This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6 Volt Battery/Starter Diagnosis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 Volt Battery/Starter Diagnosis
    Posted: 29 May 2024 at 6:17pm
I purchased a new OReilly 6V battery.  It was the first one they've sold, they said, perhaps had been sitting on the shelf for awhile.  Anyway when I installed it I found it not charged sufficiently to turn the engine beyond the first compression stroke (i.e. it would do 1 but not 2).  I could let it rest for a second and it would do another rotation stopping just before the 2nd next compression stroke.  I put it on the charger to 100% and I got a really good spin maybe for 3-4 full revolutions like I would expect a new battery to be able to do.  Then it was seemingly dead again only able to move to the next compression stroke.  The engine was fairly easy to spin with the hand crank.  It's a freshly rebuilt engine and a tiny bit stiff, but not unusually so.  Charge the battery fully again, I get 3-4 full revolutions at full speed.  But it takes 20 minutes to fully charge (per the "automatic" charger).  

I'll also note that if I fully charged it, then disconnect the charger for say 20-30 seconds, the charge seems to start over and takes quite a long time (15-20 minutes) to get it back to 100%.  I've also seen where the charger seemingly restarted mid charge...it said it was at ~80% then suddenly indicated ~13%.  

So there are possibilities.  The cables are brand new Steiner-recommended.  There is a possibility that I need to clean off paint at the contact points (I already did that), but the behavior of getting a full speed spin just after a full recharge would seem to make that an unlikely cause (of course I will check it out before I jump to conclusions).  The starter is newly rebuilt.  It seems to be working very well, but I'll try measuring the resistance and the voltage drop when starting.  I wire brushed the starter mounting port and the tip of the hold bolt just before installing but I'll also check that again.

My number one theory is that the battery was probably sitting on the shelf in a partial state of charge for an extended period (since they indicated they had not sold one (the store isn't that old (2021 or 2022)).  It's probably sulfated.  The behavior reminds me of past failed (aged) batteries.  I've never had a new one behave this way though.

Other ideas?
1952 CA13092
Sponsored Links

acd17toy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acd17toy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2024 at 6:24pm

Take the battery back to the store and have them load test it.  From your post sounds  like the battery is bad.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2024 at 6:47pm
The Battery is sulfated from sitting so long. That's the problem with 6V Batteries today. They're not popular anymore. When they sit for long periods of time, the cell(s) can bridge and short out the Battery. Remember, a 6V Battery only has 3 cells, so if you loose one, you've lost quite a bit of the power in it. If you get another 6V to replace this one, always put a slooooow charge into it. Don't pump big amps in it to get it charged up. Its always better to put a real slow charge in it and let it build reserve. Once charged up and put into service, a good item to purchase is a Battery tender for a 6V Battery. This way the electrolite in the Battery stays "active" when the Tractor sits not being used, which in turn keeps the Battery from sulfating.  HTH.
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2024 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by acd17toy acd17toy wrote:

Take the battery back to the store and have them load test it.  From your post sounds  like the battery is bad.

We did a load test with a snap-on load tester.  Seemed ok, but I'm doubtful.
1952 CA13092
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2024 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by dfwallis dfwallis wrote:

Originally posted by acd17toy acd17toy wrote:

We did a load test with a snap-on load tester.  Seemed ok, but I'm doubtful.

I too am doubtful.
You already have a better load tester: just hook up the voltmeter to the battery while cranking. That's the load that matters.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 8:02am
have you done a draw test on the starter. If the battery passes a load test. and you have all new cables its likely the starter is not good take it in and oriels should be able to run a draw test on your starter. when the bushings get worn as the starter get a load on it the armature moves around in the field and it takes a lot more power. if the armature has bad spots in it it'll spin fine with no load but drag in use.
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

have you done a draw test on the starter. If the battery passes a load test. and you have all new cables its likely the starter is not good take it in and oriels should be able to run a draw test on your starter. when the bushings get worn as the starter get a load on it the armature moves around in the field and it takes a lot more power. if the armature has bad spots in it it'll spin fine with no load but drag in use.

It was not in bad shape before I took it to the starter/gen rebuild place but I had them recondition it.  It has new bearings, new gears, and was fully tested.  It seems to work perfectly when the battery is fully charged.  There does not appear to be any "bad spots".  It turns full revolutions with no hiccups.  It does not drag in use at all when the battery is fully charged.  It spins like a normal starter.  However, when I get back I will perform more tests.
1952 CA13092
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic