This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6 Steering clutches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rzee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6 Steering clutches
    Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 1:24pm
My left side steering is not working in forward but a little in reverse, and my right side steering is about 50%. I have replaced the steering clutches 2 years ago because of the same issues. I suspect that the clutches are getting oil on them maybe from a bad engine seal. Has anyone here had a similar problem ? If so, I would to hear of a workable solution.
thanks
Sponsored Links

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 3:34pm
Did you removed the stering cluch housing plugs for drain and if you have oil in it should came from bevel gear housing and how far are the  adjustement stering cluch lever and brake pedal
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 4:05pm
In bottom of case are holes threaded for 3/4" pipe plugs . be sure when running the machine they are OUT unless running in water . 
 Put in plugs - fill case with aprox 4 gallons of diesel or stoddard solvent - run machine back and forth pulling clutches and applying brakes - then put catch pan under machine and remove plugs 
 Operate machine again but not under load of working until clutch plated dry out . 
Other thing is remove clutch packs - replace friction material with HD11 ceramic bi-metal clutch plates . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 7:06am
I have had a bad experience washing the clutch packs with diesel. Mice were living in the steering clutch compartment. The combination of diesel and mouse nest made a big mess. Since then I check thru the 3/4 drain opening that the steering clutch compartment is free of mice.

Mouse pee can freeze up a clutch pack quickly. Mice enter via the brake operating rod opening. I fabricated a replacement for the rubber bellows using the plastic from a 5 gallon oil pail.
rzee View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rzee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:28am
I am running with the plugs in. I'll try pouring solvent in there and clean the clutches and run without the plugs. Where would the oil come from as the engine is far from the steering clutches?
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:52am
if you have oil in your dry clutch housing its likely from the bevel gear shaft seal/compartment
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 11:03am
Both sides of the steering clutch compartment contain oil. Oil in the steering clutch compartment will effect the brake band more than the steering clutch. Are the steering clutches slipping or are they not disengaging?
rzee View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rzee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 11:46pm
The brakes are working fine. The steering controls little or no effect on the direction of travel. Currently I can only drive forward and reverse and if I am on a mound  perpendicular to the tracks, then I am able to turn using the brakes. I removed the plugs and there seems to be lots of oil in the right side compartment but the left side is dry. I will pick up some solvent tomorrow and try the washing process.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 5:03am
You should have  on top stering cluch lever 1 to 3 inchs free travel and the brake pedal should have 1 3/4 to 2 inchs  free play on HD6
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic