This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need to replace some old Craftsman sockets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need to replace some old Craftsman sockets
    Posted: 12 Aug 2024 at 6:52pm
Anyone know of anywhere that sells old craftsman sockets and wrenches?
I don’t have an eBay account but may have to get someone at work to get these for me.
Sponsored Links

Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2024 at 6:54pm
Garage sales, farm sales, flea markets and pawn shops.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2024 at 8:57pm

Hey Thad,,I expect you  can prolly find which sockets you need to replace on The Marketplace,,,, I just looked and there are MANY different sizes and most likely American made,,,,
Don Jr NY View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Jr NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 5:18am
Do you have any LOWE'S stores in your area? They now own craftsman tools and they still have a lifetime warranty. Just take your old broken ones there and they exchange them free. I have taken some broken sockets and ratchets in that were 30 years old and they exchanged them no questions asked.  HTH.  Don Jr.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 5:57am
Originally posted by Don Jr NY Don Jr NY wrote:

Do you have any LOWE'S stores in your area? They now own craftsman tools and they still have a lifetime warranty. Just take your old broken ones there and they exchange them free. I have taken some broken sockets and ratchets in that were 30 years old and they exchanged them no questions asked.  HTH.  Don Jr.

Went in last night.
They differ some from the older sockets. I’m looking to make a set as near to original as possible.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 6:26am

Well,,Crud,,,! I did not know Craftsman was still alive and their tools still covered with their (Lowes) warranty. I had to replace a 1/4" ratchet that was stripped  and caused me many bruised knuckles  before I stopped using it. (might still be in the big tool box,,,)
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 6:30am
Hay DJ YOUR ratchet is sitting IN the top of my right tool box !
Just checked RONA+ ( was Lowes here) and they're $30 CDN...
next time I go to town, I'll toss in in the truck and see IF I get a new one for free !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 7:15am

Well, years ago when I got hired at first job after getting married,,the Boss man insisted we buy a complete set of Craftsman tools. He would sign for them and you paid him out of your check every payday. I did ruin the 3/8" ratchet when beating on the back,,and the little release button popped off,,,,, When Ernie noticed it,,he made me take it back to get a new replacement,,,and it was a matter of laying the ratchet on table and the guy went to back room and brought me a Brand New tool without any questions,,,didn't even ask where the little button might be,,,,WinkWink

UMMmmm,,,Jay,,,did I send you my favorite 3/8" ratchet,,,,?WinkWink

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 7:42am
no, but I've got TWO brand new  1/2" ones here.
Took bad one to store, got new one, and guy let me keep bad one (weird...oh well..), then week later took to other store, got a new one but,sniff,sniff THAT guy kept the bad one...
I very seldom use 1/2" stuff these dayze.......

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 7:47am

Jay!,,Jay!,,,Jay!!!,,,you are getting to be just like ole Joe,,,,LOLLOL But I call that just being "Thrifty" Ya Know,,,??Clap
  I also remember ole Shameless calling me others but ,,,,Thrifty will suffice,,,,LOL

Edited by desertjoe - 13 Aug 2024 at 7:49am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 7:50am
hay DJ, is the sun UP where you are ???

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 12:00pm
Never been a fan of Craftsman ratchets.
I have an SK that’s been rebuilt a few times over the years. It’s my favorite 1/2” drive and I have a Proto 3/8” drive that’s my favorite 3/8” drive ratchet .
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 5:04pm

I'm kinda like ole Jay,,,I hardly ever use the 1/2" ratchet and it is a Proto. I must have at least four or five  3/8" ratchets most are no names from Harbor freight,,,except the one CRAFTSMAN  WHICH IS A good ONE,,!! I do have a no name that my brother gave me years ago that is 1/2" on one side and 3/8" on the other and very heavy by weight. I used it on everything until The pin that switches from on to off came loose and  and I tried to machine a new pin on my lathe but it too small for my lathe,,,,,????
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 5:27pm
I have my father's Snap-On 1/2", it's 65+ years old !,  has new 'guts'...free of course.

I found a 24" 'Johnson' bar. Old was rusty,busted...looked at the name ,turns out 'A' was bought out by 'B' then bought out by 'Proto' ,so silly me, asked Proto if they would back the 'lifetime' warranty of "A" ? I got a reply 2hrs later, gal said choose 'link a or link b' as to closest bar. I said 'b' and 3 days later DHL drops off a brand new bar !!!!! I've used it twice to do rear tire swaps on the D-14.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 5:45pm
I was traveling down to Van Buren to visit my mom last weekend. Her nursing home was destroyed in the Rogers tornado.
On the way down I stopped at a junk store.
I bought one of those older 450??? Piece mechanics tool sets. Comes in the plastic box with 3 drawers.
All the wrenches are there but a 1/2”
And missing a few sockets.
Mostly small 1/4” drive sockets missing.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 9:48pm
LOWE's. Someone posted on another site they'd gone there and got a broken ugly old screwdriver replaced under the "lifetime warranty". 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 11:35pm
Also try "Fleet Farm" if you have a nearby store. Just read an online ad from them and it listed Craftsman Tools. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2024 at 5:04am
For anyone that needs to replace anything, Ace hardware also sells Craftsman.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2024 at 5:46am

Dang,,,Good Buddy,,you sure up EARLY this morn'ing,,,,,I'm still on my first cup of Joe,,,Trying to decide which project to start on,,,It been so friggin HOT,,,,!!
 Which sockets are you on the hunt for,,,?? I went by a garage sale last week and the dude had one of them plastic totes about half full of sockets and I went thru half of his stash and found 4 10mm in 1/4",,, There is some AH that jumps the fence just to carry off my tools and I always got to replace them 10 mm,,,,,LOL 
 How is your Mom doing?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2024 at 6:39am
Mom seems happy. She still thinks I’m the one that went through the tornado.
I need
1/4” drive
3/16” shallow 6 point
9/32 shallow 12 point
5/16 shallow 6 point
3/8 drive
7mm shallow 12 point
13/16 shallow 6 point
1/2” drive
12mm shallow 12 point
13 mm shallow 12 point
1/2” shallow 12 point
9/15 shallow 12 point

1/2” combination wrench 12 point letter VA

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2024 at 9:30pm
I’ll bet ole Joe’s laughing now.
He told me to look on market place for the missing sockets.
So I found an ole boy selling sockets.
I go to the city for a visit. He doesn’t have any of the sockets in need but but but he did have a nice half in drive set of SK sockets, 3 extensions, a swivel, a nice breaker bar and a very nice ratchet.
I bought them for what I would have given for just the ratchet.
3/8-1 1/4 all matched set.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2024 at 10:10pm
DAYUM Thad, you did the BEST deal of the year!!
I've got a bunch of SK sockets that are missing out of my set.  My son says he never used em.......

Do you still want Craftsman sockets?  I've gotten a bunch at auctions the last couple of years and I can look if I have any of the ones you named.

By the way, my SK set had 64th sockets.  I sure miss some of them!!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 4:49am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

DAYUM Thad, you did the BEST deal of the year!!
I've got a bunch of SK sockets that are missing out of my set.  My son says he never used em.......

Do you still want Craftsman sockets?  I've gotten a bunch at auctions the last couple of years and I can look if I have any of the ones you named.

By the way, my SK set had 64th sockets.  I sure miss some of them!!!

Yes Ted but I need to make a new list. I’ve found a couple and some were in the wrong spot.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 5:07am
1/4” drive
   5/16 short 6 point
   1/4” short 6 point
   3/16 short 6point

3/8 drive
   13/16 short 6 point
6mm short 6 point

1/2” drive
    1/2 short 12 point
   9/15 short 12 point
13mm short 12 point
14mm short 12 point

Edited by Thad in AR. - 16 Aug 2024 at 5:59pm
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 6:29am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Yes Ted but I need to make a new list. I’ve found a couple and some were in the wrong spot.

If you're anything like me, as soon as you replace them, you will start finding the missing ones. 
Among other places, I am always leaving sockets in my pocket and my wife picks them out of the washer. 
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 8:40am
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

If you're anything like me, as soon as you replace them, you will start finding the missing ones. 
Among other places, I am always leaving sockets in my pocket and my wife picks them out of the washer. 

That sounds familiar
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 11:39am
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

I must be somewhat like you, my wife finds sockets and drivers and all sorts of hardware in the laundry
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 10:40am
I have NO need for any 12 point sockets.  Why do they sell them???  I've not seen too many 12 point nuts (besides maybe A/N).  They strip the nut/bolt too easy...  I still have some, but replace them with 6 point whenever possible.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by GSTROM99 GSTROM99 wrote:

I have NO need for any 12 point sockets.  Why do they sell them???  I've not seen too many 12 point nuts (besides maybe A/N).  They strip the nut/bolt too easy...  I still have some, but replace them with 6 point whenever possible.
You work on enough old junk that has been farmer cobbled and other varus back yard up grades you will want a 12 pt. I cannot come up with a situation, but know I have had them. Yes I use 6 pt most times too. And maybe you never see a odd ball piece of junk, but I sure have. And been very happy I had 12 pt. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2024 at 7:01pm
Guys I found a guy with all these but one. He wants me to make an offer. I have no idea what to offer?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic