This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model B rear lug bolt question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckeyeag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model B rear lug bolt question
    Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 9:07am
I recently acquired a B and it has two broken rear lug bolts.  I have two questions. Are replacements available and how do I remove the broken bolts?  It looks like they are splined and have been pressed in.  Can I drive them out, or will I need to remove the whole hub and press them out, or would I be better off looking for two new hubs with the all the lug bolts intact?
Thanks
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 9:11am
A press would be ideal, but I have driven out lugs before with a big hammer. It would help shock them loose if you have something heavy behind the hub when you smack the lug.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 10:10am
Which lug bolts would be pressed in? Was that an option? Mine has the standard set of 4 bolts that are not pressed. 
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Hartland Farm View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartland Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 10:18am
Buckey must have a B with the wide adjustable front end. They came with the 5 lug rear rear axle like a C but I think that I tryed to replace a lug on one of my C's and I didn't have room to get a new one in. I don't remember but it may be the B that has clearance. I would use a brass hammer.
Joe (TN) 

buckeyeag View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckeyeag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 11:32am
It is adjustable wide front with 5 bolt hubs.  Are these hubs interchangable with a C?  I though I had heard that the B, C, and CA all had different hubs, but I did not realize that the adjustable tread B hubs were different from the wishbone B hubs.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 11:47am
My wishbone has eccentric bolts to hold the rim on to the hub. You have several tread widths depending on how you place the holding bar.

Anyone got a picture of the 5 bolt hub? 
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 2:45pm
Charlie, He is talking about the 5 lugs that hold the wheel center to the axle hub as on this C.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 09 Dec 2010 at 2:45pm
Brad MI View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 4:06pm
That's correct, the C axle is not the same as the B flanged axle. 
1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 5:32pm
I thought the flanged axel on the b & c were the same , but according to my parts book, they have different part #'s . Don't know what the difference is. the large reduction gear has a different # of teeth. they might be splined different for for the large gear?
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 7:15pm
Used  punch near the size  of bolt  and hit real solid with 21/2 lb hammer brought mine out. Three pr four good licks.
buckeyeag View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckeyeag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 7:33am
Thanks for the help.  Are there any parts suppliers that sell the lug bolts? Also, I may have access to a parts C, are they the same bolts?
1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 8:20am
according to my parts book the stud bolts to hold the wheel centers on are the same on b & C
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 9:41am
Studs could probably be found at ,Fastenal or rob them from a parts B or C. It looks like the broken ones will come out OK with the axle on the tractor but putting new full length ones in might require removing the axle from the final drive????
Brad MI View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 9:53am
The axles are different, the studs are the same. The two axles on the left are B axles, the axle on the right is a C axle. You should be able to press the studs out of a parts C and use them on your B.

Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 11:24am
You know, Even I an old Allis Chalmer's dealer's son cannot believe the information that is available on this site.  Believe it or not we never had a problem with this.
It is good to see you all taking such good care of my favorate.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic