This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for advice
    Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 9:39pm
I really like my 82 S mower. However, some guards were replaced before I bought it. So I have a miss match of 803973 guards no ledger plates which I believe to be original. Some other guards that have ledger plates. When I purchased the mower I switched to Herschel A+ section, better known as tiger teeth section. In thick grasses, weeds it does a good job. But in 2nd cut orchard grass or fine grass it tends to clog up in the tip of the guard. I called Herschel today and they recommend section S20-5246 which is a 14 tooth seriated section. A G81-0803 guard which is a non leader plate guard which they said was the same design as the factory guard. My question is, what are others out there using for fine grass? I’m looking at $350 to replace all guards and sections, just wanna make sure I will get the results I’m looking for.
Thanks Rob
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Sponsored Links

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 9:45pm
Run the double guard by New Holland, then you will need only one single guard. They need to be tight and straight. The blade needs to be the same. Hold downs should keep blade down, use a business card as a feeler for these. The end section on blade is best if a double is used, I like the New Holland runner head out on end with a ledger plate for the tip of blade. cut a bazillion acres with a 80r mower. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 11:03pm
Any "Tiger tooth" section (double teeth) won't work well because the sickle register (stroke) is off 1 1/2". Whenever you do this on a combine you must change the sickle register for it to really work well. Been thru and dun that !!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2023 at 6:38am
AC720 man, are you sure that you don't mean "tiger shark" sections, which are still a single section, but have a serration to them that make them look like they'd cut small trees?
Darrel
1963D17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1963D17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2023 at 7:39am
Rule is serrated ledger plate-smooth section. Smooth guard(double guard)- serrated section. Both New Holland and Crary make adjustable hold downs. They work great for keeping the knife down. Both styles are available from Schoup.
JK in Pa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JK in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2023 at 7:52am
I went the same way as Tracy. New Holland twins and under serrated sections. Mowed 90 acres for five years with the 80R before having to touch anything. Seems to mow in any grass conditions. I hope this helps.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2023 at 11:12pm
Thanks, appreciate the input. That’s what Herschel recommended also.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic