This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V8 tractor engine swap?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V8 tractor engine swap?
    Posted: 18 May 2016 at 9:28am
Who did the 305 V8 into a D series?

I wonder what adapter had to be made for the clutch setup and the bolt in?
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 2:24pm
There's been a couple of the family here that have done a V8 swap. I had my feelers out for someone that made the adapter plate myself a while back but nobody stepped up to the plate to say who it was. they might have made the plate themselves. Some here have machine shops or work in a machine shop. I would think that would be a pretty cool item to make for folks who wanted to "play" and build a V8 Tractor...
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 7:05pm

VERY interesting subject,,,but don't think you're gonna get very many info returns,,I do know ole Shameless has a WD with a Chevy in line 6 with two (2) transmissions,,,,think they had to extend the frame a couple of feet to get all that into the frame,,,,
Before I found the 149 for my D14,,I had bought a very low hour D17 engine out of a Demo combine and tried to find someone here that had done that changeover before and finally found a guy that had a template for an adapter to hook it up to the D14 bellhousing,,,,alas,,I started on the rebuilding of the D15 II,,and then just rebuilt the 149 and got the D14 going. But I will some day do that as a project just to say I did it,,,,,LOL
I would almost bet real money several of the Pulling boys have done that exact swap,,,but you can't prove it by me,,,,, Looks like a match made just for the D series and cannot figure somebody not making those adapters for sale here,,,,, GOOD,,GOOD Luck on your search,,,
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 7:51pm
Long ago an uncle of mine put a V-8 car engine into a tractor needing and engine that he used to run a saw mill with a belt drive. It worked but with the lower speed of the tractor he had a problem of it overheating probably from not enough water flow from the water pump(s) or the fan on the radiator or too small a radiator. Even then car engines (probably early 50s) were made to run faster at full power than tractor engines.

Gerald J.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 8:03pm
the frame was not stretched any!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 9:48pm

the frame was not stretched any!
    I KNEW that would wake you up from your nap,,,,, I remember you said it was a Chevy 6 but you never did say if inline or V6,,,,? I just never could picture it having TWO transmissions or figure what their reasoning was for doin it that way,,,,,with you NOT wantin to use a camera,,,guess somebody is goin to have to travel up there and get a pic of that "mystery Tractor",,,SAY,,,,did you ever use it on the farm,,???,,,,HEY!!!! reckon why ole Les ain't wantin to bail us curious peoples out and just go on over to your place,,,it just across that little ole river,,,and get us some pics of you,,,er,,,your tractor,,,,
Ya wannna go get some coffee,,,????
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 10:38pm
Les has seen it, so has Dpower and Orange Blood and a few others!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 10:12am

Shameless!!!!!,,,I would NEVER dream of doubtin your word,,,cause bein as we good buddies,,,I gotta take yore word as gospel,,,well,,,,,maybe better back up a little,,,that's getting a little deep and we don't wanna go that deep,,,just I do believe you,,,,,,,I just wanna see it with these eyes and I would rather see it in person to see what and how they did the modify'in and then,,,,,,WAIT,,,Shameless,,,,!!!!!! you just might have give me an idea on how to make a nice pile of MONEY,,,MONEY,,,like in,,,,you're gonna have to dig more holes behind them barns ,,,,,,and since it MY idea,,,I just as well use MY backhoe and dig my own MONEY holes too,,,,cause we gonna NEED TO,,,, whew,,,!!! I'm getting out of breath thinkin bout the possibilities here,,,You GOT to bring thet tractor down here quick as you can,,,so's I can do some searchin and lookin and measuring and well,,I better not let the goose out the bag just yet but you ketch my drift,,????
Better go make sure ole Hungry is on the job and nobody carries off my backhoe,,,,,,,,

Edited by desertjoe - 19 May 2016 at 10:16am
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 11:57am
me thunks...I already knows what yer thunking! and since it'll be MY proto-type...it's gonna costs YOU! me also thunks I needs to gits that thing goin agin!
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 11:59am
oh...and maybe puts that PS off that WD on this one?
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 12:00pm
be back later...Gunsmoke is on now!
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 5:35pm
Joe you can go up there to "help get it running again" Shameless won't notice all the measurements and drawings are not needed. Also you would have to disassemble it some to install that power steering you never know just what might have to come off to put that on.... lol
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 5:42pm
http://leamantractorparts.com/cumminsintofarmallinternationalihadapter4bt6btzoomenlargeclicktoscrollupclicktoscrolldownsellonelike.aspx
You could call the place above they build kits to put a cummins into a farmall I am sure they would be happy to look into an ac. I keep looking at that because I would love to make a farmall h air cooled diesel. I am toying with the idea of a hatz z790 diesel for my h I think it would be about the same power as the h had stock and alot better on fuel. My h motor could be saved but it needs a complete overhaul and I really would like a diesel.   I know people on here pointed out that I could get an ih diesel but those are not overly common here and the ones I have seen are in tractors much nicer than my h so I would just end up with a different tractor that way. Oh well I have a year to think on it too much else to fix right now.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 6:13am
Dan, thanks for the lead on the adapter plates. I'll havta' e-mail these guys and see if they offer anything.
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 8:05am

Hey Steve,,,you be sure and let us others know what you find out bout what adapters they offer,,,,I STILL would love to put a D17 in a D series,,,and ole Corbin would just love you to dea,,er,,,he'd like you forever,,,!!!
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 8:37am
Joe you should call as well you know what they say about supply and demand.   Two calls will get twice the intrest one will.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 8:40am
Oh the other thing I liked about the deutz motors is that I am pretty sure all the 912 serries have the same bellhousing setup so one plate design would give a large range of hp options. Someday I will have one of them in something here just not anytime soon.

Edited by Dan73 - 20 May 2016 at 8:41am
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 8:57am

You're right ,,,Dan,,I'm gonna call em too,,!!!
Hey Corbin,,,Ya listenin,,,?? get your phone busy,,,!!!
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 9:03am
Joe you could just go buy a nice milling machine and go into business.   I know you got that lathe going there a milling machine would look nice in the shop beside it....
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 6:51am
Actually if somebody's done the chevy conversion to a D14, I'd like to talk to em. 
I got a buddy with a machine shop, or I can call on an adapter....
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 8:35am

Well,,I've sent leamans two (2) emails and STILL no response,,,so,,they not interested either,,,,,,
Hey Corbin,,,Go back and re-read the first sentence of my first post,,,,,, and,,,,,well,,,ahem,,,,er,,,,,,,,
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 8:46am
https://www.dieselconversion.com
Joe I stumbled across the sight above the other day it is all about putting a diesel into a gas pickup but maybe they would be interested in other conversions. I keep thinking about my farmall h if some of the things I have going right now work out that might be on the winter project list. Not sure but there is an onan air cooled 4 cylinder diesel which is 140 ci. I think it would be a good match for my h and I might be able to pick one up cheaper then k can fix my h motor. Of course the conversion kit will still cost but the diesel will burn 1 gallon an hour where the gas farmall h motor will burn 2.5 gallons an hour so that will pay back over time. Plus I love air cooled diesel motors remove the coolant that freezes and remove the electrical system that gives you trouble those motors are a good example of the kiss approach if you ask me.
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 8:54am
yeah I was hopin that I wouldn't have to tear my hair out engineering this thing. I think I'll just find another D engine and be done with it. What's really sad is that someone had rebuilt this one and done such a poor job that it probably didn't run much as it still has paint pen marker on the front of the crankshaft showing the rod and main undersizes.  The main caps were shimmed with what looks like beer can. Of course you don't shim a D14 engine according to what I've read.

Edited by corbinstein - 01 Jun 2016 at 8:55am
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 9:00am
A donner motor from another tractor is your best bet if you want to use it much. Keep in mind that if you swap the motor you need to put in a motor with the same or close rpm rating. Most of those v8 swaps either go to fast to run or the motor spins so slow it doesn't build much power and has trouble with too little coolant flow. I have heard a few time people say that you can't take one of the v 8 motor swaps out in a field and run it all day more of a looks cool fun project.   I am sure you spend tons of money swapping a different motor in to something.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 2:36pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:08am
Joe,
Didn't git' anywhere's wit' dem' either....
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:17am
There are a lot of OTR truck engines that are designed to run down in the 1500 RPM range. Fitting it might be another issue. They are not exactly small blocks.

Originally posted by Dan73 Dan73 wrote:

A donner motor from another tractor is your best bet if you want to use it much. Keep in mind that if you swap the motor you need to put in a motor with the same or close rpm rating. Most of those v8 swaps either go to fast to run or the motor spins so slow it doesn't build much power and has trouble with too little coolant flow. I have heard a few time people say that you can't take one of the v 8 motor swaps out in a field and run it all day more of a looks cool fun project.   I am sure you spend tons of money swapping a different motor in to something.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:45am

First of all,,,I ain't wantin to start a ruckuss, here but I must be missin something,,,,,
To use one of the most popular clichés of our times,,,"What difference does it make",?,,,whether an engine's power curve is at 1200-1500 RPM or at 3500-4500 RPM,,,?? I was always more interested in the highest HP and Torque available at 8500-9000 RPM in a racing engine, so I never paid much attention to what those numbers were at,,say,,3000-4500. But I'm bettin a healthy SBC of about 350 CI would far surpass an AC 149 in both HP and torque at those respective RPM ranges,,,,so, back to mrs clin,,er,,,"what difference does it make" ?
Like several people here ask,,, including myself,,when they have a tractor with a bad engine and they got a good SBC sittin in that old trk or car behind the barn,,,then "WHY Not " give it a shot?   
I am very surprised an enterprising young man has not undertaken something like this and start makin and sellin the adapters for this very same project cause all SBC's from the 265 to the 400 have the same bolt pattern at the bellhousing,,,so the possibilities are endless and MONEY is KING in my book,,,,, same for using the D17 4 banger in the D series tractors, which I feel is a match made for tractor pullin,,,or hookin a 8 Btm behind it,,,,,
This is a VERY interesting subject as it started only 18 days ago,,,and already got 1165 "looks",,, lots of people wantin to know more,,,???

Edited by desertjoe - 02 Jun 2016 at 9:56am
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:52am
Joe the water pump on a small block chevy won't wont have enough coolant flow if you run them down 500 rpm to 1600 rpm. Then the motor overheats.   If you run them fast enough to get good coolant flow the pto speed and ground speed are way off. Good way to have equipment break is running a 540 pto at 1000 been there seen that with a tractor that would let you change the pto speed without changing the shaft. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Atleast I have been told the water pump on a small block won't make enough flow at low speeds.

Edited by Dan73 - 02 Jun 2016 at 9:53am
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Dan73 Dan73 wrote:

Joe the water pump on a small block chevy won't wont have enough coolant flow if you run them down 500 rpm to 1600 rpm. Then the motor overheats.   If you run them fast enough to get good coolant flow the pto speed and ground speed are way off. Good way to have equipment break is running a 540 pto at 1000 been there seen that with a tractor that would let you change the pto speed without changing the shaft. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Atleast I have been told the water pump on a small block won't make enough flow at low speeds.

You could always get an electric water circulator that goes in the radiator hose to increase the flow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic