This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4W-305 Controls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatTractorGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4W-305 Controls
    Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 12:00am
Hello, everybody! I've never been in the cab of a 4W-305, but would like to ask some questions about layout and operation.

I've driven an 8050 with the powershift. But never driven the 20-speed on any tractor.

I'm writing a fiction book about tractor pulling. In my fictional account, they have a Four-Wheel Drive tractor pull, and due to a series of events, a young lady ends up driving her friend's 4W-305 in the tractor pull against similar-sized opponents. She has only minimal experience driving this 305 around the fairgrounds for practice, though she has been driving smaller tractors for a long time.

I'm trying to describe the control layout and operation in the cab, but can't find a good picture or diagram or description of the controls. Could someone help me with that? Also the methodology for shifting the transmission, especially the power director under load.

Another question--weighing in around 27,500 with duals (I assume that weight includes duals?) do you think the tractor is more likely to stall out or spin out when stopped by the sled?

I saw a You-tube video where someone pulled a 4W-220 on a sled and it seemed like they got in trouble when they tried to shift on the go. Not sure if that was a power director move, or something else they did.

Any help with what it's like to drive one of these, and the layout and operation of the controls would be great. Thanks.
But without faith, it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is the rewarder of them that dilligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6.
Sponsored Links

ThatTractorGuy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatTractorGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 12:26am
Oh, and also--what is the dash cluster like, and what sorts of gauges and warning indicators are there?
But without faith, it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is the rewarder of them that dilligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 3:31am
So, I imagine myself waiting to pull onto the track to hook to the sled. I have 20 actual speed choices, and only one on-the-go shift, so the choice has to be correct. Too slow and the pull result won't be as far. Too fast and the engine will run out of power and stall. My choice with 305 HP would be 2nd gear in LOW range. Using the Power Director toggle lever, I start out in turtle speed and up-shift into rabbit speed. As I go down the track, if the load becomes too great for the engine, I can revert back to turtle speed on the Power Director clutch toggle lever, which is a 20% speed reduction. If only Dad had the engine "turned up" to 450 HP!! Then, I could run 3rd gear instead of 2nd gear !!! which would get me farther down the track !!

Edited by DrAllis - 04 Oct 2023 at 3:33am
Joe(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 7:36am
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 3:47pm
Don't those have a P pump? You don't need dad to turn the fuel screw you can do it!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatTractorGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

So, I imagine myself waiting to pull onto the track to hook to the sled. I have 20 actual speed choices, and only one on-the-go shift, so the choice has to be correct. Too slow and the pull result won't be as far. Too fast and the engine will run out of power and stall. My choice with 305 HP would be 2nd gear in LOW range. Using the Power Director toggle lever, I start out in turtle speed and up-shift into rabbit speed. As I go down the track, if the load becomes too great for the engine, I can revert back to turtle speed on the Power Director clutch toggle lever, which is a 20% speed reduction. If only Dad had the engine "turned up" to 450 HP!! Then, I could run 3rd gear instead of 2nd gear !!! which would get me farther down the track !!

This helps! Thanks.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatTractorGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Where are the three shifters located?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatTractorGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 11:27pm

Yes, those were helpful. Answered my most important questions about layout. Thanks!
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 11:27pm
Open the link joe posted and look through pictures.shows all your questions 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatTractorGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 7:56am
Originally posted by Mikez Mikez wrote:

Open the link joe posted and look through pictures.shows all your questions 

I did, thanks! It was very helpful.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatTractorGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 7:48pm
One thing I did want to check on is whether it has a transmission temperature light on the dash. I had this come one under load, to add some drama, but if there is no such light, then I should do something different instead....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic