This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thought I had it fixed... Guess not

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thought I had it fixed... Guess not
    Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 10:20pm
When I bought my WD 45 it had an issue with the steering.  The steering shaft had chewed out the quadrant, the lower support bracket, and rubbed the paint off the side of the gas tank.  We came to the conclusion, with the help of several of you here, that the square tube holding everything up had been bent.  I tried to straighten it using a hammer, come along, and a large tree.  This resulted in the breaking of the square tube.  On the bright side I now had clearance between the shaft and the gas tank. 
Two weeks ago I bought some good quality replacements from a salvage yard at Drakeville Ia., I can't remember how you spell the name now.  Got the quadrant, square tube, and lower bracket for a hundred dollars and came home pleased that it would all work properly again. 
We got everything refitted today, slid the steering shaft back in place, and discovered we were right back where we started.  The shaft was in contact with the gas tank again.  As I said before the parts I put on are in good shape, not much wear in any of them.  We shimmed the square tube out with some washers.  It just barely makes contact in one spot now.
I'm out of ideas now, the bracket for the gas tank isn't bent, at least not that can be seen by the human eye.  I was wondering if it could be the tank?  Were there differences in the gas tanks?  In other words if something fell on the tractor and the previous owner got a gas tank from a different model could it be wider on the bottom causing it to make contact?
Sorry for the long rambling post but I'm desperately grasping at straws here.  Plus I'm a little ticked off that I can't get this problem figured out and fixed.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Later,
Brad

Warning! Blind man with a tractor! Head for the hills!
Sponsored Links

Gary in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 4:15am
see if you can post some pictures of the square post and fuel tank, from different angles.
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:53am
can you jockey the tank around a little bit?  What about the bracket underneath the tank that the straps bolt to and the tank sits on? can it be jockeyed around a bit? Try loosening it and shoving it sideways half an inch or so.
BradH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 4:27pm
I won't be able to get back out there to work on it or take pictures until Wednesday but I'll let you know how it goes.  I tried before and couldn't do anything with the tank at the back end.  That's where it makes the most contact. 
Thanks,
Brad
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:16pm
Shim the tank up, ie put a 1/4" thick piece of something between tank and saddle. I know remove your belt from your pants and cut two pieces out of it one for the front and one for the back of the saddle.
BradH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:13pm
I'd do that but then I wouldn't have any way to carry my phone.  Stupid thing is too big to fit in my pocket.  Besides, this is my favorite belt.  Bought it at a second hand store several years ago and can't find another that I like as much as this one.  I think shimming the tank at the front is going to cause more contact at the back.  I'm toying with the idea of cutting and drilling a piece of metal to add in and raise the holes for the bracket on the back of the tank.  I wouldn't need much, just enough for clearance.  Not sure if that's workable yet though.  Out of curiosity, how much space is usually between the shaft and the tank on these tractors?
Later,
Brad
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:17pm
Brad,
 Well something is not right. But you already knew that! Maybe pictures and some measurements might help too. Any WD series tractors near you for looking at?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:30pm
Would a gas tank from like a D17 or something bolt on to a WD-45 and cause an interference fit I wonder?
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:53pm
there is a post that supports the shaft at the back end by the steering wheel... would it be possible to bend/ move it toward the right and get clearance past the gas tank ? ... or maybe shorten the post to lower the shaft ?

Edited by steve(ill) - 16 Oct 2017 at 9:54pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:59pm
Did you take the hood off and make sure the tank is sitting straight and square in the cradle.  You should take the tank off and check the support underneath as well.  It woulld be hard to do but maybe it got bent or shifted.  Maybe use a square and tape measure to measure up to the tank seam from the side rails on both sides, should be the same.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 1:20pm
I would think you could loosen up saddle mount and shift it some to get you clearance.Isn't there just 2 bolts underneath at the back that hold it to saddle? Unless something got whacked, there should be enough play in holes to shift things around.The shaft just clears on my 45 but it has add on power steering and the shaft is in sections so the clearance could be different that straight factory shaft.
BradH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 2:08pm
I've been asking a guy who drives a truck for the store I work at.  He has several tractors that he restored, a few of them orange.  He told me the tank being from  different tractor shouldn't make that much difference.  He just bought a WD 45 that has been sitting here in town.  He told me to go look at it before he hauls it away later this week.  I guess I wasn't really aware that the saddle could be adjusted any.  Guess I just never looked that close when I had the tank off before.  I'll have to check on that and get the pictures tomorrow when I'm out there. 
Thanks,
Brad

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:25pm
Here's a photo of the gas tank and steering shaft on my WD45 - you can see nearly an inch of clearance between them. HTH. Let me know if there are any measurements I can take for you - will be away after 10/18 for a while, so ya need to be quick!

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
BradH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:44pm
So I finally got out there today and got some pictures.  I compared the mounting from the other guy's WD 45 with mine and they are the same.  So I'm not missing anything and it's all put on right.  I followed one of your suggestions from above and put a straight edge against the frame up to the side of the tank.  No surprise here, it showed me that the tank is too far to the right.  I didn't mess with it too much but I couldn't seem to get the tank to move any.  I didn't take the bolts loose at the back end though, just too frustrated and other things to do.  I don't remember from when I had it off, are the hole on the tank bracket slotted to let it move to the side?  The only other thing I can figure is that the saddle is off somehow.  Not sure how it would happen, but I guess I can't come up with anything else.  Here are the pictures, maybe one of you who knows more than me can come up with something. 
Later,
Brad

TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:59pm
Did the tractor get rolled at some point; and bend the saddle where the tank sits?
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 6:07am
What about the steering wheel itself? Is the support it mounts to in the correct position?  Has that been bent to the left?  Pushed forward?
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 6:21am
looks to me the back bottom of the tank is shaped differently when you compare it to Dave's pic of his tank
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 6:25am
can't help about the tank rubbing but...
if you can, weld some X's on the clutch and brake pedals. smooth steel pedals ain't safe.

I know, probably on the 'list', but having tossin my back cause the loader frame was wet the other morning has me 'cautious' now.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 6:29am
&%^^&#*# Laptop!!  Had a response all done up and somehow it got lost....I'll try to rethink it...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 6:30am
saddle probably moved. I'm not sure, but I'd swear in one picture your tank is lower by about 3/4 inch than the other similar picture..... block of rubber underneath the tank may help, but the strap may not work anymore either. 
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 6:37am
I just went out in the dark and COLD and took a look at mine.  It appears that my steering shaft is about an inch below the tank.  SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT HERE.......It could be the TANK and not the saddle...

Got to thinking about it and WAS writing (when laptop went nuts and changed the page),,,,,did someone re-soldier the angle bracket that goes on the back of the gas tank??  If it is re-soldiered too far FORWARD, that would make the clearance less than it should be.  In the pic it looks like it is back a little on the saddle.  This would explain a lot!

When it warms up here and gets light out, I'll go out and get some measurements Brad and get back to you.
"Allis-Express"
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 7:38am
Just checked my 45. There is nearly 1 inch gap between shaft and tank, too.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 8:45am
Measure the front shaft if the pin hole got wore somebody could have cut off an re drilled or is it the wrong shaft reason I ask looking at steering wheel it looks way to close to the quadrent and that would move the back shaft up
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 10:28am
That wouldn't change the distance of the shaft to the tank.  Woudn't help at all.
"Allis-Express"
polarbear View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 11:05am
personally believe it has to be tank are tank saddle if either is bent down it would rub tank now if that would be the case loosen four bolts that hold tank saddle and put a washer between tank saddle and the torque tube that would raise tank
bryan/silex View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan/silex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 11:49am
I think the saddle is twisted,,,in your pics the tank is lower on one side as compared to the other  if your measuring at same point
WD's and 45's B's and c's and a few red ones , ALLIS EXPRESS also
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by bryan/silex bryan/silex wrote:

I think the saddle is twisted,,,in your pics the tank is lower on one side as compared to the other  if your measuring at same point
x2
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 3:22pm
Measure the distance from the center top of the torque tube to the top edge of the center of back end of the saddle.  I get about 11 3/4 inches...Maybe do the same on the back outer corners also. Distance above the back edge of the starter to the saddle base is 2.75. From the top of the hand clutch cover to the center weld of the back of the tank 15.5.
BradH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 5:18pm
Thanks everybody for the advice.  I had just about decided yesterday that it had to be the saddle, just couldn't tell for sure.  The support for the steering wheel has been replaced.  I got it from a salvage yard but the guy who sold it knows his stuff and I was told he'd get me good parts.  Guess I have to take his word on it.  I can't really tell that the tank bracket has ever been messed with.  If it was they did a very good job.  I didn't get many details about the tractor when I bought it but something was mentioned about a tree possibly falling on it.  I'm starting to think the tank is a replacement for the old one, not sure what that means to the situation though.  I think I'll take your suggestion Polarbear and put some washers under the saddle for now.  At least until I can secure a replacement.  I'll try and get some measurements when I take it apart.  Thanks again for the help and advice.
Later,
Brad
jkoby View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkoby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 5:57pm
I didn't think the gas tank on my wd went as far back over the battery as brad's?

I would have to go and look at it later though.

*Edited to add: I checked mine last night, it does go back over the battery.

Edited by jkoby - 20 Oct 2017 at 8:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic