This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7010 hi lo shift problem again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7010 hi lo shift problem again
    Posted: 25 Aug 2023 at 6:32pm
I had this problem last year where I got the shifter stuck in the middle of nowhere. I took the floor off. I disconnected the cables and pushed over on the small shifter and it worked fine until today. It is stuck again, I disconnected the cables and pushed and it won't move. I have the other shifter in neutral. The cables are new and move freely when disconnected. That shift knob on floor won't move forward or sideways. I also depressed the clutch and tried to move. Any ideas? Should i tap with a hammer to free it? I got hay down and really need it to work. I am not sure how to move the tractor in this condition. I am 8 miles from home too. Thanks for any help.
80 7010, 80 7020. 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2023 at 8:32pm
You don't say what position you were trying to shift into ??  probably PARK ?  You clearly have something internally worn out, like a shifting lug. This has become more and more prevelant on these 50 year old tractors, especially when they have been used as "chore" tractors....lots of shifting into PARK. The shift lever under the cab floor needs to be pointing straight UP to be in neutral. This is when looking at it from the side. It may be leaning left or right, but straight up from a side view should be neutral. So, whatever it takes to get it there and quit shifting it into PARK...just use LOW and HIGH until you can tear the range trans shift cover off and rebuild it, which isn't a small job.
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2023 at 8:55pm
Dr allis, you are right in that I was going into park when it jappened. I did finally get the shifter to go into high. I should say I am not sure I really got it into high. I think it is stuck in high. It is moving so going to not use park at all, as you recommend. Once I get done with hay and get it home, I will work on it more. I have used it a bunch as a work tractor so it may be wearing out. Cutting hay and baling hay the past two years. It is my primary tractor. I am probably about done with hay this year anyway. Curious about how big of a job? Thanks for your advice.
80 7010, 80 7020. 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 9:25am
I don't drive this tractor as much as my son.  I asked him about the behavior and he says that it recently has been very hard to put into low gear.  He would push the lever back and as he let out on the clutch, it would come out of gear.  He had to push into high and then back to low to get it to stay in low sometimes.  He also indicated that he had to push the clutch all the way to the floor to also get it into gear.  Slight grinding was occurring if not.  This has just come about in the last month.  Of course, it has been worked harder this last month due to all of the baling.  I haven't bothered trying to get it out of high yet as we are still baling.  Not sure if any of these details shed any light on the possible issue being a shifting lug or not.  I need it to work as is for 3 more weeks and then I can deal with it.  I do hate not having park though.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 9:34am
When you get the range transmission shift cover removed, you won't believe how badly the shift lug and interlock pin will be worn. You'll wonder how it ever worked at all in recent times.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2023 at 6:19am
Still curious about what all do you have to remove to then remove the hi/lo cover and fix this issue?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2023 at 6:28am
Cab floor. Range transmission cover. Right side fuel tank. Some hydraulic lines. Big round cover , which is the shift cover.  6 hour job.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2023 at 9:11am
That doesn't sound too bad.  I already have the cab floor off.  Not tackled the fuel tank before.  I will have to look at the Hydraulic lines.  Once I get the cover off, are there other parts that should be replaced while I am there besides the shift lock and interlock pin?  I have a service manual so will have to read up on it.  Be a month before I tackle it at this point.  Probably take me 18 hours since I don't know what I am doing.  Thanks for the removal advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic