This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD16 restoration in Michigan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD16 restoration in Michigan
    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:13am
Hello Group,.

I have somewhat abused the forum by posting pics randomly for a specific question to be answered or advise requested. Taking my lead from some of you whom have done extensive renovations and repair, this will be my one topic to show some before and after pics. I am humbled by ACMEL and his work and that of Rick, Cal, D Miller, Coke, Shameless and Morten to name just a few of you whom have posted some very nice work on restoring and saving this old iron. Most of what I have are the before pics and some piece work as up till now, I have been working on the basic mechanics of my baby. Filters, fluids, hoses, wiring, greasing, flushing and cleaning. To look at the outside nothing has changed so far but my girl purrs nicely. I have a few pics of pieces of equipment taking off and cleaned up like grill, lights, brackets, track adjusters, air cleaner, and floor plates as I can take them off and do them in my heated barn as opposed to the big barn the tractor sleeps in which is dirt floor and airy to say the least. It is however dry and thats good.

After pics will come over as I get them. Just got my battery boxes cleaned up, cut out all the rusted metal and welded back up. Solid and level. Pretty happy with them. floor plates all sanded and grounded, nuts bolts replaced and ready for paint.
Sponsored Links

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:27am
Now that's starting out good. I like the idea that in the off season you're doing a few pieces at a time. That way you don't feel overwhelmed. It looks like a good machine to begin with. Thanks for posting. Eat your heart out Mel. LOL
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by LeonR2013 LeonR2013 wrote:

Now that's starting out good. I like the idea that in the off season you're doing a few pieces at a time. That way you don't feel overwhelmed. It looks like a good machine to begin with. Thanks for posting. Eat your heart out Mel. LOL

Thank you Leon. I work full time and travel all over the country so my only time to spend quality time with my girl is weekends or nights in the shop. Love every minute of it.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:07pm
I don't have a cutting torch but i am going to borrow a K12 gas saw with a metal cutting blade on it to see if I can cut those blade wings off. They did a great job putting them on but I don't like the look. The pics of her outside is when I found her. had to load her on the low boy myself as the hauler didn't want to do it. Nailed it the first time. Tracks today are up to spec with 0 sag.
Morten.have View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by jerbob jerbob wrote:

I don't have a cutting torch but i am going to borrow a K12 gas saw with a metal cutting blade on it to see if I can cut those blade wings off. They did a great job putting them on but I don't like the look. The pics of her outside is when I found her. had to load her on the low boy myself as the hauler didn't want to do it. Nailed it the first time. Tracks today are up to spec with 0 sag.

It’s a bit funny! Because just today I have ordered a 900 x 1600 mm 25mm hardox plate to make 2 brand new wings for my 16’
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 5:28pm
Oh that's too funny Morten. We seem linked with our 16's. Pretty cool actual. My wings are extremely heavy duty. Found out the original owner had them put on and fabricated when doing a new hwy project. The ground was sand and gravel mix and he wanted to be able to move more material faster. I'll send you some pics of the detail on what he did. He also told me the plans were given to him through an Allis Chalmers design.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 7:25am
you growing weed in the back of that one shop? sure is a lot of green stuff back there!
The Consultator View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Consultator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 8:10am
Great project! It looks good!
1939 Allis-Chalmers "B" restored in 2010- very good condition.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 10:10am
Hahahaha! How else am I gonna pay for the resto Shameless!
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 10:11am
[QUOTE=The Consultator] Great project! It looks good!
[/QUOTE

Thank you. It's gonna be a busy spring when I can blast her and paint her.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 8:18am
Battery boxes repaired and ready for total cleanup and prime. I will admit that I did not weld them by myself as I don't own a welder YET, however I cut out the bad metal, formed the new steel plates and then played with the welder on the inside of the boxes. They are rock solid and Im pleased with them. My plan will be do cut a piece of 2x12 to fit inside. The boxes in addition to being bolted to the bar that runs across the back from one side to the next, I will lag screw through the sides into the 2x12's for added support. I used 1/2" threaded rod and stainless nuts and washers for the battery hold downs, and will secure the 2x12's to the deck with the same stainless nuts and washers. Will be rock solid when done. also added pics for MORTEN on the side extensions that my blade came with.

You will also see the paint I picked out. It is a very light yellow but an AC color. It matches the color of my tractor perfectly, on the non sun faded sections. I like and should look great with Black accents. You will see the color difference on the pic showing the headlight bracket ( new color ) on top of Cat Yellow Air Cleaner tub.

The new AC color comes from Van Sickle but had to buy it from All State Ag Parts. Very good to buy from. I had to by a minimum of 6 cans which they filled and total invoice was $47.00 delivered. Color is called CML 3016. ALLIS CHALMERS YELLOW (B-10).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic