This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8070 rod bolts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8070 rod bolts
    Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 3:22pm
Pullled the pan off the 8070 to put rod bearings in as per everyone's advice here. The hours are unverified but we figured it was time. Glad we did, rod bearings show wear, mains look very good. Rod journals are within .001 of spec. I remember a post about the rod bolts, should I replace them with the bearings? Also, after removing mains, can those bolts be reused? Plan to drop the pan on an 8050 and 7020 as well this winter.
Thanks all
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 5:17pm
Mains reuse bolts. Brgs look good reuse as well especially if top shell is absent the main jet slot. New AGCO rod bolts,follow directions on torque down and new shells because they are cheap.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 5:20pm
I was thinking you could get 1 under brgs from agco for rods. Would Have to look it up....
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 6:13pm
Thanks. I'll look into it.
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
cowkicker View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 8:07pm
in did an 8070 a few years ago and the rod bolts from agco were ARP bolts. I saved the number and meant to write it down in the service manual, but of course I didn't do it at that moment and now I can longer can find it. Thought it might come in handy in the future. Maybe you could give us the ARP number when you get your new bolts. Thanks
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 9:59pm
You can't get em from ARP. AGCO part # with ARP stamped in the head. My mechanic called ARP about them in 2010 and they had no information about them. Just saying....
70277489 is current part #. Priced at my dealer for $25.31 per rod(2 bolts) Come in a package of 6 sets for total of $151.86. HTH
I only see a .002 under listed. A supplier like Clevite or even F/mogul may supply a .001 under. The mains I got from AGCO were FM.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 26 Nov 2023 at 10:10pm
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 9:54am
  Use standard bearings, .001 extra clearance is nothing, actually frees up horse power.

Edited by NEVER green - 27 Nov 2023 at 10:54am
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 10:35am
.001 under are tighter to make up for very slight rod journal wear, or dialing in desired clearance. .001 over loosens it up. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic