This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wd starter doesn't engage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimwithag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wd starter doesn't engage
    Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 9:50am
Starter was working a ok, then all the sudden, the next time I went to start the WD, I could hear it spinning, but doesn't engage.  I took off started, dah, now what.  It's a 12v conversion.  Thanks, Jim
Jim Cridge
Sponsored Links

Good View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 10:27am

Take the nose cone off and it's most likely the torque spring broke or one of the bolts came uscrewed. I've had it happen on a couple tractors of mine. Take the old one with you because they are wound two different ways I get mine at napa for like $14.00.

B212,716,two 314H's,WC,WD,D19,190XT
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 1:18pm
Are the teeth missing on the flywheel ring gear where the starter would contact it? The engine will stop in 2 places and these two spots get worn down.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 1:40pm
the bendix spring is broken
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 7:54pm
I agree that the spring is broken on the starter drive if it spins and doesn't make any grinding noise. That has happened to me several times.
You can braze it back together in a pinch till you get a new spring. I have had it last for a couple of years before it broke again. I keep an extra spring on hand.
check your #'s when you order them because as stated before, they can be wound the wrong way.
Chris (swIA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris (swIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 7:57pm
Yep. Spring or bolt holding it is broken. Have done both.
jimwithag View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimwithag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 4:10pm
Thanks for the replies
Jim Cridge
irlbeck A-C'S View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irlbeck A-C'S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 8:47pm
Just happened to me Sunday on my WD.Took the starter apart and the bendix was broken in two places. Pretty easy fix.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic