This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snap-coupler obsession

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snap-coupler obsession
    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 12:21pm
As I alluded to in the hand-clutch thread, I grew up on the fender of a WD. I remember as a little guy looking at the lift arms on it and wondering what they were for. Grandad didn't have anything that attached to the pin hitch, (not entirely true, there was a 2 bottom plow that was never used). I knew they were for something but didn't know what.

Fast forward a while and I go through the plant closing at Maytag, move to Detroit Lakes Mn. for a job that lasts 8 months and find myself back in Iowa jobless. I get the idea I need to get the WD running that has been sitting in the shed for about 20 years. Got that done and about that time I found this site. For whatever reason I thought I needed a WD45. Found one on CL not to far away. Power steering, strong engine, brought it home. Now I'm up to 5 WDs and 45s. Also the CA I recently brought home is snap-coupler as well as is the D-17.

This is where the obsession comes in. I like the way the implements attach and have acquired a pretty good list of the available ones;

Several plows
No. 4 sub-soiler
2 discs
1 Oxnard blade (and 2 for 3-point)
2 row planter
All-Crop drill
Dirt scoop
5' woods mower
Home made carry-all
Also have a No. 200 pull type disc and 82t mower.
Sure I will acquire more in the future as they come along.

I like to keep them working and earning their keep, really enjoy running one of these girls.

Edited by IBWD MIke - 11 Jun 2018 at 7:17pm
Sponsored Links

FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 2:09pm
so ... how many acres do you have to "play" with your toys...
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 5:02pm
I’m the exact opposite I have a D17 that’s a family heirloom the odd hitch on it makes it earning its keep that much more of an obstacle. Don’t get me wrong I’m not getting rid of it but 3pt might open more doors for it.   Only thing snap coupler grandpa had was the plow.   Nor am I going to put a 3 pt kit on it when I have 3 6080’s a 160 and for the time being a 175. I can easily see why snap coupler didn’t win out as the standard.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by FloydKS FloydKS wrote:

so ... how many acres do you have to "play" with your toys...
Just 160, which is enough to keep the 45's busy. I have bigger stuff too but there is something special about these things, nostalgia maybe.
REEDE View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REEDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 8:24pm
You may make some people jealous . 
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 8:54pm
Do you need a 4 row snap coupler cultivator. I am west of Winterset and could load it on your 16' trailer. Cheap!!! This is an older 1 that would go with your 45's. Must be 1957-1961 vintage. I used it 2 years ago to cultivate sweet corn. I no longer have a snap coupler tractor. Pm me. I am retired and home a lot.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 4:18am
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

I can easily see why snap coupler didn’t win out as the standard.
I'm just the opposite, I don't understand why they DIDN'T.  It is easier to attach any implement than a 3-point, most you don't even have to get off the seat to attach.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

I can easily see why snap coupler didn’t win out as the standard.
I'm just the opposite, I don't understand why they DIDN'T.  It is easier to attach any implement than a 3-point, most you don't even have to get off the seat to attach.

For this size I like the snap coupler, but imagine dropping the drawbar off a 300HP 4wd and hooking up a 16 row toolbar. LOL

Edited by Allis dave - 12 Jun 2018 at 6:49am
SteveMaskey(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 7:40am
I have to agree with Allis Dave, I like the snap coupler system but they should have offered both and made 3pt standard after D17
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 7:43am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

As I alluded to in the hand-clutch thread, I grew up on the fender of a WD. I remember as a little guy looking at the lift arms on it and wondering what they were for. Grandad didn't have anything that attached to the pin hitch, (not entirely true, there was a 2 bottom plow that was never used). I knew they were for something but didn't know what.

Fast forward a while and I go through the plant closing at Maytag, move to Detroit Lakes Mn. for a job that lasts 8 months and find myself back in Iowa jobless. I get the idea I need to get the WD running that has been sitting in the shed for about 20 years. Got that done and about that time I found this site. For whatever reason I thought I needed a WD45. Found one on CL not to far away. Power steering, strong engine, brought it home. Now I'm up to 5 WDs and 45s. Also the CA I recently brought home is snap-coupler as well as is the D-17.

This is where the obsession comes in. I like the way the implements attach and have acquired a pretty good list of the available ones;

Several plows
No. 4 sub-soiler
2 discs
1 Oxnard blade (and 2 for 3-point)
2 row planter
All-Crop drill
Dirt scoop
5' woods mower
Home made carry-all
Also have a No. 200 pull type disc and 82t mower.
Sure I will acquire more in the future as they come along.

I like to keep them working and earning their keep, really enjoy running one of these girls.

Snap coupler implements & tractors require obsession if you choose to farm with them. Nothing wrong with that though. Hats off to you for keeping them original & farming with them. Very cool!
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 8:06am
Not sure how snap coupler is easier. I guess you have to be a purest. I would love to see these guys wrestle the drawbar on a big old Steiger. Two guys have their hands full picked up just the end of it. Just the added slop from a well worn out SC is enough to deter me.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 9:03am
I understand the arguments for and against the system. I just like it! Just seems simpler and works well. On high HP tractors it would have been a pain.

Tom, one piece of equipment I don't need is a row-crop cultivator. My sometimes questionable driving skills would probably do more harm than good! Also have a three point, (not sure what model) cultivator I could use on the 185 if I ever got really mad at the corn.
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 1:29pm
I’m in the same boat. Family has had a ton of Allis tractors and the only thing ever in the snap coupler was the drawbar
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 3:20pm
Im the oppisite. I convert 3pt.implements over to snap coupler. A finish mower,a box scraper and a shop built dirt/driveway leveler.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by JayIN JayIN wrote:

Im the oppisite. I convert 3pt.implements over to snap coupler. A finish mower,a box scraper and a shop built dirt/driveway leveler.

I haven't done this yet but do have a couple of the AC snap-couple to three point adapters. I wouldn't bat an eye to put one on the right implement if I find one. One actually was on an Oxnard 3 point blade I bought at auction. Took it off so I can use the blade on the 185.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic