This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

F2 oil pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: F2 oil pressure
    Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 9:11am
Have a 78 F2 with 3500 hrs. Noticed oil pressure reading low. Has electric sending unit. What's the chance its the sender or connection to gage? Nothing lasts forever full of oil.
Sponsored Links

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 11:37am
Put a good mechanical gauge on for a test run.That should give you clue, as to if it is really low or not.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 12:35pm
Also check alternator output, if voltage output is barely 12v(or a tad below) it may throw off all electronic gauges.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 1:09pm
Viewing the mechanical gage will be tricky going through the field. The question was go these things go bad? Obviously I can guge it in the shop WOT and see but that wasn't the answer to the question.
Voltmeter say 13 plus....

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 23 Sep 2023 at 1:10pm
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 8:42pm
With a good gauge on it, get it warmed up good and check gauge at low idle. 10 PSI or lower, may have bowed gasket in pump.                   MACK
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 6:58am
Replaced the electric sending unit in my grain truck last fall. 78 C-70 Chevy. It was all over the place, now it runs about 50 psi hot. They had it hid really well, took me forever to find the silly thing! Those sending units can go bad.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 6:21pm
Before replacing anything, try checking F2’s cab fuse panel for excessive dust, poor fuse contact, poor fuse wire connection, or bad fuse???

Good luck.

Edited by AC7060IL - 24 Sep 2023 at 6:22pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 1:04pm
Will try to get a good gage on it to confirm. I loosened, wiggled wire on sender retightened. Seems to run a little higher which is just under half but really drops off at idle. Good ole round 80 lb gage w/eighth in npt is hard to find theses days. Auto parts stores junk only attach with special fittings and a line. Guess I could put the sender on my pressure regulator and see how it reads.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic