This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

180 transmission/hydraulic fluids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexanderBotts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 180 transmission/hydraulic fluids
    Posted: 19 May 2013 at 12:45pm
This one has me scratching my head.  Our neighbor has a 180 that has the hydraulic fluid migrating into the transmission fluid.  They have been running a hand pump to transfer the fluid from the transmission back into the hydraulic reservoir side (I know, I cringe too thinking about the hydraulic pump and the general lubrication of the transmission and rear end).  First thought would be a leaky seal somewhere, but which one.  The other scenario would be a crack in the case between the two reservoirs allowing the hydraulic fluid to seep into the transmission.  At this point I think both the hydraulic and the transmission fluids are 90% hydraulic fluid and 10% 90 weight. (this has been going on for years). 
Before we rip and tear, any ideas?
Sponsored Links

DanD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:32pm
Allis recommended the use of the 821 oil in both the hydraulic and transmission for years.  They probably already have the same oil in them so temporarily pumping oil from one compartment to the other probably won't hurt too much except that the oil in the tranny doesn't get filtered.   I do believe that the seal leaking between the two compartments is a rather common failure after 40 or so years of use.

Edited by DanD - 19 May 2013 at 2:33pm
Jim in MO View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 2:57pm
I'm with Dan it is a seal between the two compartment. Jim
AlexanderBotts View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexanderBotts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 3:51pm
Thank you gentlemen, at least now we know what direction to head in. The confusion on the oil was in the manual for my 190XT it calls for 80 weight in the transmission.  I was going on the assumption that they would have done it in all the models.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 4:13pm
Replace the 2 pto seals too while its apart, put them in back to back
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 9:17pm
When you get it apart, replace the housing the PD sets in if there is any groves from the piston ring seals set. Always replace the 3 piston rings. This is what causes the seal to fail alot of time. If enough oil leaks past the piston ring seals it will blow the seal going into trans.
 Use hydraulic wet brake in all of power train. Some may say final drives need 80-90, but why?  Hydraulic wet brake is a better oil, 70 and 80 series including 4wd use HWB in planitarys (final drive).   MACK
MARCORVET View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARCORVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 9:04pm
I am having the same problem. Can't find a part number for the seal/gasket. Does anyone have the part number.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 10:05pm
Look on the AGCO parts book website.  Click on the "guest" button, then search for your model of tractor.

www.agcopartsbooks.com
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 10:13pm
70235253 for the seal......70235254 for the gasket.....70242704 for the bearing retainer.....70243226 for the three sealing rings.....all from an AGCO dealer.....must have a poor partsperson if they can't find these common parts for you.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 7:35am
As a temporary fix and with some a permanent fix you can remove the drain plugs and install two pipe fittings connected together with a hose to allow the fluid in both compartments to equalize. Never did this myself but told it works.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
MARCORVET View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARCORVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 4:03pm
Thanks for the info. just have to order the parts. Still baling hay, can't tear into it until the other tractor is available to feed cattle.

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 10:21pm
There are a few other o rings and gaskets you will need, but that is what a parts man is paid to do, look up parts #.      MACK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic