This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mystery stain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mystery stain
    Posted: 25 Oct 2024 at 11:32pm
Few years ago a stain appeared on top of baler.  Drove me crazy as to what or where it came from. Thought maybe was from the fall before when cleaning for winter storage, the one guy in our shop was spraying all kinds of soaps on it. But didn’t remember seeing it then. Or was it from the propionic acid. But stain is in very front on top. Never could figure it out.
Now this year we have a brand new mower and the same stain appears on that. And mower hasn’t been washed yet or near acid. But both has been covered with brand new tarps new out of package. If at fields away from home and chance of rain went a got new tarp to cover quick. The new tarps out of package must give off something that stains the paint. Only thing we can think of. 

Edited by Mikez - 25 Oct 2024 at 11:32pm
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 hours 19 minutes ago at 6:03am
If the tarps are “made in China” could very well be a chemical stain. We don’t know what is in things made over there. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
ekjdm14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekjdm14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 hours 48 minutes ago at 8:34am
Sadly I don't know of any other kind of new tarp than the "Made in PRC" kind.  Most likely something leaching out of new tarps like you say.

Any photos of the staining?  I'm wondering if it's Bromine used to keep plastic cheap things from going up in flames, would tend to leach out if it happened to be bright & sunny after covering with tarp.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 hours 42 minutes ago at 8:40am
That’s exactly what I’d say happened. Problem is these stores don’t carry good tarps anymore. We searched for long time.
ekjdm14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekjdm14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 hours 13 minutes ago at 9:09am
That's the big problem, stores don't carry quality any more. You could probably find something online from a smaller company, but the cheap throw-away mentality ensures it's not worth stores taking up shelf space for the odd one-off sales of more expensive stuff.

ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 hours 24 minutes ago at 10:58am
How about having a tarp made of the heavy material like is used on dump and grain trucks. Around here there is a shop than makes custom covers for boats, trailers and other things. Suppose there are shops like that in other areas. 
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 hours 16 minutes ago at 1:06pm
Yep. Clemons? Canvas comes to mind. I think they are still operating near where I work
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 hours 19 minutes ago at 4:03pm
Could also be Mr coon hopping up on the tarp, taking a whiz, and it leaking through the mesh of the tarp...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 24 minutes ago at 5:58pm
Get some heavy plastic like they use to cover bunker silos. I just had a friend save me a piece when they uncover there silage pile. He usually cuts it off on smaller pieces but he folded it back and saved me a bigger piece.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic