This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Re-Using Piston Rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Re-Using Piston Rings
    Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 7:15am
I am freshening up a cast iron 16HP Briggs engine, and I removed the piston which is stamped .010 over, and have discovered that I can't get .010 piston rings for some reason.  I have not removed the old rings from the piston as of yet.  When I put a standard ring in the cylinder, the end gap is way out of tolerance.  I am wondering if I can reuse the old rings?  I have given the cylinder a quick hone to break the glaze.  Thanks for the input.  Thanks for the space.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 8:25am
Was the head clean inside? Was there good compression? Was it NOT buring oil ?
If , I'd reuse the rings...cause if it ran fine before you tore it apart ,it'll work fine now.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 8:56am
It was a decent running engine a few years ago.  The head did have some carbon on it, and I have cleaned it up.  I am putting this engine in a B110 for some stock tractor pulling  The proper route would be to hog it out to .020 over and put the .020 rings in it that I can get new.
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 8:57am
I forgot to mention that there was a wee bit of side play of the piston in the cylinder, but not much.  I have seen a lot worse!  LOL.
Orange Glow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 1:16pm
http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ttalk&th=858586
I found this on yesterday’s tractor. I don’t know what it takes to get NAPA to order some through Hastings or Perfect Circle, but there was a phone number to Hastings. I would guess you could get by with the old rings, but new ones would be a good improvement.
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 2:41pm
Thanks, Orangeglow!
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 5:47am
Just a thought but why not .020 over and file fit on the rings ?

Edited by ac720nut - 22 Feb 2018 at 5:48am
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 6:59am
ac720nut, I am thinking about trying that.  I have the rings ordered anyways.  Thanks!
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 7:00am

Agree with AC720, file a set of .020 to fit.

Gary
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 7:39am
Dumb question, guys, but I will ask it anyways...lol....Do I just have to file the end gap to the proper tolerance?  Thanks.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 7:52am
Make sure you lube the rings real good, and that's from the guy who believes in dry       ringing an engine. The reason? Because you're going to be putting a lot more pressure on everything. I've done it myself and it worked perfectly. Spin it over with the plugs out for 5-10 seconds, then put them in and start it. Don't rev it up just let it run until you feel the heat build up, kill it and let cool out. If it spins free by hand, next time run it longer and a little harder. Let cool again and you should be good to go. You'll get pride out of making it go.  Let us know.   Leon 
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 7:54am
Thank you very much, Leon.  I appreciate all of the help that you all give.  I will keep you posted!!
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 8:00am
PS. Check your oil for metal specks before running it very hard. No use in loosing what you already have. 
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 8:18am
Good idea, Leon.  It won't be hard to drain it out and check it.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 8:24am
PSS Well for a lot of us we're well past retirement age and most of us are limited on how much we can do and how hard we can work. We may not be real current with our memories but we're  pretty darn good at the old times and we have a lot of experience to pull from. My plan had been to help the widows with children, old folks and the poor to maintain their vehicles free of charge for the labor. Well, I got to help a few but a couple of tick bites put the skids to me close to ten yrs. ago. I can do a little bit and maybe gaining a little, but it's a long haul. I like to see younger ones and the inexperienced expand their imagination to fix things and have fun doing it. And fishing isn't a bad occupation either. LOLClap

ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 7:19am
KevinON, just a note on rings be sure and get the required clearance you need from ring maker, to much clearance and you'll have leakage past rings and to little clearance and rings will seize as heat increases. Every manufacturer has a set standard on file fitting for their products.

Leon sorry to hear about bites, I know we all have ideas of things we want to accomplish in life, enjoy the fishin won't find a much better cure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic