This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sickle section removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sickle section removal
    Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 4:36pm
I have been removing the old and worn out sickle sections from the bar on my new-to-me 82T mower.  I use the hand grinder to grind the head off one side of the rivet and then push the remainder out with my riveting too.  It has gone pretty well, but now I am where the drive connects to the bar.  I am wondering how to to remove the rivets in this area.  I do not want to mess up the drive with the grinder and I also do not want to carve up the underside of the sickle bar.  It looks like the rivets are original, you can tell they have been there a long time.

What has everyone else done to prevent damage?

'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Sponsored Links

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 5:21pm
Lay the blade on a anvil or heavy vise with the section vertical, bar solid against vise or anvil horizontal. Take a hammer and drive-shear the section off of bar. Wear eye protection. Done a bazillion over the years, no problem. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 6:28pm
I would just buy a new one with bolt on sections....
Makes replacing them a snap.

I have done what you are doing and it is time consuming and frustrating.
Also repairing riveted sections in the field is :(

Webb Cutting Components out of Nebraska.....
They are awesome. Been using them for years.

You will be MUCH MUCH
HAPPIER with bolt on sections ...

FYI: If you are intent on replacing all your sections.
Webb also has a kit to replace rivets with bolts.

I have also done that.
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 6:33pm
To answer you question on the THICK drive section. I drill them MOST of the way thru with smaller drill bit.
Then knock them out.

Edited by Macon Rounds - 14 Feb 2024 at 7:54am
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 7:12pm
I'd take an old cold chisel and grind it on one side only.  The bigger the chisel the better.  don't grind it real shallow, if you do, it won't shear the rivet right.  Put the lower bar section in a vise, and using a large hammer, shear the rivets off.  They are soft, whack 'em good and they pop right off.  Takes less time than a grinder!

Back in my prime, it was 1 lick per rivet...Tongue

Edited by DiyDave - 13 Feb 2024 at 7:15pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 7:23pm
I have a lever type sickle rivet tool that makes it a breeze to remove sections and re-rivet them. Yes you have to remove the knife from the machine, however the ease in which it works after that makes it a much better system than even the bolt on sections which can come loose along with the plus that your hands don't have to work in a confined space around the guards and sickle sections. I always carried a spare knife and could swap knives quicker than most could get the wrenches out to unbolt a section. I haven't used it in awhile since not haying any more and it buried in the barn or I go get a picture.

Edited by PaulB - 14 Feb 2024 at 3:14pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 7:38pm
If you ever used bolt on sections you will never go back to rivets...

With bolt on sections you don't have to remove the knife.

Remove one rock guard change the section and you are back in business...

Whether you broke a section or just have a dull one.
You can be back in business in 15 min.....

No agonizing over removing the knife and all that is involved in that.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 7:45pm
I changed over to the bolt from the rivets.. They give you a handful of LONG ONES to go on the first couple by the drive... I cut a LOT of TRASH and sticks/ small trees... Break 2-3 per season.. Bolts make it easy to switch them out as needed. .... Grinder works good for rivet removal.

Edited by steve(ill) - 13 Feb 2024 at 7:46pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 7:55pm
Good air chisel should work on the rivets. I did a few as a kid but dad did most of them. We used to grind them off.
dp7000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 8:13pm
I always did it the way Tracy said. Never had a problem.
Out in the field I put the blade on the front weights of the tractor using same technique. Used a broke section corner to drive spent rivets out.

Edited by dp7000 - 13 Feb 2024 at 8:16pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 8:53pm
Always used a big sharp chisel, rivets are soft.  Back in my prime, one whack per rivet, faster than a grinder...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 9:10pm
I’ve done it both ways, coal chisel and a 4 1/2” grinder. Chisel causes less damage but if your careful and patient the grinder does a good job. I switched to bolts also, easy and quick to change the sections. Also, no damage.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 9:31pm
I do similar to Tracy but use a bench vise with the section pointed down and about 1 turn from clamped o the section. Keeps things from getting it of hand when working alone
1963D17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1963D17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 10:42pm
Bench vise closed nearly tight. Hit the sections. Two people works best.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Macon Rounds Macon Rounds wrote:

I would just buy a new one with bolt on sections....
Makes replacing them a snap.

I have done what you are doing and it is time consuming and frustrating.
Also repairing riveted sections in the field is :(

Webb Cutting Components out of Nebraska.....
They are awesome. Been using them for years.

You will be MUCH MUCH
HAPPIER with bolt on sections ...

FYI: If you are intent on replacing all your sections.
Webb also has a kit to replace rivets with bolts.

I have also done that.

I already did buy the bolt on kit from Webb.  The fun part has been removing these rivets.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
8070nc View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 6:17pm
We got a brand new F2 in 1981 i think. I was running it and something knocked a section loose on the cutter bar. It had rivited sections. We didnt have any real tools back then so we would use a chisel to cut the heads off rivets. I put a pair of vise grips on the chisel. When I hit the chisel something said poof and the entire widshield of a brand new F2 was in the header. The whole thing. Needless to say my Dad was not impressed. None impressed
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 6:28pm
Think my grandfather had a benchtop tool for that called a"sickle servicer"
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2024 at 1:59pm
We carried a short section of RR track with out mowing lay it down set the spine of the sickle on the edge of the track points down and strike the section hard from the back the sevtion will shear the rivets right off. Poke the remaining part out with a pin punch.put the section back in put new rivets in lay on flat top of track and set with a rivet set and hammer only takes a couple minutes and your done. In the shop we used the big vice dont tighten on section need another person to hold the other end up
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2024 at 7:13pm
Is this tool? They work very if you want to use rivets. Was not sure they still made this with all the bolt on sections today. The knife is set to pop the sections off, the upper area is the rivet set.Sickle Servicer with Sickle Bar

Edited by Ray54 - 17 Feb 2024 at 7:15pm
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 7:04am
Yup but i think gramps had a red one
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 9:51am
Hammering on a rivet has a tendency to stretch the bar. The proper set tool would help but still be careful. Just using a hammer is where you get in trouble. I've seen some where you could slip a post card between 2 sections. That adds up downstream then your register goes to crap.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 8:30pm
Would you guys use one of those Johnson sickle servicers on the teeth that are sandwiched between the bar and the drive bracket?

I have one of those tools as well, but haven't tried to use it for teeth located under the drive bracket. I know it's the bees knees for the teeth that are riveted only to the bar, where you're only shearing the rivet between the tooth and the bar as you force the tooth off.

Will it shear the rivet at the top and bottom edge of the teeth, when they're under the drive bracket like that? With no damage to anything you want to keep?

I have been drilling that handful of drive bracket rivets out with my drill press but maybe I am being too cautious.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

Yup but i think gramps had a red one

The Johnsons at least used to be red. The ones I've picked up at auctions are. Interesting to see the new ones showing blue paint.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 12:42pm
The Johnson tool I used was red also. I can remember the spot we worked on 2, 18 foot Gleaner combine knifes. But other details not so much, other than out in the field and not much shade on a hot day. We would have used a chisel to cut the heads Winkor maybe left those section alone under the drive plate. As way before battery tools and generators being handy. But I also did a pair of knifes for my double knife New Holland swather. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic