This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Straight pipe 7040?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Straight pipe 7040?
    Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:50am
Hey guys, Just curious if anyone here runs a straight pipe on a 7000 series with the 426? Is it a lot louder? I want to hear a bit more turbo whistle and wouldn't mind it being a bit louder, As long as it isn't unbearable. Would there be any issues with a straight piped 7040.. would I lose any power or harm the engine? 

Thanks,
Sponsored Links

Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:03am
It's not too bad on my brother's 7030. Just a little louder. The muffler will go back on sometime soon. Just used a straight pipe until the new engine was broken in. I'm a muffler fan and value my hearing. Even a little louder is still louder.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:22am
I love the sound of an awesome running straight piped diesel.....for about 5 minutes from a distance on somebody else's tractor and farm. I'd never want to do that to my ears continuously.
skateboarder68 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skateboarder68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:47am
Have a straight piped 7045, I think it sounds good but the door and Windows are tight with a new cab kit. Had a D21 fender tractor straight pipe that sounded good but after 5 minutes running her wide open discing I was ready for earmuffs or a muffler. 7045 been that way for 4000 plus hours no harm yet
Orange & Silver still earnin their keep on the farm: R62, Series IV D17 nf, 185, 6080, 6080 fwa, 220, 1968 D21, 7045, DT240.
CALEBnOK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALEBnOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 10:14am
Our d21 has straight 5" loud and can hear it a mile away.
I wear plugs but if it was more than a toy we would run a muffler.
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 10:55am
What?
Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 11:18am
I have a 4" on my 7040 and 5" on my 7060 and 7080. I wouldn't have them any other way! I love the sound and in the cabs its not much of a difference.
When someone tells you Nothings Impossible, Tell them to slam a revolving door
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

I love the sound of an awesome running straight piped diesel.....for about 5 minutes from a distance on somebody else's tractor and farm. I'd never want to do that to my ears continuously.

Spoken like someone who knows your hearing already goes downhill fast enough as you get older and not wanting to have it go faster.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by DougS DougS wrote:

Spoken like someone who knows your hearing already goes downhill fast enough as you get older and not wanting to have it go faster.

I have to agree hearing is one of those things you don't notice getting worse till it is too late
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Dan73 Dan73 wrote:

Originally posted by DougS DougS wrote:

I have to agree hearing is one of those things you don't notice getting worse till it is too late
I have a friend in his 80s, and he said his wife sometimes complains about is hearing loss. He tells her, "I can't hear as good as I used to, but I can hear pretty darn well for what I've been through!"  
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 12:09pm
I have a 3" pipe on my 7060 and had a muffler on my 7050. I couldn't tell any difference inside the cab. I have a 5" on my 7030 and it is a lot deeper tone than the 3". I think the 5" with a cab wouldn't be bad.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 12:16pm
Huh. ..? What. ..? Could you repeat that please. ...? What's that you say. .? I'm sorry. ..?

Yeah, I didn't take such good care of my hearing when I was young, and am paying for it now, but I think it was ruined by far louder noises than a straight pipe on a 7040, Darrel
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 12:31pm
I have a straight pipe on my 7010 and 7060. I also had one on a 7040. Not much difference in the cab as said before. The 7060 had a real good whistle to it until I had to have the turbo replaced. I love to here a good sounding straight piped diesel. All of them have 3 inch pipe.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 12:36pm
A straight pipe is the best thing you can do for a turbo diesel. As long as it has a cab, and you either use a curved pipe, or long enough straight one, the noise level inside the cab should not increase much. Non turbo diesels, ugh! put the muffler on! lol!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 1:12pm
The hours per year you need to sit in the seat has a lot to do with it too I would think. Like Lonn said above, just a little bit louder is still louder. When you're exposed to a frequency for a long time, it takes it's toll, and for every decibel louder that frequency is, the more quickly it leaves its mark. I hope to hear my grandkids someday, even after "all I've been through". The high pitched constant whine at work here is enough for me.
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 1:26pm
I have 3" straight on my 7040 and it is 3" higher than the cab I have had people tell me it sounds good. I always wear hearing protection when running it. I run a 13 ft sidewinder tiller at 2200 rpm. 
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 2:22pm
Ran a D21 for a few years, loved the sound but did wear hearing protection.  When I was younger I would even open the door on my M2 for a few minutes just to listen to the motor, now that I am older I think I am paying for it.  Protect your hearing as much as possible.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 2:23pm
Ive been using the yellow ear plugs since about 1984. Can still hear the machine, stereo. Wear them in tractor, combine. Take out the "harsh" sounds. I think if you use proper hearing protection you'll be fine. I straight pipe all my engines, have for years. Take care, Trev.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 2:53pm
Used to run my brothers Farmall M with a straight pipe now I wear a $6,000.00 pair of hearing aids
hillmonkey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hillmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 3:15pm
One vote for leave the muff.If you are going to run a straight pipe with ear plugs you might as well leave the muffler on.Spend the $ on air filter,oil and oil filter,batteries etc.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 4:11pm
Running a straight pipe will usually drop exhaust temps 100 degrees or a little more, which is good for the engine. If you simply remove the mufflers two internal baffles, you can keep the noise level down and drop exhaust temps as well. Use a piece of pipe three feet or so long and 1 1/2" diameter. Set the pipe on the shop floor and slide the muffler down over it. Pound the muffler up and down like a fence post driver until the first baffle is broken loose. Turn muffler over and pound out the other baffle. Result is cooler exhaust temps and pleasant noise levels. I used to do this to many brand new tractors and the Customer never even realized it.
John D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 4:59pm
We have a curved pipe on our 7060, I believe it is louder but not terrible. I'm not a fan of the big hole it leaves in the hood though.

1964 D17 series 3
DIESEL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIESEL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:18pm
I put one on my 7010 last year before bailing and I don't think it's any louder than the muffler was. It is about the same height as the cab I don't know if that help's and I like the visibility better.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Stan R Stan R wrote:

What?
Good one. LOL!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 6:38pm
I bought a late 200 with factory cab. Came with a straight pipe. Had to run it 7 miles down the road. Went to town and bought a muffler put it on before tractor came home. I hope your cab is good, you will wish it was before the day is over.
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:13pm
Our cranked up 7060 has a three inch chrome pipe with a turn out on it....Lots of whistle and talk when u load her up
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by injpumpEd injpumpEd wrote:

A straight pipe is the best thing you can do for a turbo diesel. As long as it has a cab, and you either use a curved pipe, or long enough straight one, the noise level inside the cab should not increase much. Non turbo diesels, ugh! put the muffler on! lol!

Amen to that.  The pipe on my 6080 is the same height as the top of the cab.  It is not loud inside the cab.  On the outside you can hear that thing coming from a mile away at wide open throttle.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 11:32pm
I have a FW-30 Ford with a VT 903 Cummins it has a straight pipe. Last spring my step cousin was working ground for us.   My wife told him call when you cross the highway and I will get you back to your pickup. She was out in the yard when he called she could hear him take off from the stop sign ....... it's 3 miles away. But in the cab I can talk on my cellphone. Point is it might be louder to be around but not louder to operate. But then again Steiger built them like tanks.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 11:39pm
my 7010 and 7080 both have straight pipes, and I don't hear any dif in noise inside the cab, but my old lady.....ooooops....I mean the loving wife says both sound sweet!
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 1:11am
I think as long as the pipe exits above the cab roof, there should be no increase in noise in the cab, but I have not proven that idea scientifically.

btw, a 7040 with a straightpipe sounds so good. :)
Gleaner: the properly engineered and built combine.

If you need parts for your Gleaner, we are parting out A's through L2's, so we may be able to help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic