This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wooden busings for cultipacker?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wooden busings for cultipacker?
    Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 8:11pm
I just purchased a cultipacker and as with most older stuff the busings are shot. Is there any place to get replacement wooden busings  or is there an alternative to the original busings?  I only plan to use this once in awhile but I would like to replace the worn busings. I cannot find any name or serial number on the unit. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Mike
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Sponsored Links

mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 8:15pm

Sorry I meant bushings. Never could spell to good.

Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 9:33pm
Actually you are talking about the wooden axle bearings. I think.
I replaced a pair a long time ago. I had to make them. I made  some oak blocks about the right size out of some scrap oak pallet skids and center bored them for a good fit on the axle. I soaked them in oil and they have held up well for a long long time.  This packer gets used once a year to roll in a broadcast rye grain and turnip mix for a winter cover crop in my garden spot. The Grazing turnips "Barkant" make good eating turnip greens. Sometimes I mix in a little Dwarf Esex Rape seed. It is great for greens too. 
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 9:39pm
I bet it looks like mine. It came to Texas with my uncle 42 years ago from Illinois. It don't have a name tag either.
Walt(E-IA) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walt(E-IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 9:52pm
I had one that a friend who had a machine shop replaced the wooden axle bearings with brass ones. Probably over kill for what little I use it, but he did it didn't cost me much.
JohnThomas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnThomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 6:16am

Why not look up a Wood Turner in your area? Easy to make out of hard maple on wood lathe.
Life is short...Make haste to be kind
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:36am
It's my understanding that hard maple makes the best bearings.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 11:10am
Hard maple, hickory, and to some extent oak makes decent bearings. Lignum Vitae makes great bearings but is very expensive. Wood bearings benefit by being dried in a 180 degree oven until they tinkle, and are then submerged in oil which they will absorb in quantity. I've also used parafin wax as the lubricant with a long life.

The lack of bearings didn't seem to bother my use of that cultipacker, I just dragged it behind the drill and it did its thing without grumbling. I don't know who made it.

A woodworker with a lathe would be the most expedient way to get the bearings.

Gerald J.
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 12:05pm
I am thinking it could be a Western Land Roller brand. When I worked at a parts counter years ago, we ordered them from the same place we got Bearcat grinder parts. There may be nothing left of those suppliers now, and I am far removed from the parts business now. Maybe you can glean some ideas from my memories? Might still be some parts there at D&K implement in Pomeroy, IA-it was Garber-Birkey when I worked there.
looks like the same phone number 712-468-2217
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 12:36pm
Gerald has it down, hedge(osage orange) and black locust work better than most anything except lignum vitae.  If you use oak, only use white oak, not red oak.  Some take a propane torch and burn the journals lightly before using swearing that it makes them last longer?  I haven't had any problems with my bearings without doing it on my horse drawn disc or cultipacker. 

Balsters has wood bearings, out of scotch grove IA.

Phone number is 319-465-4141 or 3838.  Be patient with him and try to find some numbers off of the castings or some where to help him identify it.  or even better take measurements. 

My understanding that some of the early hydro electric plants vertical shaft generators sit on lignum vitae bearings and some have never been replaced.  Pretty good bearing to last for 80+ years.

michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 1:36pm
ihave maybe half a dozen on hand provided they are the same for an ac rotary hoe ..

pm me if interested
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 1:44pm
I went into an IH dealership parts area and they had a box of wood bearings setting at the end of one of the shelf rows. The old IH disks used wood bearings. I remember as a kid watching my grand father change them one spring. If you kept them greased they would run many miles before needing changed.  His got greased every morning and at noon when it was being used. If he went out after chores it was greased again.

mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 3:34pm
Thanks to everyone for the help. I found an Amish parts farm and they had a box full of all sizes. Was able to find some that will work. Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic