This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the fields are green!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the fields are green!
    Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:32pm
man the volunteer soybeans are really growing out in our fields!
Sponsored Links

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 1:19am
How can you be surprised, it was harvested with a green seeder, wasn't it?

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 3:40am
yep...and the old lady....oooops....I mean the loving wife and me went back behind in the fields this last winter, there was no pretty on the ground, but scanning the fields, looked like they needed a haircut. whole stems of beans standing all across the fields! sooooooo.....I made a foot square frame, took it out and tossed it in several places of the fields. then counted the beans inside it. took the formula from the university web site to figger out the loss. averaged a little over 11 bu per acre. one field being 56 acres, and elevator prices right now is $9.63/bu. that just about chaps my.....
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 6:26am
11 bu per acre is crazy!  I'd be sick too.......A big enough idiot careless operator can overcome any combine!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 9:00am
No combine is better than the operator...
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 9:24am
People worry about what it costs to operate a combine,,,fuel, labor, etc.

11x9.63= $105.93

Can the green machines be adjusted?

This wouldn't work for me!

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 9:31am
Of course they can!  I have a green combine, albeit an old one, and while I'm far from perfect at it, if I could salvage 11 bushels per acre that I was routinely leaving behind, I'd be setting regional production records!  My ground ain't that good.....Wink

Edited by Tbone95 - 03 May 2018 at 9:33am
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 1:50pm
I play darts in a church league and I was coming up to bat the big mouth green operator on the other tram mouthed off about my combining with a Gleaner combine.  I just looked at him and said I noticed my field was not as green as his was after combining and threw a home run and he has not made a comment about my combine in 4 years.  Every year they have the nicest green fields of corn and beans after they are done combining.  They combine with 3 STS (straight through seeders) every fall. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 7:03pm
I used to have 2 different green combines, before I went with Gleaners. and I never had that kinda loss either. I did notice that the newer the green ones got that I rented, the worse the crop saving became. the worst was a 6620 that I rented one fall, I adjusted it, the dealer sent out several employees to adjust it, all of us failed. the dealer was nice enough (hard to believe) to take that one away and bring me another 6620 to use...it wasn't any better. prolly reason they were traded in? the Gleaners were just like a dream come true, very little loss, very clean samples, and easy to adjust/work on.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 7:19pm
Then you went and bought a Binder!  Get the rope!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 12:49am
with the fall of any Gleaner sales places anywhere with in 150 miles of me one way, then the fall of close jd dealer that was close, it left only 2 IH dealers in my area. both the green combines I first had turned black in color, I then went with Gleaner, and was pleasantly surprised at the superior craftsmanship and reliability of those machines! and no matter what brand, they do break down and at harvest time, times is very important to beat bad weather. I helped a neighbor finish his harvest one year running his machine while he hauled as I was done and bad weather was coming in fast. he had an IH rotary combine and we went all that day and we went all that night and was able to get it all done and in the bins. I was impressed with a rotary combine after that. when my last Gleaner was just about all wore out, I noticed a really nice looking IH on a dealers lot, and inquired, I really knew nothing about them and the dealer brought it into the heated shop so they could show me about that combine and how it works. then he showed me an invoice that the previous owner had just paid for work and replacement of parts on that combine. the price was basically what the invoice was, and that was a pretty cheap combine, plus the dealer put a one time full harvest warranty on it. I was then jumping from a gasser to a diesel, and from 4 row to 6 row and 13 ft to 20 ft for under $3500. I had just put a new engine on my Gleaner, but thought this IH would carry me through the end of my farming days. my Gleaner "G" would handle a bigger head if I could have found a 6-30 CH in any kind of decent shape within 150 miles, looked for years and all I could find were completely wore out or damaged ones. I bought the IH, and then had 2 combines. I used the IH on the next harvest because of the warranty given to me on it. kept the "G" as a back up machine. also had a "K" I could use if needed. (that was the combine I bought for the old lady....oooops...I mean the the loving wife for her birthday one year) and she learned to run it and loved it! the "G" developed problems and I sure was glad I had that IH to fall back on. I never had one ounce of trouble of any kind with the IH for 3 harvests. thru the years changing sizes of heads and then a blown motor on the IH just before harvest was done forced me to try to find another one, and did, and kept the first one for parts machine. then I got lazy and kep one with a bean head on it and found another on big iron to puts a CH on. LOL yeah...I been thru lots of combines thru my years, but they were always someone else's before finding a new home here. I think I have all of about or less than $25,000 invested in all of them since I started farming back in 1977 to 2015. I do remember renting an N5 one year to do oats as I didn't have the right sieves for my "G" or "K" to do them. and that machine was by far the best over all of them I've owned or rented thru the years. I wish I could have afforded that one at the time. I would still place it over any of my combines I've owned or ran thru my life!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 7:45am
Little surprised you had that much difficulty with 6620's.  I've always thought I've heard through the grapevine 66 and 7720's were pretty good machines. Personally I've never ran either, but I ain't no expert anyway.  Seems by the "knowledge" I've collected over lots of interaction, is historically if you will Deere combines generally a relatively high horsepower number for the size of the machine, hence you could really push it and over load the cleaning system before you really loaded down the engine.  Possibly something of what you experience, maybe not.  Lots of guys in these parts have tried Gleaners and hated them and went back to Green or Red....Seems to be there is a fit to the way a guy thinks for how he can get a combine to perform.  Then there's just totally blissful color blindness for Red or Green where it doesn't matter what someone else shows them or how ty of a job they're doing, they're the best combine operator driving the best combine in the world in their opinion, and never get out of the cab to see how they are performing.

I bought my combine because A) I could afford it, B) It was close enough I could drive it home with reasonable effort......all other factors were minor in comparison but included a dealer for it nearby.   I then learned how to operate and set it the best I can.  I can find grain on the ground.  Some of it is from the headers, some of it leaks a little here and there, and some of it comes out the back, but overall doesn't amount to a whole lot based on the same type of testing per square foot.  And my sales tickets are relatively clean / low on FM or dockage......
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 12:02pm
every combine needs to be adjusted per crop conditions, sometimes 2 or more times a day. that's a given! you can't just set it one day and expect it to do good the rest of the harvest. I've also had some cutterbar and CH losses too, but not as bad as this is out there! I also noticed they brought us some creaping Charlie weed too! PffffT!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 12:47pm
Yep, you gotta keep watching!Smile
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 12:50pm
Shameless, ye need to force them "stockholders" to go and dig that crap out by hand.... cuzz they caused it to happen by their choices they made.   Wink
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 2:06pm
If you need some more of that Cheeping Charlie I can send you a bunch or you can come pick it up yourself - dang stuff will spread from lawn mower clippings and or any other means of dropping a leaf so it touches the ground !
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 4:34pm
Dale, You know I'm giving you a hard time, dontcha?

What is Creeping Charlie?
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 5:07pm
Creeping charlie is the meanest stinkenist weed you can get in your lawn. It has little blue flowers on it. My handicapped brother had a yard full of it. When he died I took my mower to his place and mowed. I got it in my yard. I'd have been better off to rent a mower. It spreads by the roots and is tough to kill. I finally spray it with field grade roundup and lay some old plywood over it. That was 3 years ago. I just picked up the plywood last week. I hope it is gone.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 04 May 2018 at 5:08pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 12:10am
yeah....what Tom said and worse! the roots can go down 15 ft and you just as well about give up trying to kill it. if we could get something off it for sale, we'd be billionaires! I never had it here on the farm, but it's here now! the big green farmers took on another farm last year, I spose that's where it came from! I always cleaned my combines off if/when I moved to another part of the farm, one part of the farm was lousy with sunflowers and even tho I did about everything that could be done to control them, a few would slip thru, and I wouldn't notice until i hit them. I had them down to just a few a year, but it took about all my years of farming to do it!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 12:11am
John...i'll send you sum dead plants if'n ya want? if you don't want them, you know where you can drop them off at!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 12:28am
I don't know Dale, if it's as bad as described, I don't think I want it at that other place either, it's only about 3 miles away.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 9:17am
yer prolly good friends by now...eh?
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 1:55am
Not really, something about the message you had me spray on his lawn with Roundup...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 3:18am
I wanna see a pic.....as proof!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 3:19am
well I see they came and disked the whole field up to hide all the green today...and prolly to make their no til planter work better? lol
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 9:55am
saw yesterday they had disked the corn fields to, and now you can really see the pathway of growing volunteer corn growing, they'll hafta disk it again before planting that field to soybeans! I should have did the formula test on that field too. prolly would have just made me sicker on how much they left in the field!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 1:36pm
Down here I know there was at least one field of milo not too far from my grandpa that was sown just as you say by the green machines. The guys that farm it admitted the combines were just throwing it out the back, but they acted like there was nothing you could do about it. I tried to talk them into letting me take the L3 over there and do the job right the first time, but it didn't happen.
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 3:17pm
We used to run an all crop 60 and there was no green fields after it had been over a field.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 3:35pm
I remember for years that an owner of a local grain elevator that also farmed kept asking me if I screened my grain before bringing it to town? I told him no, just using the Gleaner. he said he couldn't get his grain that clean (he was all green), and his grain elevator manager piped up and said the owners grain was always dirty. and the local feed mill always paid a premium for clean grain, I sold a lot of mine there too!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 3:39pm
I can attest to the job an All-Crop will do, as can most everybody who has operated one. Last summer a friend and I were combining wheat. As he ran the combine, I went alongside the machine as he was cutting and took about a dozen collections of material off the shoe and straw rack throughout the day. After dialing it in, there was no grain loss at all (except for maybe a small, shrivelled, kernel here and there). I flagged him off the tractor and had him come see, and we were both surprised, as the grain in the bin was also clean, except for some rye that was in the field. 

My late-grandpa used to use his 60 as a seed cleaner after he upgraded to a larger combine. He cut a hole in the top of the separator and augered his grain in to be cleaned before sowing in the fall. 

Also...last year was fun because I got a completely unbiased testimony from a young man running a new Deere combine on a custom crew. He said the cab climate and general operation was nice, but they had to leave their chaffer/sieve open pretty wide and fill the bin with trash in order to have any speed/capacity. He said if they set the shoe to deliver only clean grain, the combines would really spread the seed out the back if they ran the combine to its full capacity. 

Edited by CrestonM - 07 May 2018 at 3:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic