This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diesel F150s are out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diesel F150s are out
    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 12:05pm
I know Shameless will want to get down to the dealer and snatch one up!

Ford F-150 Diesel Pickup Truck

Ford’s diesel-powered F-150 pickup is here, or soon will be as production ramps up this spring, and it’s remarkable for its smoothness and quietness.

April 27, 2018
Ford diesel-powered F-150 pickup is here

Ford’s diesel-powered F-150 pickup is here, or soon will be as production ramps up this spring, and it’s remarkable for its smoothness and quietness. Perhaps a little surprisingly, the builder expects only about 5 percent of buyers to choose the 3-liter V-6 diesel over several gasoline engines, but because the F-150 is America’s biggest selling motor vehicle of any type–896,764 last year–5 percent will still be a high-volume proposition.

Buyers will find highway fuel economy of 30 miles per gallon, along with 22 mpg city and 25 mpg combined, according to the EPA rating disseminated by Ford. With a light foot, highway economy could be a bit higher, representatives told truck writers who drove various iterations of the 2018 F-150 on suburban streets and mountain roads northwest of Denver earlier this week. Although called a Power Stroke, that name and the material used in casting the block–compacted graphite iron–are the only commonality with the larger 6.7-liter V-8 diesel offered in SuperDuty pickups.

Ford 250-hp V-6 Power Stroke diesel is entirely smokeless and odorless.“It has its own architecture,” spokesman Mike Levine explained. It’s a truck version of a diesel used in Range Rovers in Europe, and is a Ford design built in a Ford plant in the United Kingdom. It comes in only one rating, with 250 horsepower and 440 lb-ft. of torque, which proved more than adequate in drives of empty and loaded trucks at high altitudes in rainy, snowy and foggy weather.

The standard transmission is a new SelectShift 10-speed automatic, replacing 6-speed gearboxes previously used. In the test runs, multiple ratios allowed the diesel to work in its most efficient speed, which when cruising was between 1,400 and 1,600 RPM, near its torque peak of 1,700, no matter the road speed. When pressed for more go-power, revs rose to 2,500 and 3,000, but with neither commotion nor smoke, either seen or smelt. Federal regulations demand such behavior, yet it’s still impressive.

Above: Beneath the shrouding, piping and wiring is the new 3-liter, 250-horsepower, 440-lb.-ft. V-6 Power Stroke diesel. It was smooth and quiet, and entirely smokeless and odorless.

The Power Stroke V-6 will be available in all F-150 trim levels except the top-of-the-line Limited, Levine said.  The upcharge will be a modest $4,000 over a 3.5-liter EcoBoost gasoline engine, compared to about $9,000 for the 6.7 Power Stroke in a SuperDuty pickup. SuperDuties no longer have a unique, larger cab, instead sharing the F-150’s aluminum structure.

A diesel makes the most sense for people “who run fully loaded all the time, like landscapers, or someone who just wants a diesel,” he said. “And it will be an alternative for those who buy an F-250 just to get a diesel.” With its 1-ton payload and a tow rating of 11,000 pounds, an F-150 diesel will be nearly as capable.

A line of new pickups awaited the troupe of reporters outside our hotel, and the first one I grabbed was an XL SuperCab, loaded with a hefty stack of 2x4 boards said to weigh about 1,000 pounds, or half its listed payload capacity. The load made for a steady ride and the powertrain propelled us well. Designers didn’t skimp on sound-suppression, so the engine could be heard only faintly and there was little wind noise on a breezy day. While standing next to the truck as its engine idled, it would not be clear to a casual listener that it was a diesel.

The XL is Ford’s basic work-truck model, and is the one fleet buyers usually choose. It comes with a “rubber floor” (actually a vinyl material), monotone grey plastic on the dashboard and door panels, and cloth-covered seats that proved very supportive and comfortable.

“This is good enough for me,” I thought, until I got in a King Ranch version, which had sumptuous leather seat covers with a western flair, along with bright-metal trim that nicely contrasted with the expanses of plastic. This truck also had a large infotainment screen that, among things, included an accurate navigation system. Levine rode along on the 45-mile loop with this truck and pointed out that among other electronic features was an adaptive cruise control that shadowed traffic ahead, accelerating and slowing as needed, and it included automatic braking that could bring the truck to a complete stop.  I tried it and it worked.

My third trip was in an F-150 with slightly fancier Platinum trim, hitched to a heavy boat trailer that gave the diesel a slight workout and upset the truck’s ride. The trailer’s tongue had a crack-the-whip effect on the rear end; this caused bouncing that made its way into the cab and seats, resulting in moderate but annoying back slap.  If I towed a lot, I’d make pulling my trailer part of a test drive because an F-250 might be a better choice after all. But for most hauling and cruising chores, the new F-150 diesel is a smooth and capable machine that Ford fans will love, whether they buy one or not.

recent articles on Pickup Trucks, Classes 1 - 3, up to 14,000 GVW

More like this

< ="comments collapsible collapsed collapse-processed">Show JUMP TO COMMENTS

Evaluations

Steep angles, soft underfoot conditions, wet material, large bucket, heavy coupler, long stick—factors that could diminish performance, but the Volvo EC220E showed balance and power.
Veteran operators, Local 649’s Terry Slater and Jeff Braun, push the...
SuperDuty pickups went with aluminum bodies from the F-150 series for the 2017 model year and have been well received by customers
Lightweight materials, more diesels for the half-ton segment...
Tool carrier-type telehandlers, such as this JCB 512, can handle buckets and other attachments to increase job site versatility.
A positive market for telehandlers sees OEMs add compact machines,...

FEATURED VIDEO

< id="1_5_api" -account="745467978001" -p="HyXKjVoM" -="default" --id="5727225054001" ="vjs-tech" ="-1" poster="https://f1.media.brightcove.com/8/745467978001/745467978001_5727236197001_5727225054001-vs.jpg?pubId=745467978001&Id=5727225054001" controls="">
Case-521G-Field-Test
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Sponsored Links

Dmpaul89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmpaul89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 12:56pm
I wonder if its a typo but they say its $4000 up from a 3.5 ecoboost which is also what $3500? So that would mean $7500 for the diesel option.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 1:17pm
Well after seeing the krappy fuel mileage of the Dodge 3L eco-diesel I'll wait until my brother gets the Ford to testdrive. Should be interesting. BTW, so far $8900 to fix the SSON's pu that got 'contaminated fuel' in it. Gonna love to see the real bill for that.

re:
With a light foot, highway economy could be a bit higher

hahaha... try that pulling a 7000# load...tain't NO WAY you'll get 20+ MPG. I'm better closer to 20, maybe with 500# load, no passenger, 1/4tank of fuel too !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 9:48pm
To say that the 3.0 diesel was designed in a 'Ford' factory in the UK is a bit of a stretch. Ford owned Rover when that engine was designed. Was it really designed by Ford? It has so much in common with LR that it's really hard to say what's Ford...
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 12:07am
the eco diesel is for economy, not a work truck for towing big loads! i'm sure they are pretty gutless for that. and with ferd thing of dropping all their car manufacturing to dwell on truck and suv's, i'm sure they'll have all kinds of different variations of trucks and motors. this one sounds a lot like the eco diesel, and what ever GM are putting in their Colorado pickups.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 6:36am
well.. gas is $5.40 USD / USG here today... diesel  $5.00 USD/ USG . makse it real hard to understand WHY I'd go diesel as $7000 less for gas, would buy a LOT of gas amd NOT have stinky carpet in the truck, forever....

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 11:53am
Jay, it's the opposite here, gas is $2.50 and diesel $2.72.  Would take even longer to pay for the engine.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 9:54pm
I don't care for the cost.......... but 250 HP and 440 ft pounds of torque is impressive for a 1/2 ton truck. .......... no load of 30 MPG will attract some people also.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
everett048 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everett048 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 2:10am
In the U K the range rover is running a 4.4 tdv8 diesel 313bhp around 650nm of torque (500ftlbs) with a twin turbo setup,
1 works all the time and the 2nd comes in at 2500 rpm (google ford lion engine.)
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 6:02pm
I guise I got my new F150 a month to soon. LOL I am happy with the 3.5 L ecoboost Towed my parents 29' trailer to TN for the GOTO 420 mountain miles one way. It was nice to go from 0 to 60 uphill on the I81 ramps before the merge. PLENTY of power and torque. But its rated 120 HP more then the diesel about the same torque.   
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:05pm
John....i'll bet that ferd will require that DEF fluid! the Dodges eco diesel don't require it!
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:09pm
I saw a piece on-line that the company that makes the instrument cluster for F150's burnt-down so may be a waiting line to get one ordered and delivered!!
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 8:35am
Ford stopped all F150 production. They have about 75 days before they run out of trucks. Need to get the instrument plant running to restart production. It was the sole supplier for the ford truck lines. I wonder if they'll restart any of the car lines they shutdown?
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

John....i'll bet that ferd will require that DEF fluid! the Dodges eco diesel don't require it!

My Son-in-Law's 2014 dodge eco-diesel's Fiat engine requires DEF.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 10:33pm
the one I looked at don't, no container for it anywhere and the dealer said it didn't require the DEF.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:16am
no DEF ?? test by driving it ! If(when) it gets low or runs out of DEF it'll NOT let you start the engine until DEF can is refilled and reheated up to temp.
ALL firetrucks around here have DEF 'computer' removed or bypassed. They found out the hard way the PAIN  'lo DEF' is !

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:55am
I find it hard to justify a Diesel when the fuel cost is in line with Prem. Grade gas.
I love my Ram 2500 CTD but a modern Big Gas engine might be better.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic