This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The first tractor I ever drove

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The first tractor I ever drove
    Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 4:24pm
This D17 SerIII was the first tractor that I ever operated. My father put me on the seat and climbed onto a hay wagon behind. Pull that lever and drive in a circle. He threw hay off for the cows as I creeped around in 1st low. I thought I was a king !!! 4 maybe 5 years old. I can remember arguing with my mother about kindergarten. I can't go to school, who is going to help dad feed the cows,?
Well the tractor has seen better days . My father gave it to a good friend of his . He has passed and the family is trying to clean up. Motor was pulled 20 years ago and crank was past tolerances. Can't find the block anywhere. I will grab what's left .I at least want the front end and tin. Rear rims are shot. Who knows,,,, I may try to find a donor ser3 and bring it back to life. Right now I will save it from the scrappers.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Sponsored Links

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 4:26pm
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 4:53pm
I have my grandfather's WF (still in pieces but making progress) that I was first allowed to really do anything on my own, rake hay. I had a couple warnings; don't stall it (because it had to be cranked) and go straight. 
Although it was about 60 years ago, I remember it like it was yesterday!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 5:40pm
He'll Pat, that things almost ready to go...
another seat , some lights, put the latches back on, find the cultivator that fit the mounts and set another engine in and button her up.
 From here the wheels don't look half bad.
an the best part, you still got the belt pulley on it! Your durn near ready to fill silo or run a buzz saw or a threshing machine or a sawmill.

Look in the back of any pickups and in sheds,  in the garage, corn crib, or the barn.
 That would be something I would drag home just because it was some past heritage.
 Your a lucky fellow.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 6:00pm
Pat ma' man!
Looks like that ole' girl been sittin' there for quite some time with the small tree's growing up through it. I'd definitely be draggin' that bugger outta' there if that's the Tractor I learned on, and it was my Dads fir' sure! Keep lookin' around, you might find the block! Hope you can find a parts Tractor and put that baby together!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 6:05pm
well their isnt has many pieces to loose right now
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 6:56pm
Pat you are the lucky one!! get at it!!
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 7:01pm
We ran a buzz saw and a cider mill off of that belt pulley. I can remember my dad buying the pulley at an auction.

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 8:29pm
Nice history. Yup save it, bring it home
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 1:45am
Save it!!!!

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
tractorboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 2:20am
That's good history , ya gotta save it !
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 5:51am
A great Allis story. It can be yard art until you decide what to do with it. It's the journey.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 6:49am
Awesome story, Pat. When you get that back to life, it'll look good at Hutchinson with the all crop that you saved
Darrel
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 7:12am
That's a great story Pat. Good luck bringing it back to life. Hopefully you progress faster than my project. Can't believe it's been 2 years already
Tenn allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenn allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 8:28am
Reminds me when I was a youngster dad had a D17 gas narrow front end I hadn’t started school yet dad had made a 2 wheel wagon out off wood probably had a front end from a truck for an axle and he would haul silage from the pit up to the feed troughs with it. I remember him letting me drive the first time by myself we had fed the cows and was going back thru a few gates so he decided to let me drive so he wouldn’t have to get off and on and needless to say the first gate met with disaster I guess I forgot what he told me to stop the tractor by putting the power director in neutral made it thru the gate fine but the barbed wire fence wasn’t good. Tore the fence down in 2 places went thru it the first time then turned and came back thru it at a different place pops was not happy
On another note dad made side money by picking corn for neighbors and I would go with him ride the tool box on the fender it just amazed me when you put the pto lever in gear that it would start the 2 row new idea mounted corn picker and all those chains and fans would be running on what seemed like a humongous machine
Ah those were the days life was simple then. God bless ya all and have a Merry Christmas
Leadoff View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leadoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 11:39am
Pat the Plumber

You are very fortunate to have the D17 and the great memories as you proceed with your project.  Replace the missing items to get it mobile, and then you can take the restoration process as far as you want, enjoying every minute!!

Good luck and looking forward to progress reports!!!
1963 D17D Series III. 1965 D15 Series II. 1965 D17 Series IV. 1975 185. 1978 716H. 1979 716H. 1965 780 Harvester/1R&DC. 1957 Model 73 SC 4 Furrow Plow
Flyer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 12:55pm
My uncle put me on this one when I was six with pretty much the same instructions ("Point it that way") while he threw hay off the wagon behind it.  The restoration brought back a lot of good memories for me.
An optimist sees the glass as half full. The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The engineer sees a glass with double the required capacity.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 7:24pm
Thanks for all the responses guys . I plan on saving as much as I can find . I am limited on no place to store properly or work on in inclimate weather. I should be able to protect it better than it is now. I knew this was coming for a while but it all landed in my lap when the family decided to sell the property. Same place that I drug the 72 allcrop out of. I need to concentrate on a shop, garage next year and then the restoration projects can start. I am sure it will be a long drawn out process on both the 72 and D17 . I can start to gather parts in the meantime. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 7:43pm
The first tractor conversation got me thinking "I wonder where pawpaw's MF235 is now". Last time I saw it was at my uncle Harold's place in Mississippi. That's been about 25 years ago. Had my aunt message Harold's daughter in law to see if it's still around. I guess we'll see. I've got another aunt that has pawpaw's Ford 2000 and we've had a conversation about it but that's been about a year ago. I've seen her several times in the past year but nothing has been mentioned. Her husband bought it from pawpaw sometime in the early 80's I think. Since I was born in 82 I don't remember that one at all but I certainly do remember the Massey. I guess we'll see what they say.

Hey Pat, first thing you should do is get a seat on it. Then sit in the seat and hold the steering wheel. Bet you'll have to fight back some tears

Edited by thendrix - 18 Dec 2022 at 7:44pm
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Ken Mn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Mn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 8:16pm
The first tractor I ever drove was my dad's 1938 F14 Farmall. Would love to see it again but has most likely been melted down. Had crank start, no starter or lights. Three speeds forward, no road gear. I spent a lot of hours on it and have a lot of good memories. 
Jacob (WI,ND) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob (WI,ND) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 9:56pm
Hey Pat, be sure to keep us updated on this project.  Nothing better than finding a family tractor!  Even if it is a project.  Like you said, get yourself a shop built, and then the fun can begin.  Doesn't even need to be a huge shop, you've seen what I can accomplish in my tiny shop, LOL! Congratulations! 
Jacob Swanson
1920 6-12; 1925,1926 20-35 longfenders; 1925,1926 15-25's; 1927,1929 20-35 shortfenders; C; B's; IB; WC's; WD; WD45
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 11:52pm
Get her put together. I got the 1957 WD45 I first drove in 1957. I had to completely rebuild the engine, put a foot clutch and a hand clutching it + 4 new tires, rebuild the narrow front end, rebuild the starter, had it and the Genny converted to 12 volts. I put a D17 coil on it. I also put new brakes on it. Dad had sheep and they scratched their backs on the bottom of the brake housings. Their oily wool lubed the brake pins and They came right out. Several years ago I passed it to my #2 son. I still enjoy sitting and remembering the rebuilding.
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 12:01am
I'll bet many of us that had a father, grandpa,uncle or whatever that had a WD or 45 have permanent indentations in our butts from riding the tool box with the latch open. They were known to pinch on rough ground! I can relate to your pain but please don't post a selfie to prove it.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 6:57am
 Well Pat, if I can do it you can too. I checked off two projects this year. A Ford 8N my grandfather bought new and an International pickup my Dad bought new. Pictures are on my website.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 12:46am
We had an early AC B, no iights, starter or pto.  My Dad's cousin bought it when we moved to Colorado. He or his son still has it and uses it, I wanted to buy it back but that doesn't look like it will happen.  The first one I drove was a Ferguson,borrowed from a neighbor,  probably a TO 20 or 30, my dad put me on it at 6 to drive forward while he put boxes of peaches on a trailer.  I couldn't reach the clutch on the B but could pull the brake lever on my side when we rode it together.  Something I still remember clearly after 68 years!
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 4:33pm
Pat that is pretty neat!
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic