This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mowers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian S(NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mowers
    Posted: 19 May 2018 at 8:36pm
blew a belt on ol faithfull... my cub cadet 2186... replac ed the belt and then one of the blades and assembly went right through the deck. sick of working with junk. watcha all use for mowers...yes I have a collection acs but am lookingfor somthing newer looking at simplicity... they seem to be rugged....cub cadets seem to be junk now.... watcha all think?

Edited by Brian S(NY) - 19 May 2018 at 8:40pm
God made man.Sam colt made man equal.
Sponsored Links

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 8:50pm
Brian, honestly you will be better off fixing up an older unit. None of the newer ones will last. JMHO, Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 9:05pm
X2. Got a JD LX178 that I bought used, used it for several years, gave it to my daughter and she used it for 4 years and then I put it at the farm, still going strong with no major problems, has the Kawasaki engine. The plastic hood has broken to pieces and I am not paying $400 for a new one. Bought a Toro z-turn for the house 5 years ago and it has done fine, just wish I had bought a larger model.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 9:16pm
Mine is an LT190 Deere. I bought it used. Deere dealer was 2 blocks from my office. Good mower, except the main drive belt. It took me 6 hours to change it last summer, but that is the first time in the 7 years I owned it. Battery in it was 9 years old when I had to replace it this spring. If I was going to look at a new tractor type mower I would look at Huskvarnia. I don't think that is spelled right. Positive tract differential on the one I would buy, and 48" deck. Good luck with your decision.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 9:24pm
We use a Kubota bx2360. Good mower but they're proud of them
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 9:37pm
Agco allis 2025. Have 4 between my dad, uncle, and I. Would not trade them.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 10:45pm
Have a 05 Simplicty 61in zero turn.Bought cheap with bad engine.Put new engine on and running good for last 7 years. Deck is fabricated 1/8in. Gets about 80hrs a year. Well built and solid machine.
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 6:40am
If you can stomach the cost, do with one of the big zero turn commercial mowers, assuming you have the yard size to justify one.  We have about four acres or mowable area around the farm house, about threeish is lawn the rest is bumpy weed area out around equipment, and buildings, and we run a Husvarna unit, and Zeter, and they get run hard, not beat up, just pushed hard, and except for the occasional tune up, and one had a new spindle last year the only maintenance is keeping the blades sharp.  Now I realize the two I mentioned are NOT true commercial mowers, but they do work.  I have run some Exmark and Wright equipment in my day, and if I were ever to buy a ZTR, it would be one of the latter. 
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 6:44am
My neighbor bought a new cub cadet maybe 3 years ago.  He traded it for a Kobuta Z this spring claiming the Cub was a POS.

My El Toro Z will not be a teen ager any more next year.  1400 hours and still does its job.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:52am
going on 5 years now with my SWISHER ZT 60 , have had to replace spindle bearings - but lasttime I ordered bearings got sealed and shielded bearings and they seem to be holding up . Wish they would have used a greasable bearing hub - but now have it down to a easy job of replacing . 
 27 HP Briggs engine on it / for the price it's well built 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:53am
Our first zero turn mower was in 1994.  It was a Dixon.  My nephew is still mowing with our old Dixon.  Not bad for a cone drive mower.
We have a Dixie Chopper and it is fantastic.

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:18am
I use my Allis CA with a 6' deck.  NO problems and it's FUN!  Can't stand a lawn tractor anymore...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 1:12pm
I use my CA with woods L306 for the majority of the yard. And have a JD 216 with48" deckmy daughter mows the small areas with. I do my ditches with a Keys Eaglestar commercial walking mowers. My ditches are to steep for my to feel comfortable so the walking mower is great. If I were to buy a new one I've mowed my niebors with his Bad Boy Daddy Cat. It's a great mower 40 hp catapiller diesel zero turn with air ride. But it's about $10,000 more than my CA with Woods deck
*DougW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *DougW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 8:08pm
Exmark. Best bagger on the market. Goes 10 mph. Had a grasshopper, was ok but not on side of hills. Bagger was fair, I liked the dump feature. Previously had a Cub cadet. Built too light for farmstead mowing
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:31pm
We've had a Deere X595 with 62" deck since 2005. I'd never trade it for anything. The whole thing is incredibly overbuilt...it's like a tank. 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel can't be stopped, and is incredibly fuel efficient. I've mowed a lot of tall/thick/wooley stuff, and some thick brush about knee high or better (gotta go a little slower for that, but not much...still at half throttle, though.) The only time I ever mow past half throttle is when I want to gain more speed, as it has ample power and torque at half throttle or below. Other than oil changes and other scheduled maintenance, it's had zero work done to it. We've changed the Deere Strong Box battery 1 time over the years. We park it for the winter, and it always starts right up in the spring. I've never seen another mower start so easily, especially after sitting several months. It's 4x4 with differential lock, and a host of other features. A fantastic mower. Changing/sharpening the blades is easy...pull 3 spring loaded J-pins, unhook the PTO shaft, rotate the caster wheels 90 degrees, and it slides right out. 
If I could change anything about it, I'd make the hood, fenders, etc. out of steel, but other than that, I love it! 
I think a lot of folks will agree the smaller Deere's are junk (big box store tractors)...I would never want anything smaller than a X5 series, especially the "GT" or "LA" series.
I hear the new X7 series is pretty good, but I've never been around one. In my opinion, all the new small mowers are junk, but invest in a quality garden tractor and you will be miles ahead in the long run. 

Edited by CrestonM - 20 May 2018 at 9:42pm
copyrite1972 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copyrite1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:44pm
I have a 8yr old troybilt horse, think it has a 42" deck. The blade drive has always been a PITA! It's never flat, and the belt keeps coming off! But it always starts, and cuts no matter how bad I beat it up! 
D15 Series II
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 10:44pm
Yea I think lawn mowers are like everything these days if your not turning them every five years for new your better off staying older. Something with grease fittings and real bearings. Seems the newer you buy the least it will last
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 5:56am
Cub Cadets have been made by MTD for years now. I just got rid of a Cub that had <80 hrs on it and had a 'timed' deck. Blades are 90* from each other using a special $140 timing belt ! Suppose to give a better cut BUT a LOT of $$$ special parts to make it work. THAT's why I sold it, regular 42" works just fine for me. Cubs usually come with cast iron front axles and greasable spindles,nice but from 30yrs of fixing them, nobody services them...
As for decks, the main problem is 'operator error'. I've seen 4 year old decks rotted out with 50# of wet grass on them, yet my entry level 20 yr old MTD is great. Grass cutting is a late afternoon chore. ONLY cut grass when it's dry AND clean it off (top AND bottom) after every use. Sharpen blades 2-3 times per season. I use the chain falls in the garage to lift up the front end of the rider to gain EASY access to the deck,zip,zip blades come off, sharpen,clean btm of deck,put blades back on....1/2 hr max..time well spent.
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:04am
I think it is each to his own Creston.  I have a 1026r compact utility JD with the drive over deck.  I found one to buy with the deck because i think it will add to resale when I go to the big lawn in the sky.  I have been mowing grass for 15 years with the Z turn Toro.  It is a commercial low CG model and will run circles around a tractor - if you are mowing lawns that is.

Just my tow centavos.

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:43am
Neighbor has a box store Deere and for as much as she uses it and abuses it, it has held up well.  I have a GT225 or is it a GT235.  Dang it I'll have to look tonight.  Anyway mine has been rock solid for last 17 years.  It has the B&S 18HP twin in it, 48" deck.  I did finally wear out/rust out the deck a couple of years back and replaced the deck.  A little pricey but it came with all new parts including the blades and belts.  An hour later it was cutting again.  I have had several mowers from Murray, Sears, Husqvarna and two Deere's.
Deere would be my pick.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 3:22pm
I wouldn't trade my Hustler 60" Super Z rear discharge or anything .

CaseyCreek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseyCreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 4:20pm

Sounds like you guys sure have nice riding mowers.  I use a push mower because I find mowing kind of relaxing and because I kept my yard small by design.  I use a bush hog for the larger areas.  I must look pretty bad out there because one of my friends gave me a Snapper 28" mower if I would come by and pick it up. 

I fixed the Snapper up because I like seeing things work the way they are supposed to, but I still use the push mower.  I do have family that really likes to use the Snapper, though.  They are very rebuildable and there are lots of them on Craigslist for very little money.  I just checked and there is one for sale about five minutes from me in running condition for $100.  A nice one in excellent condition is about $500.
D17 Series III,D17 Series IV, 185
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 4:42pm
I have a 2006 grasshopper that is a great machine. It has grease zerks on the spindles and other places for simple maintenance. I only wish it was a diesel and had a bigger deck.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

Our first zero turn mower was in 1994.  It was a Dixon.  My nephew is still mowing with our old Dixon.  Not bad for a cone drive mower.
We have a Dixie Chopper and it is fantastic.

X2 on the Dixie Chopper.  I've had mine fer 12 years, its a 60" with Kohler 28 EFI motor. Simple is the word, think I have only put 1 fuel pump on, several fuel filters, and lotsa deck belts!  Better the deck belt goes, than anything else, that belt costs about $10, from surplus center...Thumbs Up
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 6:52pm
II picked up a simplicity z turn.  them and ferris are the only companies that have suspension.  your back will love you.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:37pm
2 ways to accomplish suspension (other than seat!) springs, or big soft rear tires. The DC uses big tires, simple...Wink
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Have a 05 Simplicty 61in zero turn.Bought cheap with bad engine.Put new engine on and running good for last 7 years. Deck is fabricated 1/8in. Gets about 80hrs a year. Well built and solid machine.
I think we have a matched pair. Simplicity Cobalt 61" with springs on all four corners. 
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 6:15am
I use a JD X724   (all wheel steer)    62 inch deck, its the best mower I've ever owned.  It is 6 years old now I think.   I had a Dixie Chopper before and they are well built but don't do well on hillsides.   If you only mow flat ground and smooth ground they are ok. On the negative side with a JD machine any parts you need like blades etc you have to pay the green tax.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 6:22am
After re-reading this thread..I wonder WHY you guys are cutting so much grass ? I plowed up the 1/2acre lot turned it into wife's veggie gardens. Now I don't waste time cutting a LOT of grass, I get to enjoy 'seat time'..plowing ,rototilling, moving ponypoop !
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Brian S(NY) Brian S(NY) wrote:

blew a belt on ol faithfull... my cub cadet 2186... replac ed the belt and then one of the blades and assembly went right through the deck. sick of working with junk. watcha all use for mowers...yes I have a collection acs but am lookingfor somthing newer looking at simplicity... they seem to be rugged....cub cadets seem to be junk now.... watcha all think?

I have two, a Ferris and a Country Clipper. They're both made of heavy steel. The only plastic is the fuel tanks and engine cover on the CC. Zero Turn is the way to go if you'd rather be doing something else than running a lawnmower. If it takes an hour on a tractor style mower, you'll knock it down to 15 mins easy with a ZTR. It took me 4 hours on my old Case 446 to mow my place, the CC got it down to 1.5 hrs. When I upgraded to the Ferris it takes an hour now, mostly because the Ferris will travel faster and get rid of the clippings faster without clumping. I'm on a couple small engine pages and it seems the Kohler Courage is not one of their better engines although I've never had any trouble with the one on the CC. The Ferris has the Vanguard 810 and is smoother than the Kohler on the CC. The best way I can describe it is it's like the difference between a 4 cyl Japanese bike and a Harley.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic