This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are modifications frowned upon?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are modifications frowned upon?
    Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 2:41am
I know every hobby has it's purists, my 616 has had the Onan engine replaced with a new 22hp, so it's not entirely correct anyway. I am wanting to build a roll-bar with a sun canopy, and since the majority of my grass cutting is highway frontage, I want a flashing yellow light on top. I know it's my tractor, but would I be ruining it's value by adding such?
Sponsored Links

talntedmrgreen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talntedmrgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 9:48am
I tend to think that this question always depends on what your starting point is.  Is this a 1-owner, 400 hour machine, in above or well above average condition?  Has it already been modded, neglected or repaired?  The larger machines seem to have a higher acceptance of modifications and modernization (repower) than the smaller tractors, I think.  They were and remain more costly, so owners want to put them to work, and that typically requires a modern power plant or other upgrades.

I see the only loss in value occurring when someone is modifying an above average, unadulterated survivor.  Those machines will fetch a higher resale from a purist collector than a user.  The opposite seems true of a machine that is average or less, or already modified.  At that point, improve the machine as needed to help it earn it's keep...the value will rise with it's utility.
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 10:07am
i make alot of mods , but itry try to do it in a way that it can be ubolted or changed back the way it came or i get a spare part to customize 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 2:43pm
think of it this way

it has a value to you...
and a totally different one to the guy you sell it to !!

I'm old enough to not give a ratzatz to the tire kicker who says...this and that ain't original, to those I guys I say well have a nice day.....
I seriously doubt you can find ANY 'original, mint condition, 100% factory original anything.....'. To the purists...well, if the BATTERY ain't original in anything, it ain't 100% original !

Do what makes you comfortable, safe and happy !! The tape measure of life is only 72 long and I'm betting most of yours is used up, I know mine is !

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 7:01am
We offer a flasher kit for the 616-720 Tractors. You get two "Lolipop" lamps, (red on one side amber on the other) which you mount in the rear fenders, the wiring, switch and fuse to install the kit. If you go to our website (bb-customcircuits.com) and go into the 616-720 parts category, you'll see pictures of the kit. Looks factory, works great!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic