This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis-Chalmers 616 Hydro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GovernorJason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis-Chalmers 616 Hydro
    Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 5:23pm
Does anyone have any idea the type of battery needed as a replacement for what I believe is a 1980's model Allis-Chalmers 616 Hydro?
Thank you all in advance.
Sponsored Links

Gary (sw Wis.) View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary (sw Wis.) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 12:14pm
This is what I use in mine. Works good. Hope this helps.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/040565-blains-farm-and-fleet-lawn-and-garden-battery.html
190XT - D17 - D14 - WD45 w/loader - WD - (2)B110 - 616H - 610 - B-208 - WD with 190 Mounted Corn Picker - All Crop 60
GovernorJason View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GovernorJason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 8:09am
Thank you very much, any information I can get is very useful.
GovernorJason View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GovernorJason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 8:11am
One last thing, I see there are three different options.  Are the only differences the CCA numbers?
GlenPettit View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenPettit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 10:49am
The more CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) the stronger the battery, especially in colder weather.

Cold weather can really reduce the amps, a lot at very low temperatures, it's in there but the power just can't get out and be used. Hot weather will quickly use up the amps, even in an unused battery, even when it's not on the tractor.  Higher CCA batteries may last "slightly longer",  but removing the battery in very Cold or very Hot weather is best for long life, and storing them in a cool low place.  CCA is always measured at 0ºF at 30 seconds, but is for an output of only 7.2 amps, some of our tractors require 10–12 amps as a minimum to keep running; a higher CCA is capable of giving more amps and for several cold-starts at 0ºF, plus older tractors may not pump the fresh fuel in fast enough to start on the first try.
Which CCA you get depends on your need, battery's exposure and what you are wiling to pay; because I need them to plow & throw snow in our Michigan Winters, when often well below zero Fº, I always go with the higher CCA's myself (350 to 400).  If I know it's going to be a minus 10-20ºF, then a small bulb is left on next to the battery, and then 'my baby'  is covered with blankets overnight, out in the barn.

Michigan Glen

Edited by GlenPettit - 12 Jul 2016 at 11:28am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic