to rocks... with large rocks going through and landing in my large dump-trailer, and the soil and smaller rock continuing into my shaker.

Oh, and once the dirt is all cleaned up, I'm gonna need a jaw-crusher to turn all these rocks into 2"-and-down gravel for my driveway... then I'll use same to crush the broken-up concrete of my new shop's current area, and the driveway, and my wife's garage floor, and the basement of the barn... because they're all getting new concrete eventually, and I need the crushings for base.

Yes, there's a fair amount of dirt to process here... 30 good dump truck loads...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 7:25am
I bought an old York rake,removed every other tooth does a pretty good job of dragging the rocks up without too much dirt.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 8:16am
Not sure if I would use the subsoiler. Might just bring more rocks to the surface. The potato digger would make quick work of separating the bigger ones. A basket or box mounted on the back to catch them. Or let them drop on the ground and pick them up with a fork or a square shovel with the center cut out and 1/8" rods welded in to act as a screen. 2 or 3 passes with the potato digger setting it a little deeper with each pass will be just like running a tiller through it.
Getting the little rocks out will require a lot more complex procedure.
Maybe consider a shaker style potato digger, but instead of rods use screen. Would be a simpler machine to build.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 8:29am
Take a potato digger chain and weld in an extra bar between each bar.you'll have to change the size of the rod to get the space correct build a box on the back to catch the stones. Now dump them in the driveway first rain you'll have a nice clean Stone driveway and a clean garden

Edited by bradley6874 - 13 Nov 2018 at 8:30am
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic