This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Year differences in the R series?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Year differences in the R series?
    Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 6:58am
I'm probably just dreaming, but I'm considering looking for an R series to run along side out L series combines. I know there are a huge amount of differences between the early 00 Rs and those from the earlier decade, but I was wondering where the big differences came at. I realize beggers can't be choosers, but although I know what a difference there is between the first L2s and the last ones, I wouldn't know where to start on the R series. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Sponsored Links

wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 8:35am
I will be watching this one. I've been wondering the same thing. The 52 and 62's are getting close to my price range. I think I would want one with a Cummins.
SLee(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLee(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 8:39am
Biggest change to capacity and operation in my opinion is 1996 and newer have the long shoe. (larger chaffer and sieve)
Steve
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 9:41am
I've been watching and looking as well. Seems like the Cummings took the place of the Deutz air cooled engine about 93-94. An R60 with the Cummins would be all the machine we would ever need. R60 with Deutz motor sold on Auction Time last week for $6700. I just can't see me buying a machine with the Deutz motor.
Leon B
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 10:14am
 I have a rebuilt 670HI with the rpm turned down to like later 670 engines. 2400 rpm?? Would that be an all too hard of a task to put an R50, 60, or 70? I know many would say get a cummins but I already have a nice 670HI in hand and paid for. Sorry for the hijack.

Adam, I think the early R50 has one or two simplified drives from the later but not willing to make a bet. I would bet the R52 has a simplified drive or two over the early R50. The early R40-70 needed a bean head with self contained hydraulic system but starting in the model 1989-1/2 and up they don't. The later R60 and R70 I think came with the better P3 cage as did all R40 and R50 combines. That's about all I know.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 12:44pm
Compared to L and early R, R50 has less belts and chains. R60-70 about the same as early R/N. There are quite a few different things from R's built in the 80's compared to ones built in the 90s
8070FWA,7080 BlackBelly, 7045,2 200s,D19,D17,G, WD,45,UC,7 AC mowers and lots more!
"IT TAKES 3 JD's TO OUT DO AN ALLIS, 2 TO MATCH IT IN THE FIELD AND 1 FOR PARTS!"
wayneIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayneIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 2:01am
I may be off a little, but from what I've seen/been told: The R50 through R55 models all had essentially the same threshing system (P3), the biggest changes were in the cleaning shoe being longer in the 52 and 55 models and the later 52 and on combines having the same (larger) clean grain elevator as the R6X and R7X models.  In 89 the R50 got a HP boost from 190 to 210 HP, and in 90 the combine supplied oil and control valve for the bean head reel was installed.  The R60 and R70 models had a similar threshing system to the N series combines with the cage sweep.  The R62 and R72 combines had the later P3 processor, from my understanding.  The cages are heavier in the R50, R60, and R70 than the N series combines.  In the R52, R62, I know the Deutz or the 8.3 liter Cummins was the engine option, but I don't know the engine options for the R72 (I've been told the Cummins was a lot more noisy than  the Deutz).   
On my R50 the dealer removed 4 rows of threshing and seperating bars (left the reverse seperator bars in it).  This allows the material to "fluff" while being seperated and release trapped grain along with allowing you to run the rotor faster to get more "free" horsepower (in the form of inertia for when a slug goes through) and requiring less horsepower to run.  For me on my R50 the clean grain elevator is the choke point, I played with the combine last year and with a 10 row 20" (16 2/3') head in corn that checked 207 bushel on a weigh wagon, I was able to run up to 5 1/4 MPH and have enough power.  The problem was that I was filling the cleaning shoe since the elevator couldn't keep up (watching the grain loss monitor, I wasn't blowing any grain over the back), I could maintain about 4 1/2 MPH and be at the limit of the elevator (I had installed poly elevator paddles, and sped the elevator up to gain more capacity). 
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:36am
Wayne is pretty much spot on. Except. The R60/R70 Hawk edition was the start of the P3 processor in those sizes. And when they are hypernyzed they are a completely different machine. Get the reverse bars out, and put disrupters in. Complete the helical bar, and the bean groan will be gone. I agree with you guys on the dootz motor. If they were new, it would drag that cummins around all day on its back. But used, and age, give me the cummins. I would get a 62. The cab alone is light years ahead. And will save you several concussions !!! If you have run a 60/70 you will know what l mean.
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:46am
So any thoughts on putting an Allis 426 in a 50 or 60? Easy or too hard to do?
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:54am
I am sure you could put it in there. Have to get a radiator out of one with the cummins. Would be AWSOME in an R50. But l would say that would be the limits. We all remember the 426 screaming in the N6. And the R60 had a 813 cubic inch non turbo. And the 62 was 779 twin turbo. I don't think a 426 is a good replacement for that.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 6:04am
If I end up keeping this R50 that might be the plan just for fun over winter.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 8:58am
The perfect replacement engine for the Deutz in an R-50 would be a B-series 359 Cummins. Almost exactly the same length and it wouldn't weigh any more. Radiator would be the challenge.
Larry B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 9:13am
Don't know what you want to spend but go for a r52, much better machine than the 50.
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 9:34pm
If you are used to an L-2 you had better go with a 60 or 62...you wouldn't be happy with a 50 or 52 I'm afraid
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 7:57am
Thanks for all the advice. I don't know what or if I will do. We currently have a fleet (literally) of L2s and L3s and several parts machines but it seems like we are having more major problems than we used to. Some things just happen (like the loose oil line that just cost us a transmission) but there are also just a lot of parts that seem to be getting tired. The Gleaner rotaries never caught on down here and there are very few of them around. I would like a bigger machine with more capacity, but i don't really want to switch colors and I definitely want to be able to work on it myself without having to run it through a dealer all the time. Of course, I'm not made of money and $2.80 corn at the elevator isn't helping me buy a newer one either.
1480man View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1480man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 9:04am
We liked the Deutz in our R60, just had to be inspected and blown out daily.  It never gave us any problems.
John
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Jwmac7060 Jwmac7060 wrote:

If you are used to an L-2 you had better go with a 60 or 62...you wouldn't be happy with a 50 or 52 I'm afraid

We demoed a R52 against our L3 at the time both with 20ft heads. We got a R62. Agree with you !!!!!
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 9:53am
Adam I was a Gleaner guy forever until we demoed a Deere....I know I'm gonna get crucified for saying it on here...if I were you I would look for a 9500...they are affordable,easy to work on and parts are available...I never did like the rotary Gleaners.Ill admit I haven't run the new S series so I can't comment on them but have ran all of the R's and I wouldn't trade my 9670 for any of them
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 1:52pm
Adam, I'm in the exact same spot. I'm familiar with gleaner conventional combines but I don't know of a single rotary in our area. Everyone in our area runs IH rotaries. I'm considering a 2188 just because of all the parts and knowledge availability. Dads neighbor and buddy was a tech rep fo case so he knows them in and out. He still gives a combine clinic at the dealership every year.

Edited by wekracer - 08 Sep 2016 at 2:02pm
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 1:55pm
Case IH is a good machine my uncle had one and if I ever switched from Deere it would be to that
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 3:34pm
Go along with the crowd guys, probably voting for Hillary to Just kidding. I wouldn't be scared of any other color in a gleaner. I have run in the same field with my buddy who has deeres. They have nothing on a Gleaner. Other than a big cult following !!!
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 4:24pm
look at the R series and up compared to the other brands.  less belts, moving parts and bs to wear out.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
AC200Puller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC200Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 5:14pm
I have owned Gleaners all my life started out with a straight F and up to the M2 . I have run green ones along the way and was not that impressed with them ,I ran in the same field with a 6620 and I had my M2 both had 6 row heads , I kept catching up to him and he said he couldn't go any faster as he was already pushing corn out the back, so he walked behind my machine as I was going and he couldn't believe it not a kernel on the ground. I put him in the seat and he did 10 acres got out and said I can't believe it it was so much nicer! He bought an L3 the next year. I just got rid of my M2 this summer and updated to a R62 can't wait to dig into the fields!
Auntwayne View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auntwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 8:32pm
   You have the "CULT" part right John.
Dad always said," If you have one boy, you have a man. If you have two boys, you have two boys". "ALLIS EXPRESS"
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 9:24pm
Thanks for the input. We had and 8820 deere for a while and were not impressed. When it was going, it was quite a machine, but when it wasnt it was a real bear compared to the Ls. That's been 10 years ago plus, but it wasn't a great experience for us. I will probably just keep working on what I have until I win the lotto or plow up a gold nugget, but while I'm dreaming I like to know specifics! Thanks again

Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 9:32pm
Hey u don't have to worry about any of us Hoosiers voting for Hillary...u guys over there in the land of Lincoln will be the ones that vote blue...as far as the great combine debate we will have to agree to disagree....I'm not a cult follower...the combine is the only green piece of equipment on the farm...the tractors are orange and versatile red....I know guys with yellow combines that swear by them too...it's whatever works...all I do know is with 2.85 corn combines are gonna get real cheap real fast
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 9:38pm
Adam I agree I wouldn't have a 2O series Deere...the 100 series were good machines...we had a 9600,10,50 rotary 60 rotary and now a70 that I'm sure I will have to run for the next 15 years...I never will understand why Deere put the motor up next to the cab like the Massey's...Gleaner did have that right long before Deere
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 8:48am
My only real concern at this point is maintenance. Right now with the L3 I work on anything. But like Adam said, it seems like I am spending more time working on them than I used to. With all the electronics on the newer machines I'm afraid I won't be able to do the work myself. I can't afford to pay $100/hour to have a dealer work on a new one. If I get an R62 or a 2188 either way will be totally new to me and you guys on here will be my only source of info on an R62. All my neighbors have red ones and know how to work on them. That's my only real reason for considering anything other than gleaner.

Do the electronics give trouble in the newer machines like the old ones. Seem like mice like the wires and sometime the wires just go bad. It seems like I'm tracking down an electrical problem every year. But I like all the monitors to work.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 9:06am
Would the R62 be overkill for a 630 corn head and say a 20-22 foot grain head? With terraces, hills, field size and so on we don't really want to go much bigger, just newer. Some day.
Leon B

Edited by Leon B MO - 09 Sep 2016 at 9:11am
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 9:17am
leon we run 6-30 corn head on our 62 in dryland corn.  we just run a little faster and it works fine.  we run 25 ft flex heads and bolt up solid for wheat and milo
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic