This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8030 3 point

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh(NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8030 3 point
    Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 1:29pm
My 8030 developed an issue this summer while moving bales with the 3 point. As things warm up the hitch raises slower and when good and warm with the hitch up if you idle the engine down the hitch lowers. Oil levels are good, do i jump straight to the lift cylinder packing or is there other things to test first? Thanks
Allis Express
'65 190XT, 37 B, '72 170, '83 8030, and the IH 560 was a mistake
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 3:22pm
Sometimes you gotta make tools to verify problems. It might be the only time you ever use the tool, but it can save you a ton of time and $$$$$ coming up with the correct diagnosis.  Remove/disconnect the steel line that goes from the 3-point valve forward to the butt end of the hitch lift cylinder. Make a long hose to wrap around the backside with a shut-off valve of some kind in the middle of the hose. Connect hose to valve and cylinder butt end and open the valve. With the hitch raised and engine running, close the valve. The hydraulic pump will stall out at 2500 psi and hurts nothing temporarily. If the hitch drops down, the cylinder is leaking. Save the tool.
cowkicker View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 4:21pm
What if the cylinder doesn't leak down? My 8070 spray tractor is the same way.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 4:35pm
Probably the 3-point valve, BUT one should never expect a 3-point to hold up a load indefinitely either. They all settle some over a period of time. Like a guy I knew that parked his new combine in the shed with the corn head hanging over his garden tractor. Rained for a couple of days and when the sun shined the garden tractor was crushed. A problem with the combine ?? Not really. A problem with an operator thinking hydraulics hold forever.
Josh(NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh(NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 6:07pm
Makes sense doc. I will give that a try.
Allis Express
Josh(NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh(NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 4:27pm
I put a valve on the line going to the cylinder and closed it, no settling of the 3 point. Tore the valve apart and see no damage to the spool or the spring loaded metal seat. I did notice the clevis pin from the draft contol is missing but i dont see how that could affect the settling as the arm that actuates the spool moves freely.  What am i missing?
Allis Express
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 4:34pm
Well, it's not the cylinder, so it has to be the valve. Whether you can see it or not makes no diff. That's where the problem is.
Josh(NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh(NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 4:40pm
Am i correct the unhooked draft control is not affecting this?
Allis Express
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 4:59pm
No affect on holding a load.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic