This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traded the Gleaner A85 off this weekend

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traded the Gleaner A85 off this weekend
    Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 11:17pm
Been gone all weekend to St.Louis for the state (of ILL) Farm Bureau convention. Missed alot of good disscusions on Agco,and Gleaner combines.  Traded the Gleaner off Friday before I left town.......
                                            IG
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
Sponsored Links

Sandknob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 11:25pm
Talked to Keith Matson the other day and he said they were headed down there too.  Sorry to see the A85 go, but definately can understand your frustration.  Like others on here have mentioned AC itself died 25 years ago, and no matter how much wishing it would return I'm sorry to say it won't.  Closest thing would be all of us pooling together to purchase the name/rights and going from there.  Chances of that happening are slim to none (monetary wise mainly).  Anyway let Richenhagen sleep in the bed he's made.

Adam

By the way I still have those planter units if you are interested.
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 11:51pm
Teaser!.......on what?
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 12:11am
and to whom?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 6:00am
That was prolly a good business decision , I do believe Gleaner combines are heading to the chopping block - just wait and see - remember the - LONG LIVE THE FAMILY FARM AGCO TRACTOR  BS !!!  I believe AGCO,S  trying to get themselves out of NA markets and fast , they will try to turn it on us saying no demand , no use to have dealers, parts , etc , what a joke the leaders of AGCO and that company has become ; Too bad , as nothing last forever
ScottinSWIL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottinSWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 6:54am
For a A86?
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 8:02am
Will you be changing your name now? I am pretty sure the Illinois part will remain the same, but if I understand correctly the Gleaner part was becoming negotiable.
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 8:02am
John - you were in town and you didn't even call me so I could buy you lunch!!!! Are you cheating on me!!!  LOL!  Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 1:08pm
One of his "old" AGCO(orange) tractors is on the green lot in town but didn't see anything silver around when I went through this morning.He once said green didn't want to trade for silver.Their advice was to peddle it then come talk.It wasn't anywhere to be seen at the Case dealer either.....but he's not known for choosing the CLOSEST dealer.
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 6:56pm
For a new A86. Couldnt afford the green paint, red guy didnt even have the guts to call me back. I could trade for a new silver class 8 ,cheaper then a used (185hrs) class 7 deere,with no warranty. Hard to be that stubburn!!!
                                                 IG
cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 7:05pm
All is well in the world. Or at least in crawford county.
BLee Mn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLee Mn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 8:26pm
and i thought we would call you ILGREENER,   hehe,  i took my __ kicking on trading up to green earier this fall. was a sad day indeed, eating a lot of crow this winter
Cowboy UP
TobeMo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TobeMo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 8:26pm
At least you won't have to change your title.  Tobe
nowversatile View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowversatile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 8:46pm
Congratulations IG, I was beginning to get worried about the silver line. After reading about the R66 that jumped I was hoping it wouldn't get too lonely!
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 8:57pm
It should be like this but AGCO is gone and Gleaner will be next.
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
BLee Mn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLee Mn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 9:02pm
yeah thats for sure, One of the best lookin and meanest tractors out there, Just dont have the sex appeal in crap red though. BIG mistake!!! one of the reasons i went Green
Cowboy UP
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 9:12pm

Blee there would have been one of those right beside it,until they dropped them,now its a green one,and a red one(Versitile red)  Man how do you sleep at night.................LOL

IG
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 9:46pm
The new dog Sisu powered?
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by AllisChalmers37 AllisChalmers37 wrote:

It should be like this but AGCO is gone and Gleaner will be next.
Yep. Richenhagen shattered that dream for many of us. His short sighted plan sure has hurt AGCO's status in the USA. They should be "flying high" with a recent tractor introduction and the newly introduced Super series Gleaners, but Marty has taken the gloss and excitement away from them both.
I am sure this has been a difficult decision for you, ILGleaner. If you feel like I do, you are torn between wanting to wash your hands entirely of anything AGCO, or staying with what has been proven to work for you. I can understand giving the Gleaner another chance, but there is no way I will accept massey tractors.
If the same effort would have been expended on the orange line that the challenger line has had, our orange brand wouldn't have withered on the vine. They made a very poor choice when they chose yellow as their favorite. 
Good luck with the  new machine. 

Edited by redline - 07 Dec 2010 at 9:54pm
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 9:57pm
Redline people will never know the feelings that people like you and me have. Very few are affected the way we are. I knew where my heart was the whole time,but I also know how great it would have felt to,say I washed my hands completely of them,and kiss my ass goodbye. But it really sucks knowing there will never be another new orange tractor on this farm after years and years,of them.
                                              IG
Spud View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 10:23pm
I am just curious, how does the A86 compare to the super 7?  This question is from a guy that milked cows and never ran a combine in his life.
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 10:42pm
Spud,
 I looked at the super 7 ,was really hoping that it would be something to compete against my Class 8. Would have loved to go back to the natrual flow. But from what I saw of it, Its no where close to the 86. But thats only from my observations. Its  R76 with a bigger rotor, alittle more power,and the same size sieve. Its not a class 8
                                                    IG
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 10:59pm
The loss of the orange tractor is truely a shame, but with us at the dealership are coming to terms with it as best as possible.  I understand that Massey is a very large global name but this is the USA, they should market their tractors according to country and not global.  They should have went to one brand in the USA, AGCO and offer it a orange red or yellow color.  To please the masses have the parent brand follow such as AGCO-Massey Ferguson, AGCO-Challenger and finally just plain AGCO.  Keep all of the model numbers the same, then all the difference would be paint and decals.  But common sense isn't that common anymore.  Everyone can see that the paint and decal scheme of the DTB series is far superior to the other brands, but your not going to tell the big wigs that!

As far as the Gleaners, if they were planning on dumping the line we would not have even seen the 5 series come out.  In just a few years we have gone from the 2s to the 5s, then 6s and now they are on the 7s.  However, I would not be surprised to see the Massey name on the transverse Gleaners in the near future.

I can understand people switching brands for product, service etc.  But after working at an AGCO-New Holland dealer for over ten years I will never own something green that has been built in the last 50 years, for many many reasons.

Jim

JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 11:00pm
Forgot one thing.  Congrats on your new combine ILGleaner!  
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 11:05pm
Jim, I agree with you on alot of what you said. The only thing,if you think they wouldnt drop gleaner after this. Remember long live the family farm.....new orange tractors...........BAM!!!!!!  Gone.  Never say never. Why would you say you would never own an american made green tractor???  Just wandering.
                                                   IG
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 11:39pm
ILGleaner, its hard to describe I guess.  First off were in a region where there is still alot of dealerships around, but one guy owns all of the Deere stores for miles and Deere is pushing for that.  I'm sure it will happen to all the brands eventually but I'm rearranging chairs on the sinking ship that is the independent dealership.  The thing that really gets me with the multiple store thing(in our area) farmers cannot go and buy at what store they want, they have to go to the store that is their district.  I know several farmers that worked with certain stores and salesman, but when this came into effect they were told they had to do business at another store because of the whole "district" or "zone" thing.  I guess I'm not going to let someone tell me where I can and cannot do business.  The dealers reason for doing this is because farmers were pricing at several stores and the salesman were basically competing with each other.  I would just think communication among stores would have been a better option. 

Another reason is I went to a local community college for a farm implement mechanics course.  It was a great program, you were taught the fundamentals of all brands of products.  There was also a John Deere sponsored course at the same school.  A few years ago they dropped the all-brands course and kept the Deere program due to larger class sizes.  There are alot of things that bother me about the course, first off you have to take preliminary tests to get into the program, meaning you have decent book smarts.  Many of the mechanics that I know that took the regular program wouldnt have made it past these tests but are wonderful mechanics just the same, I'm sure better ones than some of the guys that come out of the Deere program.   Another thing that gets me is Deere provides training for the instructors and machinery for the students to work on.  In the other program local dealers and other machinery brands provided training and equipment just the same and didnt get their name on the program.  Also this is a tax funded school.  Funding for the instructors wages, office suppies, facility and etc either comes from tuition aor tax funding.  When you drive by a tax funded "community college" and see a John Deere dealer sign hanging on the building it puts a sour taste in your mouth.  Basically cheap advertising for Deere.

I also feel that the respect that we have amongst the A-C community doesnt pass along amongst the green.  That is probably more my bias opinion, but atleast I admit it! lol

Hope I'm not stepping on toes, but thats a few of my opinions.
Like I said, I understand people switching colors, I'm just not a next generation green guy.  I think my B two putter is as far as it will go for me! lol

Jim
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 11:55pm
Thanks for the explanation. The key to what you explained is money talks and bullsh*t walks. Our  local comm. college also has the deere program. If you complete the course they will get you on with deere. believe you me,I am not disagreeing with you. But its something that has been forced on me,and will only make deere bigger. And why would you have one of those oilfield motor tractors if your an AC man,I cant even stand to hear those things run....LOL
                                                IG
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 6:01am
Originally posted by JimIA JimIA wrote:

ILGleaner, its hard to describe I guess.  First off were in a region where there is still alot of dealerships around, but one guy owns all of the Deere stores for miles and Deere is pushing for that.  I'm sure it will happen to all the brands eventually but I'm rearranging chairs on the sinking ship that is the independent dealership.  The thing that really gets me with the multiple store thing(in our area) farmers cannot go and buy at what store they want, they have to go to the store that is their district.  I know several farmers that worked with certain stores and salesman, but when this came into effect they were told they had to do business at another store because of the whole "district" or "zone" thing.  I guess I'm not going to let someone tell me where I can and cannot do business.  The dealers reason for doing this is because farmers were pricing at several stores and the salesman were basically competing with each other.  I would just think communication among stores would have been a better option. 

Another reason is I went to a local community college for a farm implement mechanics course.  It was a great program, you were taught the fundamentals of all brands of products.  There was also a John Deere sponsored course at the same school.  A few years ago they dropped the all-brands course and kept the Deere program due to larger class sizes.  There are alot of things that bother me about the course, first off you have to take preliminary tests to get into the program, meaning you have decent book smarts.  Many of the mechanics that I know that took the regular program wouldnt have made it past these tests but are wonderful mechanics just the same, I'm sure better ones than some of the guys that come out of the Deere program.   Another thing that gets me is Deere provides training for the instructors and machinery for the students to work on.  In the other program local dealers and other machinery brands provided training and equipment just the same and didnt get their name on the program.  Also this is a tax funded school.  Funding for the instructors wages, office suppies, facility and etc either comes from tuition aor tax funding.  When you drive by a tax funded "community college" and see a John Deere dealer sign hanging on the building it puts a sour taste in your mouth.  Basically cheap advertising for Deere.

I also feel that the respect that we have amongst the A-C community doesnt pass along amongst the green.  That is probably more my bias opinion, but atleast I admit it! lol

Like I said, I understand people switching colors, I'm just not a next generation green guy.  I think my B two putter is as far as it will go for me! lol

Jim

When I went to the tech school in Austin, it wasn't a Deere program but Deere was involved in the state and national contests, a couple Deere reps would come by at least once each year. These reps told us how it was a long term goal that there would only be one dealer per state. The farmer would have to have their own certified mechanics in order to have warranty work done and would have to have their own parts department. The rep also told us once that they purposefully made things difficult to work on so the independent shops wouldn't be able to compete for all the new special tools and computer equipment that would be needed in the future. He didn't say it was because it would make the tractor better but it was to eliminate the independent dealer and so-called shade tree mechanics. He explicitly made it clear that they wanted the farmers hands out of fixing their own equipment. I didn't like Deere before and those talks from Deere didn't change my mind any. This was back in 1991-92.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
nowversatile View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowversatile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:02am
Originally posted by JimIA JimIA wrote:

Jim
As frustrating as it is with Deere getting into the community colleges with the diesel programs, you must hand them credit. AC, Case and AGCO had the same opportunity and passed. When you look at Deere and how they market and take care of people, it simply amazes me. I have a few pieces of Deere equipment including a notill drill and on a recent trip to a large Deere conglomerate dealership to pick up parts, I my two sons with me. When I was at the parts counter they, as typical farm boys found their way to the toy section. Just as I was ready to leave, the facility manager came out and told my two boys to pick out two toys on a complimentary basis. Considering the money spent at AGCO dealers, the most I have ever received is a cap. This is marketing 101, brilliant marketing. What does AGCO corporate do? In addition to not having a clue how to market and take care of its customers, it tells us as customers we don't give a crap about you!

If you are right about the resale killing triple triangle on a Gleaner, their sales will follow what AGCO's tractor sales are currently doing in the US - crashing! I think there might be a little more thought going into the Gleaner program now however, after getting their proverbial a**'s handed to them on the tractor front. Gleaner is carrying NA.
benk8680 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benk8680 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:04am
The problem is deere will subsidise the pay of the "greenhorns" so the dealers just use them for cheap help and then throw them away when the next batch comes along! kinda like the state payin for you to hire ex-prisoners!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic