This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7010 Oil Leak at 3 pt Lift Arm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7010 Oil Leak at 3 pt Lift Arm
    Posted: 03 Aug 2024 at 11:38am
I have a very significant leak on the left lift arm where it connects to the lift arm housing.  Is it a bad o-ring?  Or is it something else?  According to the diagram, the O-ring is about all it can be?  I can't find any mention of this issue or fixing the issue in the 2 volume service manual I own.

Remove the snap ring, then try to push out on the lift arm?  Hate to pound too hard with a sledge hammer.  Apply heat?  Are there any tricks to remove those lift arms to replace the O-ring, if that is it?  They have been on there for 45 years.  Any help is appreciated.

Edited by calico190xt68 - 03 Aug 2024 at 11:39am
80 7010, 80 7020. 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
Sponsored Links

Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2024 at 1:12pm
Well,as usual, I've never seen anything that would even remotely be considered a significant leak in the lift arm shaft. There's no oil pressure involved. I suppose that during road work, where the ring gear is churning oil the fastest, it might leak there. I don't think that you can replace the o rings without talking the lift arm housing off. The internal lift cylinder would need to be removed so that the shaft can slide out.
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2024 at 1:54pm
It was noticed after driving about 18 miles. Never noticed it before. I assume it is hydraulic oil.    I will post a pic.
80 7010, 80 7020. 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2024 at 3:56pm
Like Lynn, I have never experienced this either. The tractor is 40+ years old. If it was my tractor, and the only time it did it was when driving a LONG road distance at full ground speed, it would never get fixed. For all the work it would take (removal of the lift arm housing and replacing two bushings and two O rings AFTER figuring out how to remove the rusted-in-place lift arms) it would simply be allowed to leak occasionally. If you had the hitch lowered when this happened, maybe raise the hitch fully the next time you road it and see if that helps. You have no idea how much work this could be, especially the lift arm removal part.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 8:02am

Here is the picture showing the oil running down the side of the lift housing. Seems to be very wet.  Maybe it isn't a significant leak.  I don't know yet how much I have lost.  I figured it would be a very big job to get those lift arms removed, so I am going to postpone and maybe never do it depending upon how much I am losing.  Thanks for the guidance and recommendations.

8070nc View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 9:36am
Out fo 4 8070s a 7045 and a 7040 ive never seen a drip from a rock shaft. I absolutely dont want to make some serious out of something simple but it makes me wonder if a lube oil tube for the differential broke and is spraying toward that side of the shaft
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 11:07am
Given that it seems to be quite rare, something else may be in play.  I am going to power wash it and see how much it is leaking. 
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2024 at 11:22am
I guess that many things are possible, but the odds of a lube line causing the leak would be even more rare than the oring failing. Plus,the oring shouldn't leak even if there was a lube line failure. If the oring is the problem and there was a lube line spraying oil towards it, it should leak at all times when running. If it only leaks while roading it, then it's probably the ring gear churning excess oil towards the rock shaft. It would be nice if it were just a remote hose leaking.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic