This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap way to ballast tractor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickelplate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap way to ballast tractor?
    Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 10:39pm
Having a hard time finding rear ballast for 7000 series 18.4-38. Do not want calcium. Is it worth filling with RV antifreeze myself? If so what's the easiest way filling them?
Sponsored Links

wayneIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayneIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 12:32am
Just price checking on Amazon, a 55 gallon barrel of RV antifreeze is $380, and a 55 gallon barrel of windshield washer fluid for -20 degrees is $224.88.  If I remember correctly a 18.4x38 holds around 110 gallon of fluid.  Best bet for filling is if you can find a local Bio-tire, or rim guard dealer to buy the non-corrosive fluid from and have them fill the tires.  People have rigged equipment to fill lawnmower tires, but when putting 20 or 30 gallon in two tires, it is easier than trying to put 110 gallon in one tire.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 5:05am
CaCl2 isn't that hard on things if your smart enough to work with it.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 5:32am
I was in the same boat last Spring. I ended up buying the fill fitting at Tractor Supply and filled them with water. Last Fall I emptied them back out before I put it away for the winter.

I'm not sure what I'll do this Spring. I've heard of some using used anti-freeze. That's cheap and easy but there are concerns if you ever get a flat.
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 5:59am
I havn't tried it yet, but was going to use a barrel pump to put antifreeze in my tractor tires.  neighbor has a garage and am able to get all the used stuff I want.  the plan was to hook up the part ya get at tractor supply that works with a garden hose and rig it to the barrel pump.  then I'd run some oil in the barrel pump to keep it from rusting when I was done filling the tires.  last I checked they charged $7.00 per tire to fill them with washer fluid.
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
marion View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 6:46am
I used washer fluid and mixed it 50/50 with water and bought a bilge pump at harbor freight to pump it in. then found out local tire place would fill a 14.9x26 for $65 each and went that route. was methel alcohol. have wackey weather here. was 40 one day and 80 the next so was easy to see sweat line on tires I had filled
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 7:17am
Wheel weights will cost more originally but you don't have to deal with them or buy more
every time you have a flat or change tires and wheel weights won't rust your rims out
either.The 185 and the the 190 I just bought never had fluid in the rear tires and the rims  on both are about perfect which is a rarity on tractors that age.
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 7:39am
Hang a Massey underneath? LOL
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 7:44am
Our local dealer here charged $1 a gallon for Calcium and $3 a gollon for Rimguard. Depending on how much weight you need, weights may be an option, but You'll never be able to hang as much weight on there as 100 gallons of fluid.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:20am
Calcium in a (good) tube is no more of a problem to a rim than your neighbor having a drum of it in his barn.  I filled my tractor tires/tubes myself with a plastic fluid pump driven with a 3/8" electric drill to changed weight. You can buy a fill valve to place on the tube cheap.    When I bought new tires on my bigger Olivers I had the tire shop come out and empty and refill.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Dick L Dick L wrote:

Calcium in a (good) tube is no more of a problem to a rim than your neighbor having a drum of it in his barn.  I filled my tractor tires/tubes myself with a plastic fluid pump driven with a 3/8" electric drill to changed weight. You can buy a fill valve to place on the tube cheap.    When I bought new tires on my bigger Olivers I had the tire shop come out and empty and refill.

I've seen tractor tires/rims where the tube started leaking away from the valve stem and the first sign of it leaking was a hole coming in the rim.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:36am
Talked about here all the time. From my experience, fluid filled rims last about 40 years. Seems just now most of our 70's tractors rims are getting shot. New rims every 40 years isn't too bad, especially if they're common to find rims like most of the spin outs. It's almost impossible to farm and not get a flat every once in a while and leak fluid everywhere.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 9:25am
A tube will not guarantee a complete lack of calcium chloride damage in the long run. I had added CC to the rears of my MF-135 for trying to haul round bales with the loader. One day while running about 15 miles of road with my Long 1099 back hoe on the rear hitch to a welding shop for repairs, a crack in the inside sidewall of the right rear tire pinched the tube. CC sprayed out and the tractor drive train rusted instantly though it had a decent coat of original paint. My jeans stood up on their own when I got home that evening. I won't use calcium chloride in tires again.

Gerald J.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Gerald J. Gerald J. wrote:

A tube will not guarantee a complete lack of calcium chloride damage in the long run. I had added CC to the rears of my MF-135 for trying to haul round bales with the loader. One day while running about 15 miles of road with my Long 1099 back hoe on the rear hitch to a welding shop for repairs, a crack in the inside sidewall of the right rear tire pinched the tube. CC sprayed out and the tractor drive train rusted instantly though it had a decent coat of original paint. My jeans stood up on their own when I got home that evening. I won't use calcium chloride in tires again.

Gerald J.

You have a creative imagination. Off farm I have more experience than you ever will with CaCl2. On farm I have 4 tractors exposed after proper cleaning I have zero damage.

ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 12:39pm
i put washer fluid in my 170 tires last fall...took about 3 hrs. for both rears,,jacked one side at a time to get the weight off,,,let the air out ,,put fluid in and new valves,,,then bout 12-15# of air

i used a small old sump pump i had and a valve adapter,,,,put that stuff right in there,,had to let it burp the air out a few times but it was easy....put 55 gal in each tire,,bout 450# each,,900# total,works good,,way better than the cc i had in an old john deere,,,with rotted wheels

got this fluid -30 for about $75 a barrel...bout $160 with tax delivered from local manufacturer ,,,yep dropped it off in front of the barn,,,good deal for me....i thought about getting another barrel and putting another 25 gal. in each tire but this seems to be plenty,,,the sweat line shows them to be about half full,,,i i have room for another 25 gal. ,,,but for me i dont think i need it

ocharry
BenGiBoy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenGiBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 1:10pm
I heard that you need to fill them 80-90% full to avoid sloshing, which will mess with your final drives and tranny, eventually causing problems........ Is that true?
'39 Model B
Tractors are cheaper than girls, remember that!
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 1:42pm
If you have a leak clean the the wheel. Clean the wheel doesnt mean spray it off with a garden hose. It means break it down and scrub with soap. Replace tube and refill. Dad and uncles have lots of tractors with chloride in the rears and they havent lost any yet......
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 3:37pm
 Let me start off by saying that I don't care what you do with your equipment. I just want to make sure that you fully understand before you make a decision.

It seems that every tractor I buy has issues with rusty and rotted rims. This means repairing or replacing rims which cost both time and money. Most of the damage is caused by calcium chloride. The only way that the calcium chloride can damage the rims is if the owners let it. If the calcium chloride would be cleaned off the rims then no damage will be done. If someone spills milk don't they clean it up? It is no different with calcium chloride. Soap and water is all that is needed. A little maintenance is required in replacing the cores about every 2 years which takes up about 15 mins per tractor.
 I put calcium chloride in every tractor I own and I have not had any issues with rusting in the past 20 years.
 If you don't want to use calcium chloride because of a fear of rust, your fear is not justified.
 You will never find a better source of weight than calcium chloride @ 14 lbs per gallon. Rim-Guard is the 2nd best for weight but cost 3 times more than calcium chloride (your paying for a new rim anyway).  You can't add enough wheel and suitcase weights  to equal the weight of calcium chloride. The reason it's still around today is because there is nothing else that can surpass it.
 Use whatever you want for fluid it's your call just don't decide out of fear.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 5:13pm
I did not imagine what I reported, it really happened. No way I will ever use calcium chloride again.

Gerald J.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 5:36pm

I did not imagine what I reported, it really happened. No way I will ever use calcium chloride again.

Gerald J.
 I'm not saying your wrong in any way, leaks happen. It's a fact that calcium can not eat though paint instantly. All it takes is a few nicks or scratches in the paint to show rust. After that the rust will bleed over on to the paint and make it look worst than it really is.  
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 7:50pm
Yea there are probably ways to keep CaCl from destroying a tractor rim but over the years
its been extremely rare to see a rear tractor rim rusted out that did not have some type of fluid in it.On the other other hand I've seen hundreds of rims destroyed and damaged by fluid in them.Expecting tractor owners to constantly moniter their rims and then have any
leaking tire/tube replaced immediately just doesn't happen in the real world apparently.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:40pm

Gerald J.

Is it common practice for you to handle chemicals without understanding how handle them properly?   Amazing part is you don't know how to properly clean it up but whine it ruined your tractor. Look in a mirror the reason your tractor rusted will be looking back at you.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

Expecting tractor owners to constantly moniter their rims and then have any leaking tire/tube replaced immediately just doesn't happen in the real world apparently.
  You are correct about real world. Most of the old tractor just sit around and are forgotten about in the corner of a shed and they start there slow decay.
  Unless the tube gets punctured all you do is change the core every two years. No constant monitoring needed. Don't people change oil, grease bearings and change filters on tractors? It's just simple maintenance.
 I have 10 tractors that get this done every two years no issues.  

Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by DennisA (IL) DennisA (IL) wrote:

Expecting tractor owners to constantly moniter their rims and then have any leaking tire/tube replaced immediately just doesn't happen in the real world apparently.
  You are correct about real world. Most of the old tractor just sit around and are forgotten about in the corner of a shed and they start there slow decay.
  Unless the tube gets punctured all you do is change the core every two years. No constant monitoring needed. Don't people change oil, grease bearings and change filters on tractors? It's just simple maintenance.
 I have 10 tractors that get this done every two years no issues.  

You're the exception I've seen plenty of old  tractors that never had the oil filter changed
and I'd say less than 1% ever changes a valve stem.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 9:00pm

[/QUOTE]

You're the exception I've seen plenty of old  tractors that never had the oil filter changed
[/QUOTE
 It is so sad that people can't take care of equipment, every disappointing.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 9:05pm
Gerald J do you realize CaCl2 is safe enough that is has a food grade version with exactly the same chemical composition? Ever have a marrishino cherry? Commercially processed pickle? Beer? Guess what you ate calcium chloride.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 9:05pm

You're the exception I've seen plenty of oldĀ  tractors that never had the oil filter changed

Finally, I made the 1%.
Maximum use of available resources!
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 9:22pm
The transmission and clutch housing turned brown facing the split tire in a few minutes after the tire split while I was about 15 miles from the farm and 5 miles from the welding shop. No way I could wash it and the aluminum paint didn't completely cover those iron castings. I did wash it when I got to the welding shop but it had already rusted.

I haven't had any beer for at least 40 years. The pickles that I eat daily do say calcium chloride in the brew, I'm sure no where near the concentration used in tires. My Merck Chemical Index says lethal dose in rats is 4 g per kg. It lists many uses from speeding up concrete setting to melting ice and snow and for adding weight to tractor tires.

If it doesn't rust the rims or the tractor the main advantage of calcium chloride solution in tires is that its a lot heavier than water or alcohol based antifreezes or windshield washer solution.

Gerald J.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 1:21am
I worked in the concrete industry for 25 years and no way I'd ever put CaCl in any concrete  I'd of had poured for my self it destroys the rebar and causes problems in the concrete. Most all commerical and state jobs call for a non CaCl accelerator in the concrete and have for years.
And look what it does to roads and vehicles when applied to melt snow.
Anyone that has had a tire bust with CaCl in it while using  a tractor won't forget it too soon when it sprays the  tractor with the nasty stuff.
wayneIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayneIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 1:37am
I agree with you Gerald J, I've had to put rims on my: WD-45D, D-17D, and 190XT-III due to valve stem hole corrosion.  I figured up what the rims cost and by putting the non-corrosive in it paid for the next set of rims that would have potentially rotted too.  I don't care what anyone else uses for ballast, but I will spend the money to go the non-corrosive route and not worry when I have leak and need to try and prevent the rust.  I realize that everyone's situation is different, but my equipment gets used regularly all year round and haven't seen service plan that prevents punctures or internal pinching that will cause leaks that can cause corrosion (I've had both over the years, from nails and a ripple inside the tire that couldn't be seen from the outside).  I still don't understand Victory Allis though, one time treating everyone like they don't understand how dangerous a chemical is, and the next saying how its food grade.  Table salt will rust metal just like calcium chloride will, last time I checked corrosion was corrosion regardless of what chemical did the damage.  I have friends that have done the windshield washer route, and I've heard of several people using the RV antifreeze or regular engine antifreeze for tire ballast and have nothing against any of those products, but for me cost and availability made it easier and more cost effective to use the commercially available bio tire product.  I have the bio tire in my: D-17D, 7050, and the rear tires of my R50 (to offset the weight of a 10 row 20" corn head) all my other tires are dry and the D-21 has cast weights.  The only piece of equipment I have that has the corrosive fluid in it (only 1 rear tire though) is my 7060 which I'm selling and will the purchaser decide if they are going dry, changing fluids, or filing the dry tire with calcium chloride.

Bottom line to my first post is that when filling the tires, I figure I can pay the local tire shop to do the fluid transfer and be money ahead from buying the fittings, and a pump and the added time of transferring the fluid myself (since anyone's time is worth something).  If you are in a situation where there is no local tire shop that can do it for you, then you will need to improvise.  Also on the prices I listed, it was just a quick search I did to find a "ballpark" cost of using those fluids.  I haven't bought any tire ballast in the last 3-4 years, and can't remember what I paid exactly then even.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic