This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Have You Ever Noticed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have You Ever Noticed
    Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 8:02pm
How many restored tractors there are for sale with a battery box missing top and side or no box at all. Now just what kind of a restoration job could it be if they wouldn't spring for 40-50.00 dollar box?
Sponsored Links

Osage_Orange View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Osage_Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 10:55pm
Amen!  I thought/think the same thing. 

Edited by Osage_Orange - 29 Aug 2010 at 7:29pm
Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but always time to go back and fix it?
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 11:27pm
That's why I don't restore them. Field ready with open air batter box.
One less thing to take apart when it needs a jump start.
And when my tractors are dirty I don't have to spend all day cleaning them.

Edited by Jeff Z. NY - 27 Aug 2010 at 11:29pm
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 5:37am
Just a note Jeff. I almost never jump start to the battery. I jump start directly to the starter. 

j.w.freck View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.w.freck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 10:26pm
where are you getting battery boxes for $50 ???
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 10:42pm
Here Here...I need one of those $50 battery boxes for my WD45 too!  Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 10:47pm
heck, at $50, I might take a few.  Beats my wholesale price!
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
Dennis IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 10:54pm
I'm starting to feel a little better as I read the replies. I was thinking I got ripped off forsure!

Edited by Dennis IL - 28 Aug 2010 at 10:55pm
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 1:27am
So fess up. Where may one purchase the battery box for $50?
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 1:36am
My tractor don't even have a battery box but at that price give me a couple. LOL
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 7:52am
I haven't found a battery that will hold up to winter that will fit in the battery box . So my lids and sides are some where in the barn as Allis intended when they were made. I haven't seen but a couple on working farms with them installed that includes when the tractors were new.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 29 Aug 2010 at 7:55am
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 9:17am
That's one thing I hate on the 45 diesel battery box is the ampmeter and switch for the air heater are mounted on the top so I can't take the side and top off and leave them on the shelf.   It ends up hanging off the side of the tractor by the wiring harness!!!  LOL

I know what you mean about a tractor being restored and then nothing was done but a half butt paint job covering up grease and oil leaks.   That's why none of my tractors are restored either.   I keep fixing all the odds and ends and never have gotten one of them to the point where it's ready for paint.  My 45 diesel is probably the closest but if I ever restore it, I am going to tear through the whole tranny/rear end and check bearings/seals etc as that hasn't been done yet and I want it to be 100% when its' done.  Maybe in another 10-15 years.
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 10:20am
Originally posted by j.w.freck j.w.freck wrote:

where are you getting battery boxes for $50 ???

Well even if I'm off on the price what does it matter 60-75 or even 100.00.
I've went to look at tractors before that claimed to have rebuilt engines but the engine and chassis exterior are covered in 50yr old grease. Granted maybe they did an in chassis OVHL but I doubt it since the oil pan looked undisturbed. What they did was replace the plug wires and called it an OVHL. I perfectly unstand if you restore one correctly you'll have 2 or 3xs in it what you can sell it for but lack of good bat box is usually a dead giveaway for "detail for retail".
Now me on the other and, I'm the one with a totally unrestored tractor that has a new battery box or very good used one on it. I'm so anal I had my neighbor machinist make me special bolts with 3-4thousandths oversized grips for the CA seat hinge point to take all the play out.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 10:22am
If you guys want to provide the steel I think I could make the box for $50.

I have some coragated plastic. I like to make the box big enough so I can put the coragated plastic between the box walls, bottom, and top and the battery.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic